Sign in to follow this  
L1011_pilot

How much hard drive space FSX Covers...

Good Morning,I would like to know how much HDD space FSX occupies when it is finished installing. I know that the FSX system requirement box says 15GB of HDD space but I don't know if that refers to the compact install, or if that's the size of FSX if a full install is done. I just want to know what is the approximate size of a full FSX installation, without any addons, since I will do a 103GB bootcamp partition that will have Windows 7 (64-bit) on it, which will leave me only with about 83GB of space to install FSX and it's SDK.I will appreciate any help in this matter.

I think(!!) my FSX/SDK was 25-26 gigs installed....I may be wrong,but I think that was about it...HTH Lou

Good Morning,I would like to know how much HDD space FSX occupies when it is finished installing. I know that the FSX system requirement box says 15GB of HDD space but I don't know if that refers to the compact install, or if that's the size of FSX if a full install is done. I just want to know what is the approximate size of a full FSX installation, without any addons, since I will do a 103GB bootcamp partition that will have Windows 7 (64-bit) on it, which will leave me only with about 83GB of space to install FSX and it's SDK.I will appreciate any help in this matter.
No idea on the base requirement but I will tell you this. If you become or are an avid flying and intend to get the most experience out of this sim you will need a ton more space than that.I am currently using 134 gigs for FSX. I have begun adding many of the best payware items like FTX, GEX, REX. You will want them. Many dedicate an entire drive for their flightsims. I have FS9 still on board and use it periodically for various planes and scenery etc, it sits on its own external 2 terabit drive and its so loaded it has created cracks in my house foundation.My FSX is also on its own 2 terabit drive, and I can just keep on loading it up and not worry about space (the final frontier).And worse yet, I have parallel drives that completely back up the main drives because I experienced a harddrive failure some years back and lost the whole damn thing and was not properly backed up. I leave nothing to chance now. It will save you major grief if you lose a HD or worse corrupted OS and your main root drive because a restore just won't cut it.Space - you can never have too much in my opinion.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I think(!!) my FSX/SDK was 25-26 gigs installed....I may be wrong,but I think that was about it...HTH Lou
Just installed it to the 2nd drive on my new computer, FSX plus accelleration, it looks as though it has taken about 16gb.

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Just installed it to the 2nd drive on my new computer, FSX plus accelleration, it looks as though it has taken about 16gb.
So it took you about 16GB did you do a full install or a compact one?

You can't do a compact one. It's all or nothing. I have a 80 SSD with Windows 7 on it AND FSX... I have various Orbx addons (PNW and 4 addon airports) and about 4 or 5 addon aircraft installed. I still have more than enough room left. So it all depends on what you like to use beside default FSX.Mind you, I also have REX, FEX, ASE, FS Passengers, G-Plan and even had some photoreal scenery installed at one time (VFR Horizon), but... all those addons are installed on another disk! I do suppose you will have another disk beside that 103 Gb one...? For data etc.? Simply install everything that doesn't really NEED to be installed on the same disk as FSX, and you will have space enough. If I can make if with W7 and FSX on a 80 Gb SSD for more than half a year now without getting into problems, you should have no problems with a 103 disk.I wonder though why you want to install FSX on your OS disk...?

Full install, once I'm happy with things I will install my addon aircraft and scenery, I've 1tb of disk space to dedicate to FSX.

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Ahh...Ok,thanks,Les...Wasn,t sure...However,I,m at 260 gigs now and not looking back...Lou

I wonder though why you want to install FSX on your OS disk...?
Never mind that remark or the rest of my post: I didn't fully realize you were talking about a bootcamp partition...