Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Help...what do I do when installing new Vid card?

Help..please. Tonight I'm installing a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card (128). I'm pulling out an ATI 9700TX (128) card and selling it to one of my friends who's building computer, and asked me to sell him my card.I have a Dell 8250 with 1024RDRAM, and am looking forward to taking a "positive step" by installing the 9800 Pro.Tell me....what do I have to do with FS9 config.? Will the sim just recognize it, or do I have to manually change something since I've been running MSFS on the 9700?Your advice on doing this right is important to me. Please let me know how to do this properly. Stan

Stan - You won't need to do anything. There is no 9800 Pro-specific entry in the display.cfg file but FS9 will correctly recognize the card and properly update the FS9.cfg file anyway. You will probably end up with multiple entries in the FS9.cfg file (one for the 9700 and one for the 9800) but that doesn't hurt anything. After you have the 9800 installed you can safely delete the FS9.cfg 9700 entry if you want to tidy things a bit. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks Doug. I once heard about saving the FS9 config somewhere, then delete it in FS2004, and letting the sim "rebuild" a new one. I wasn't sure if that was something that had to be done, or just let "nature take its course". Stan

Just make sure you FULLY remove the old drivers before putting the 9800 in. (even if you're using the latest Catalysts, it's probably best to remove and reinstall once the new card is in)Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,Good advice...should be able to do that from My Computer, Device Manager and Uninstall Driver. That should do a complete job, right? Stan

Guest Bigshot

I would think he could just unplug the old card and plug in the new. They're basically the same cards and same drivers. If it was me, I'd turn the machine off, stick in the new card, boot her up and see if it works. ATI drivers are easy as long as your not coming from an Nvidia driver. Then you got a mess to clean up.

Whats the problem with coming from Nvidia and going to the reaeon Pro?? Seems to me if you get rid of all your Nidia files, reg entries and tweakers, set to standard vga adapter and go from there it should work fine? Im thinking of getting one of these today!!!!! Replace my GF4 4200, it just cant do AA in this sim.hornit

Guest Bigshot

That's what I was referring too. You need to make sure everything Nvidia is gone. I don't know; maybe going from a 9700 to a 9800 Pro, he might want to delete the 9700 from the device manager and shut down. Then put the new card in just to make sure the computer sees the new card. If he's using the same drivers, he shouldn't have to change them. Any thoughts?

Guest daveg4otu

I think that whenever you change the card,even if going from Nvidia to Nvidia or ATI to ATI,it pays to clean out entirely and reset to "standard VGA adaptor" before loading the new drivers.It may being fussy but doing it that way can avoid a lot of grief.Dave

Guest Bigshot

That's always a good idea; but he's not changing or updating drivers. Just video cards that take the same drivers. Why remove em' and then turn right around an put em' back in?? Removing the 9700 Primary and 9700 Secondary from the device manager would probably be a good idea though?Omega recommends that you leave existing ATI drivers in place and overwrite them when upgrading drivers. Just remove the control panel first. That's what I do. I like his drivers and the ease of install. I know Nvidia is different. The old should always be removed first.