Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

I'm in a mesh in the UK ...

OK, UK. There's the LAGO mesh if you've got a few bucks. There's Raimondo Taburet's mesh. There's 'Lightmesh'. There's Pietro Mauri's mesh. There's Eddie Denney's mesh. There's Justin Tyme's FSGenesis mesh. And now, there's Andy's mesh (who's Andy?!) in three parts for the UK.One, why is everybody doing the same thing, as many are based on similar data. Two, which is the best, please, someone who knows?My own cut on this to date is that the FSGenesis and the latest mesh by 'Andy' look best in areas I know well; but I'd appreciate any other input on this.There's certainly a lot of choice. Oh, while I'm at it, anyone know where I can find a Boeing for flightsim?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

>Oh, while I'm at it, anyone know where I can find a Boeing for flightsim?

Sorry, Deltawing man, yes, I was joking. I've got about four million Boeings which was the whole point; there are so many of them to choose from. The real fun for me is to find original stuff in the libraries that people have not modelled or painted before.I confess that I come from a generation where we used to think that humour could be communicated by words, rather than having to qualify jokes with smileys and such like. But you're right, that's the way these days, and actually very useful in these forums given that we're dealing with so many nationalities and so many types of sense of humour, perhaps! So I'll try to get into it, thanks! :-) :) ;-) ;) :D }( :( :9 :7 :-lol :-hah (-: :-newbie :-doh :-beerchug Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

HeHe - nice one, Dark Moment. I come from a similar generation, brought up without 'smileys', and taught to use words to express myself instead. I refuse to use the stupid things and I think you should too! How about a 'Smiley Free' FS forum?As to UK Mesh, I like the LAGO stuff very much - and it's cheap too. I use it with the UK VFR photo scenery and upland Britain has never looked better. Try some flights over the Lake District in north-west England, North Wales or the Scottish Highlands and you'll agree, I think. Ian (EGLL)Smiley Free Zone

The NextMap-based 20-meter Mesh looks very interesting. For now, I'm using Mauri's freeware mesh and it works great.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest JDH

The LAGO mesh is very good in my opinion and value for money.However, there is that new FS Terrain product at Justflight which is about

Guest schofi

At the moment, I'm using Eddie Denneys - all the others are much the same, but Eddies' is marginally better, based on my own area (Colne Valley, Huddersfield UK.)There is a particular hill which I know the shape of very well, which is shown very accurately, and if the rest of the UK shows similar improvements, bodes well.This presumes the use of UK VFR scenery, which shows up the actual shadows of hills (at the time the photograph was taken) and allows the judgement of the shapes of hills & mountains when overlaid on the mesh.Brian

Guest tezbedz

Hi, i must agree with Goon, the VFRTerrain from Visual Flight doe slook good, I had one installed a couple of weeks ago and thught it looked good until I went to the Lake District and discovered the lakes creeping up the hills, The mesh wasn't really compatible with the VFR Scenery.CheersTerry

Guest visualflight

TerryCan I just make it clear to everyone that the mesh you tried a couple of weeks ago was not VFR Terrain. I presume you were referring to one of the freeware/payware SRTM terrain mesh sceneries, but that's not 100% obvious from your wording (sorry!).VFR Terrain fixes Flight Simulator's problems with lakes for once and for all, and is the only terrain scenery for the UK to do so.JohnVisual Flight

Guest visualflight

TerryI've just re-read my post above and it's looks a bit unfriendly, but please be assured that's not my intention - just the way things come out sometimes when you commit them to print.John

Guest JDH

VFR Terrain does look good, but I question the comment on the above linked page that Getmapping is "virtually giving away" the existing VFR scenery.

Guest visualflight

Forgive a little linguistic license, but you don't need to buy all four areas. For just GBP 15.31 plus vat you get three CDs crammed with high quality data, more megabytes and greater area than any other commercial scenery. No, Getmapping are not literally giving it away, but it's not such a bad deal really is it?JohnPS. It's GBP 71.96 including vat for all four volumes (12 CDs), not the GBP 75 excluding vat that you've quoted.

I've just re-read my post above and it's looks a bit unfriendly, but please be assured that's not my intention - just the way things come out sometimes when you commit them to print.Hmm... perhaps, John, you should use smilies to make your intention clear. Ooops, sorry, they're not allowed in this thread, are they?Pete:) :) :)

Guest visualflight

I was going to add them in, but the forum software told me I was too late to edit ;( John