Sign in to follow this  

What's The Effect Of New 64 Bit Processors On FS.

I admit, I don't understand about the new 64 bit processors that are just around the corner.Will FS and current programs even run on these new systems? And...What's the anticipated effect on FS performance if they do ?I ask this because I need to upgrade soon. My 1.8 GHz machine just doesn't get it !Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Software has to be written for 64 bit systems in order to take full advantage of it. It may run fs but as a 32 bit application. It may even be slower as it may need to run in a sort of emulation mode.It will be awhile as software takes forever to catch up.BobG

Guest Max Cowgill

>Software has to be written for 64 bit systems in order to>take full advantage of it. It may run fs but as a 32 bit>application. It may even be slower as it may need to run in a>sort of emulation mode.>It will be awhile as software takes forever to catch up.>BobGClose but no cigar, Bob. The "new 64 bit processors" being referred to are the Athlon 64 CPUs, which use AMD's x86-64 standard. It is still a 32-bit processor (as are all modern consumer CPUs since the 386) but it has the capability to run 64-bit applications. Unlike Intel's Itanium 64-bit CPU, the Athlon 64 does not have to run 32-bit software in any kind of emulation mode. 32-bit software does *NOT* have to be re-written or re-compiled to run on the Athlon 64. Software can, however, be re-compiled to take advantage of the 64-bit capability of said CPUs. While it is true that software does have to be re-compiled to take *full* advantage of Athlon 64's new capabilities, the enhanced architecture of the Athlon 64 (in comparison to the current Athlon XP CPUs) does allow it (Athlon 64) to run 32-bit apps faster than the Athlon XP at the same clock speed. So a 2.0GHz Athlon 64 should be faster than a 2.0GHz Athlon XP in 32-bit mode, as well as running the same software faster in 64-bit mode (if available).Not to rag on you or anything but if you're not absolutely sure about an answer to a technical question that's being asked (as evidenced by your use of the word "may" twice) perhaps you should refrain from answering or at least put a disclaimer in your post to avoid confusion. This is not a flame by any means, just trying to help clear things up.-Max Cowgill

Just a thought Max, maybe he was sure of his answer, maybe that is what he read on another site, I have heard the same thing as well. He was trying to help, although the info may have been a bit misleading, you were able to shed light on it, no harm, no foul, just my thoughts.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Not everybody is an expert Max. I for one appreciate anybodys attempt to answer a question in the spirit of the fact that this is a community forum.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Max Cowgill

You appreciate the furtherance of misinformation? You're not the Iraqi Information Minister in disguise are you? ;)

Thanks Max for the education. You certainly know your stuff. But I did used words such as"to take full advantage", "It may run "," It may even be slower ","may need to run" You see I am not trying to impress anyone but..... As you get older the ego thing will diminish somewhat.Thanks againBob G

Obviously you will need 64 bit code to get the best out of the processor. What I would like to know is whether there will be a 64 bit version of DirectX and what impact, if any, this will have on game performance.