Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Liveries don't install

I am having trouble getting the PMDG 747 liveries to install correctly. I run the installers and the texture files are added to the PMDG747-400 folder and the aircraft.cfg is updated in the normal way but the liveries don't display in FSX - show all variations is ticked. I have added liveries to many other aircraft in FSX with no problems so this is a puzzle.Any suggestions appreciated.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

An update. I have now found that I can manually add some of the PMDG 747 repaints in the AVSIM library but not others. By and large the older repaints (circa 2008) seem to install OK but not the newer ones. The only possible common factor with the repaints that won't load is DXT5 textures. Perhaps that might give someone a clue as to what is going here.Thanks

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

It's more likely a permission issue (admin) with the installer. Right click it and choose run as administrator. DXT5 is a good framerate texture for FSX, infact some people convert their dds files to dxt5 sometime. If they are an issue, maybe the creator botched something? If you provide a link to one of the ones you're having issues with I will take a closer look.Also, please sign your posts with full name in this forum, thanks.(or add it to your sig like below)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Well I can't get any of the repaints on the PMDG site to work. Running as administrator makes no difference - in any case the files are all loaded into their correct locations and the aircraft.cfg is updated correctly its just that the new repaints don't display in FSX even with all variants checked. So far I can't get any of the repaints on AVSIM to work either except for a couple of the older ones that don't seem to have DXT5 textures eg Qantas VHOEGBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Ok Bruce but how about the name thing I took the time to mention?http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/Do you have SP1 for FSX or better?I would try these, in order of 1st to last. If it doesn't help move on to the next.1.) Try unchecking "Show all Variants", shutting down the sim, restarting it and then check it again. I have had this problem with different options and had to do this.2.) Try adding Admin rights to your FSX folder itself and disabling User account control *UAC.3.) Hold down CTRL+SHIFT, then launch FSX. Keep them held while it's loading and wait (do not let go). After a minute or so it will start, but be warned it will rebuild FSX.CFG and redo your controls so you'll need to redo any settings you had before. It won't hurt anything you have installed.4.) Run a repair with your main PMDG installer and also the C++ redistribs (it should prompt you).5.) Make sure you have the latest C++ runtimes for both 32 and 64bit installed, and also see if there are any updates for .Net framework (Version 4 was just released, and works great for me). Hope one of these helps. Something is definitely not playing nice here.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Sorry about the name thing I assumed "signed" meant the forum name use on every other forum here on AVSIM and elsewhere but happy to use my real name which isn't much different "Bruce Bartlett" hence bruceb.Now thanks for your suggestions I will give them a try. I have FSX gold installed (ie FSX plus acceleration) UAC has been disabled since I installed win 7 and I'm always logged in as administrator and Net framework 4 is installed but not sure on the c++ runtimes.Bruce Bartlett

Bruce Bartlett

I have FSX Gold as well with acceleration running without issues. Even though you're logged in as administrator, do yourself a favor and verify you have "Full Control" under your folder securities for FSX. Even if you have full blown admin rights, MS felt the need to still block allot of write priveledges.I'm hopeful that #1 will help, if not it's probably going to be #3. One question I forgot to ask is, did you ever get an error when starting FSX about something to do with having multiple names of aircraft being the same?I think it only relates to -8 paints but am pretty sure the problem was fixed so don't think that's our issue.

Dan Prunier

did you ever get an error when starting FSX about something to do with having multiple names of aircraft being the same?I think it only relates to -8 paints but am pretty sure the problem was fixed so don't think that's our issue.
As a matter of fact I did get get this error and I think it was for the 747 and another aircraft when I started installing repaints a week or so ago after an FSX reinstall - fixed by removing the duplicate names. As things stand I have been able to get a number of repaints installed by a bit of cutting and pasting so I think I will leave this for the time being and go onto other things like relearning how to fly the 747. Thank you for your assistance.Bruce Bartlett

Bruce Bartlett