Sign in to follow this  
Gaiiden

Puzzled by ground texture LOD behavior

I'm stumped here, and could use some insight. The following two pictures demonstrate my problem:http://www.blade-edge.com/images/Flight%20Log/2009/10.16.09%20%284N1%20-%20KBLM%29/2009-10-16_10-59-51-546.pnghttp://www.blade-edge.com/misc/2010-8-22_14-13-28-90.pngThe first image was taken prior to me installing W7 on my machine and then reinstalling FSX. Notice how clear things are all the way to the shoreline. The second image was taken after reinstalling FSX and is in the same area of the first image. Notice now how the texture detail drops off very quickly.I've completely maxed out ALL my scenery settings (distance, mesh, textures, etc) - even moving the draw distance slider around shows no appreciable difference.The only add-on I have installed now that I didn't have back when the first shot was taken is REX. I don't see how that could be causing this problem but it's my #1 suspect at the moment.Any other ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Have you checked the Anisotropic Filtering checkbox?EDIT: Wait a minute, the AF is in a drop down list isn't it? The AA is a checkbox.

Mike Beckwith

Hmmm... looks very familiar.Saw the same thing when I reinstalled to W7Then I remembered an added line in my older FSX.cfg and added it-and the problem was fixed.[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series .0]Mode=1280x1024x32AntiAlias=1MipBias=7 ;; <<<------------ added lineTriLinear=1Might do the trick for you also.Loyd

Thanks guys, especially nice with the memory there lliaudais.Unfortunately some more problems have cropped up - like I started a flight and the screen kept jumping between a window and fullscreen... it's all FUBAR'd up. I need to just full reinstall and add things slower next time.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

I think most of the guys here would recommend a reinstall as the last option. What you've got there with the window switching between full and windowed mode could be a local thing - you might try a restart first. I think it's a Windows thing anyhow - I've seen it often with regular folder display windows. It's infuriating but it's only ever a local memory conflict, and it passes quickly.

Mike Beckwith