Sign in to follow this  
Guest tunno

Where to start descent approaching heathrow?

Guest tunno

Hello there! I'm using the PSS Concorde for FS2004. I have no problems flying from heathrow to new york, exept I always struggle when it comes to the point where i have to descend and decelerate. I have to refer to the tutorial all the time. This causes a problem when i want to do a return flight to london. can anyone give me a quick tutorial on the deceleration and descent procedure for flying to london from new york? i.e: where i should start the descent, descent rate, airspeeds ect ect. thanks ever so muchtunno! :D

Hello there! I'm using the PSS Concorde for FS2004. I have no problems flying from heathrow to new york, exept I always struggle when it comes to the point where i have to descend and decelerate. I have to refer to the tutorial all the time. This causes a problem when i want to do a return flight to london. can anyone give me a quick tutorial on the deceleration and descent procedure for flying to london from new york? i.e: where i should start the descent, descent rate, airspeeds ect ect. thanks ever so muchtunno! :D
You need to be subsonic no later than 55nm before MATIM (148 DME 117.45 BCN. Descent is accomplished by reducing thrust while in ALT HLD in two stages (18 deg and 32 deg throttle angle) until you are at 350 KIAS and then do a 350 IAS descent. Reduce thrust to idle below Mach 1.00. You should be at about FL37 and at 0.94 Mach KIAS when 55nm MATIM and continue like this until you need to descend into EGLL. Again 350 IAS HLD (descent mode , NOT autothrottle. You should reduce speed to 250 KIAS below FL10.I cannot remember how far from MATIM you need to start reducing thrust, but I would try 150 nm. The charts with the concorde should tell you, as it will depend on winds.Just make sure you dont lay your supersonic boom over land !! Have a look on http://www.concordesst.com/home.html I think they have real flightplans for the INS. I use the SSTSIM concorde and using the real flightplans with the CIVA INS unit (much more realistic than the one on the PSS concorde) works a dream.Peter

Peter Schluter

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.