Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Lord Lovat's Piper

Bill Millin has died. He was piper to the 15th Lord Lovat, commander of the 1st special Services Brigade which landed on Sword Beach on D-Day.Bill Millen marched through the surf and up the beach playing Blue Bonnets over the Border. He's the figure nearest the camara holding his pipes. Lord Lovat is the figure striding through the water to the right of the column of men.The brigade's immediate task to to relieve the airborne troops who had captured Pegasus bridge earlier. Bill Millin piped them across the bridge where twelve of them were killed. A very gallant gentleman

Great to see a tribute and remembrance. In late May 1984 I was flying to London, and on my flight there were a number of American and Canadian veterans of D-Day headed over to commemorate the 40th anniversary. My flight was delayed several hours and they kept me company and shared many of their stories with me. It's one of those moments I will always remember, and I know the reason why I can sit here and share my opinions is due to people being willing to sacrifice themselves against such incredible odds in addition to having their own families to worry about.If you can get a copy of a Reader's Digest from 1975--I believe it was either a January or February edition, there is a great short story by a Canadian Piper. I remember reading it while convalescing from a serious illness that year and it was such a wonderful story to read.Regards,John

I was week-ending in northern France a few years ago at the time of a minor anniversary of D-day. There were a group of old men - wheel-chairs, walking sticks and all - in the hotel.On Sunday morning they appeared with blazers, medals and the red berets of the Parachute Regiment. They had all "jumped", as they put it, on D-Day.

Very interesting. Thank you.Despite the passing of many years this period of history is still very much with us in many ways. Just the other day I sat next to a frail old gentleman on a bus here in Warsaw, his old concentration camp tattoo number was clearly visible on his arm.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)