Sign in to follow this  
Uly5

Learjet Corkscrew Mission Engines won't Restart?

How Do I get the Engine to restart? I get to 6000 no problem in spiral. I try to restart engine number 1...N1 gets to 13.3 and doesn't go any further?I am pretty much a rookie with planes so I am probably doing something wrong?I have used Ctrl-e and the engine pop up panel to try to restart with no luck.If I get the engine to restart I think I can land no problems.Uly

Just flip the start button switches on in other aircraft not sure about the learjet... Once you do that the N1 will pass 13.3 and the engine will start.Here's a checklist I found online credit goes to this site http://www.mcrenox.com.ar/fs/checklists/Learjet_45.pdf

Thrust Levers IDLE

Engine Area CLEAR

Fuel Flow ON (Ctrl-Shift-F4)

L and R IGN Buttons ON

Left Engine START

Fuel Flow CHECK

N1 increasing as N2 incr. CHECK

Oil Pressure CHECK

Start Button OFF** once the engine starts

Repeat for Right Engine

Engine Instruments CHECK NORMAL

L and R GEN SwitchesBe carfeul to stay within 1 mile of the runway while landing.

Ok I have tried many different ways including the startup procedure you provided here....I cannot restart the engine! :(I tried a free flight with the learjet and had no problem starting the engine from a cold start.I have no idea why the engine won't restart.Uly

I guess you've hit some sort of bug, try flying the mission again--- from the start

Yeah I've been thinking that too. I tried the mission from the begining and still the same result :(But I did manage to land the lear jet on one engine lolIt wasn't the proper way to complete the mission, but atleast its completed.Thanks for your helpUly

Yea, there full of bugs so anyway you can beat them is fine. I once re-installed FSX just to be able to beat a mission.

Yea, there full of bugs so anyway you can beat them is fine. I once re-installed FSX just to be able to beat a mission.
Wow, I never thought that about the missions (a problem here or there that was resolved later)... sry to hear you had so many problems Luckyman. :(
How Do I get the Engine to restart?
As far as this mission is concerned, I don't think you are supposed to be able to use both Engines to land... the IP says "We may throw some additional challenges at you to keep it realistic, so be prepared for anything." :( Fwiw, a Multi-Engine (Airplane) Rating is all about learning to fly a Twin-Engine airplane on One Engine. Then it's very important to maintain that proficiency. As an Instructor myself (no type-ratings tho) I would see this type of scenario as a "Perfect" opportunity to fail an Engine. There a very nice article on AVWEB about Twin-Piston Engine flying: Flying a Multi-Engine Airplane by Andrew Boyd, that's worth a read. In the article he references a video by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: "Optimized Engine-Out Procedures for Multi-Engine Airplanes". There's a booklet that could be purchased with the video too (at least used to be)... The presentation is mainly a multi-engine student talking w/ his professor (it's good) but the information the Prof. gives is absolutely fantastic. It should be a part of any RW Multi-Engine Pilot's library.There's one scenario where the IP says, "Simulated missile hit and engine fire, number one! Shut it down!" I don't believe the idea to be to restart that engine especially since it has already "caught fire". :( There's a second scenario where the IP says, “Simulated missile lock! Shut down both engines for now so they can't track us. Since this is just an exercise, we'll restart number two once we get to 4,000. In a real hot zone, we might take it even lower before the restart."In the second, I found the No. 2 (starboard) Engine will not restart unless the No. 1 (port) Engine lights off first. I suppose you can take your choice there... light off just No. 1 (which makes LH Turns very difficult) or restart both... Or maybe just land with Both Engines Inop. I think the IP wants you to hit the "Key Position" (Downwind point Abeam intended Landing Point) at 3000' msl. If you plan ahead to land w/o either operating (or the one good one idling)... see how much altitude you lose during a 180° Turn and add that to whatever height you wish to be at rolling out onto final... then leave the Key Position at roughly that altitude.One other thing that really helps is to make sure before flying this mission that the "Autorudder" is Unchecked. This will aid tremendously in taming the yaw-monster the FSX Lear morphs into.

There's a second scenario where the IP says, “Simulated missile lock! Shut down both engines for now so they can't track us. Since this is just an exercise, we'll restart number two once we get to 4,000. In a real hot zone, we might take it even lower before the restart."
This is what I heard the first time I tried this mission...I wasn't sure what to do and I crashed. The rest of the times I tried this mission i heard this.....
There's one scenario where the IP says, "Simulated missile hit and engine fire, number one! Shut it down!"
That would make sense if the engine is hit and on fire then it probably wouldn't restart.I will try again later this mission and listen more carefully to what the instructor says. I really like this mission...even tho I find it hard. I have never heard of a corkscrew maneuver before being so new to flying. It always amazes me what real pilots have to do and learn in aviation.Uly