Sign in to follow this  
Capt Lalle

Out of Memory despite XP 64 bit?

HelloI'm not able to rise Texture_Max_Load to 2048 as it is required for some addon liveries like McPhat.After some time you can see texture loss of the aircraft, followed by texture loss of landscape and afterwards I get the out of memory error.This process can be accelerated by switching between cockpit and outside view.Have to say that I also increased LOD radius to 6.5 I will now test it with the standard of 4.5I already downgraded REX textures to 1024 but I have to set TML to 2048 to use the High Definition textures of McPhat otherwise they are totally useless. :( Does Win7 64bit handle this better because of better memory management?But in my opinion there will not be any difference between these operating systems concerning virtual adress space, what do you think?

Does this problem happy with other aircraft?When you notice this problem just let the system sit and see if the textures finally get processed.How fast is your system memory?Check out Nick's tuning guide and *******' tweaks.

Are you asking if 64bit windows cures the out of memory errors, then yes..
Note that he is already using a 64 bit system though and accelleration includes the code in sp2 to allow the use of more memory.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I'm not able to rise Texture_Max_Load to 2048 as it is required for some addon liveries like McPhat....Does Win7 64bit handle this better because of better memory management?But in my opinion there will not be any difference between these operating systems concerning virtual adress space, what do you think?
My computer is not nearly as powerful as yours, but I don't have the problems that you describe and I regularly use REX2 and HD liveries (my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to 4096).I do run 64-bit Win7, but I would not expect that to make a huge difference in itself. I'm wondering about your display driver, though - are you perhaps using one that is meant for Vista 64 or Win 7 64? That could cause problems on 64-bit XP, I suppose.

Are you asking if 64bit windows cures the out of memory errors, then yes..
Actually, that's not really true. The most usual cause of out-of-memory errors is shortage of hard disk space for virtual memory, not shortage of real memory.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Actually, that's not really true. The most usual cause of out-of-memory errors is shortage of hard disk space for virtual memory, not shortage of real memory.
Actually, that's not really true either. The most common cause of out-of-memory errors in FSX is exhaustion of virtual memory address space (not virtual memory in itself). That is most definitely improved by using a 64-bit OS.

Guest 413X3

sounds like a bug with one of your addons that cause memory leaks. First I would search for the fsx.cfg setting of highmem=1 and then make sure you aren't running fsx under some compatibility mode. Also how much ram do you have?

Thanks for your answers.This problem occurs with PMDG's MD11 and the High Definition textures from Lee Marrow downloaded from avsim.These textures need more memory because of higher resolution, so you have to rise Texture_Max_Load to 2048.I have 6 GB physical RAM and windows taskmanager shows that only 2.8 GB RAM are used at that time. So my thought was that virtual address space exhausted.By the way, HIGHMEMFIX=1 is in my fsx.cfg, also BP=0 without problems of autogen spikes.

My computer is not nearly as powerful as yours, but I don't have the problems that you describe and I regularly use REX2 and HD liveries (my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to 4096).I do run 64-bit Win7, but I would not expect that to make a huge difference in itself. I'm wondering about your display driver, though - are you perhaps using one that is meant for Vista 64 or Win 7 64? That could cause problems on 64-bit XP, I suppose.
That's strange Tom, I think I could never use such a high TML.My display driver is 258.96 WHQL for XP 64 bit, but with drivers from 190.xxx series I got the same problem.Do you use the standard entry of 4.5 for LOD_RADIUS?Maybe 6.5 causes a memory overflow, I will test now with 4.5 and will report.

Guest 413X3

what is your autogen setting? do you use anything like ultimate terrain? Any weather addons like activesky?

My autogen density is set to dense, David and yes I use Ultimate Terrain, ASE for weather and REX (1024 resolution) for clouds.I just finished my testflight over EHAM with a landing by night, switched several times between cockpit and outside view, also switched between windowed and fullscreen mode with a LOD_RADIUS of 4.5 and I didn't get the OOM problem.Maybe this was the key but I will test more on a flight of several hours when I have time to do so.I'll also increase TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096 and install REX textures in this resolution to see what happens then.If higher LOD_RADIUS is really the reason for OOM's I wonder that this has so much impact on usage of memory.

If higher LOD_RADIUS is really the reason for OOM's I wonder that this has so much impact on usage of memory.
Because your increasing the load on your system immensely by increasing LOD radius. FSX has to render a whole lot more of the world around you. As you incrase the LOD, you increase the area that FSX has to render. It has a huge impact.

Guest 413X3

also make sure you have any patches for those addons. I was having stuttering issues and went and found my Ultimate Terrain was out of date.

Guest TomOOO

Hi64bit windows allows a 32bit program (like FSX) to access 4G of memory, ie double what 32bit windows allows. Ie this is the full address space of a 32bit variable in the program. Only programs written specifically for 64bit OS can use the 2T of memory. It is therefore possible to run out of memory with FSX on windows 7 64bit, you have just hit the next barrier which is 4G. You sound like you have a lot of things set up to use the full potential of your computer - so it is possible you really have run out of memory. Lets hope that FS11 will be fully 64bit software.