Sign in to follow this  

Installing FS-2004 over FS-2002?

Greetings for a not too experienced computer guy from Indiana...I've never installed a new edition of FS. I uninstalled FS-2002 and it left about 700 megs of files including all my downloaded airplanes and guages, etc. Do I delete it all and start from ground up with FS 2004? Or is there away to integrate and keep the downloaded aircraft. I still have copies of all the unzipped files of the planes, so I could start over again if I need to.Thank you in advance for your help.

You can install FS2004, and move things piecemeal from what was left over from your FS2002 uninstall. FS2004 does not "see" any trace of FS2002, and won't overwrite or delete any part of the FS2002 installation.To move your aircraft, you can move the aircraft folders into FS2004's aircraft folder. Remember to move any third party gauges you have as well. Some gauges--especially those that read GPS data, may not work and may crash FS2004. You should receive a warning if FS2004 sees a gauge it doesn't like.FS2002 still exists on my system today, and is still my chief scenery design, aircraft design, and long distance flying platform. I've had "zero" impact from FS2004 being on the same HD...-John

Guest Stanner1953

First be certain that you have the necessary hardware to run FS9 (2004). You need a certain minimum RAM and computer processor speed.You then need sufficient disc space.If you have all of this, then you can install FS9 WITHOUT DELETINGFS2002. They do not interfer with each other. It all depends on whether you have enough disc space.As to moving aircraft from FS2002 to FS9, that depends on the aircraft. I know that the Vought Corsair, and Cessna 182RG can be moved over without any problems because the gauges for these aircraft are in FS9. I moved these and they fly fine. You can ask others about the specific aircraft that you want to move over. If you look in the Avsim file section for 2004 aircraft you will see some which can be installed. It is on a aircraft by aircraft basis. Generally,aircraft that have been created with G-max will work, but then you may be short on the gauges. It is best to install the entire aircraft package because then you get the gauges etc. Your best bet is to wait for people to create aircraft for FS9. Stanner

Thank you, my friends we now have it installed.