Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Realizim Question (Real Pilot)

Guest N73GX

If it were 20 degrees F. and I did all the things nessassary to get in the air Safly, and in mid flight opened my crowl flaps to full wouldnt my engine frezze up in time due to atmospheric conditions?Thanks

You always want to monitor your cylinder temperature gauge to keep the engine within operating temperature limits-so yes you probably could damage the engine if left open long enough, and the engine temps got too cold for too long.My plane doesn't have cowl flaps-however I flew it this winter vfr at night in -10 F (ground temp) which is the coldest I have every had my plane out out.The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to slow it down (much increased performance due to low temps) and descend without the engine cooling too much (cylinder temp getting too low). I dropped the gear at the start of my descent rather than waiting till the downwind-the drag from the gear allowed me to descend at a lower airspeed and keep more power on to keep the cylinder temp in the green.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest N73GX

Thanks Geof Missed flying on the server with you all but this Skymaster Project is adictive but I will soon be in there flying with ya guys. Where are you guys now?Thanks