Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Autogen On or Off ?

Guest victorwest

Last night I was flying over Sydney with my autogen set at high and my height around 2000 feet. While I was looking around I thought to myself how a bit "cartoony" some of the buildings looked and how some appeared to be bigger than they should. Hmmm, I thought. I wonder what it would look like with no autogen. I've got the UK vfr photographic scenery and, to me, that looks very realistic at 2000feet plus. So I decided to reduce the autogen to nil. The resulting scenery looked very good I thought. It was late so I didn't have a chance to look at any other areas. I will do so tonight. I guess that some areas will need autogen. For example wooded hills and the like but I'm interested to find out what areas (cities and towns?) may look better without it at vfr cruising altitudes.Victor

Guest Milamber

Well personally I like MegaScenery's approach which allows autogen over UK VFR which doesn't. So I guess I would say I think the sim in general looks better with the autogen, it just doesn't need to be set all the way to the right. I usually leave it at normal. (Unless I want to fly in NYC and see it REALLY populated hehehe)

Autogen buildings are about twice as big as they should be in real life, and the xml-placed buildings (gas stations, those funny "fish" buildings) look quite cartoony indeed.My current autogen "preference" is as follows:US and Canada - I recently got FScene. These addon textures do not contain custom .agn files so the autogen does not line up with the textures. Also, the textures themselves look so good that autogen usually ruins them rather than improving the scenery. So, I usually fly with Autogen off. The exception is winter, where autogen looks pretty nice on top of the FScene winter textures.Over Megascenery, I tend to use Autogen most of the time. Placement is a bit inaccurate but because of the low detail of of the satellite imgaes, autogen adds some to the realism. Megascenery 3 - NorCal is supposed to feature much better and more accurate autogen placement so it will be interesting to see how it looks.Europe - I fly mostly over Real Germany, Switzerland Professional and the UK VFR scenery so no autogen.When flying over northern Europe (generic scenery) I use the FinnBuildings 2004 replacement autogen buildings and no default.xml or vector objects. I'm still using default scenery textures but I might purchase FScene Europe at some point.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP