Sign in to follow this  

Like I predicted, US Supreme Court Rules Vouchers Const

Hi Christopher, I agree, but I think that language already exists when it defines who is eligible for vouchers and who isn't. Simply stated, if Joe Lotsacash wants to send his children to a private school, he should give up the alloy wheels option on his next Jaguar.marco

I am sorry, but you are gravely misinformed.Private/Parochial/Charter schools very much have to conform to which courses must be taught. Even home-taught students have to meet these requirements.When I was in high school (Catholic), every student, whether public or non-public had to take (in semesters): 8 Math, 8 English, 6 social science, 6 science, 2 phys ed, 3 development (eg computing) and 6 foreign language. These were core competencies ... they also had to fulfill numerous electives. For me, I had 8 of Religion. I also had 8 Latin (2 of which were considered elective).I was in the top 3% of my class, but almost didn't graduate because I was missing 1 phys ed credit. Whether I was at my high school or the public high school down the street, I would have been in the same predicament.marco

I share your sentiment.In the business world, people get fired when they don't cut it. Gov't needs to realize this, and, using your words, be "good riddance" when it comes to the idea that working for a gov't entity is a gravy train and those that aren't up to snuff.marco

"Private/Parochial/Charter schools very much have to conform to which courses must be taught. Even home-taught students have to meet these requirements.""Marco; if you're responding to me, I was referring to which "God" they have to worship and how they worship that "God". Not the core reading, writing and math courses. There's no way the state is going to impose it's will on whether or not Yassar's or Osama's teachings are not proper. That would be equivalent to the state telling you that you cannot believe in ******* and directly contrary to the free exercise clause.

Hi mgdb, Sorry for the mis-understanding. A few of your sentences were ambiguous and I responded to those. You are correct ... the states can't dictate which religious curriculum the schools could and couldn't teach, although I'm sure a school who taught "kill as many not-us as you can" wouldn't be around long; either by action of the state or the local community.marco

That was a rather extreme example. Mainly just to prove the point.