Sign in to follow this  
jport1

Gave it Up

I am a long time FS2 customer and have many of these products however, this one I am going to have to put back in the box (figure of speech) I am afraid.I have a somewhat complex systems, multi servers etc and I guess too many programs running. I use FsP and I does not work well with this product. I have a CTD on every setup today and I have tried several times, systems errors seem to come in conflict with activities (which I limited) such as FsP.Anyway, back in the box, I am quite saddened :( by this. I love Bryan's work. But I fly a lot and the CTD just is not acceptable . . Thanks, wish someone had a clue what this might be.Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Hi Joe,I know you have the other FS2Crew's like the PMDG J41 and the Maddog... the 767 uses the same general system and shares many of the same internal components.So if the J41 and the Maddog work well for you, then the 767 should as well.For your CTD, please run a program called "Event Viewer"... you can get a lot of info there on the CTD and the file associated with the CTD.CTDs can be the result of a million different things.Also, from my own experience, I'm finding that a lot of users are making a lot of risky, custom mods to their FSX.CFG file.This can make their system unstable.Try deleting your FSX.CFG so you can get the original version back.Also try the other usual things: Defrag your drive/update your drivers/ run virus scan. Ensure all updates installed.Cheers,

thanks Bryan,Yes, the other products have worked well on my system. I have many hours in the J41 and the LH using FS2. I was just shocked that these problems are showing in the LVLD. I do all the things you mentions, virus, regular defrags. I treat FSX like a pampered baby trust me. So you know I switched FS2 off and changed "nothing" else and I am back flying fine. To me, it appears that any FsPassengers activities bring it to its knees. The CTC occur when a announcement, etc occurs in FsP. I disabled all the voice and activities I could find in FsP but still she comes to her knees with the FMS up and FsP and FS2 gate activities, I guess.Anyway, know that I don't go down without a fight. Any ideas from anyone greatly appreciated.Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

thanks Bryan,To me, it appears that any FsPassengers activities bring it to its knees. The CTC occur when a announcement, etc occurs in FsP. I disabled all the voice and activities I could find in FsP but still she comes to her knees with the FMS up and FsP and FS2 gate activities, I guess.Anyway, know that I don't go down without a fight. Any ideas from anyone greatly appreciated.Joe
Hi Joe,What did "Event Viewer" say? Also, based on your report, the problem seems to be more with FS Passengers than FS2Crew.Have you checked their forum?Regardless, though, we have a good sized user base now and we beta tested this product very well... CTDs are a very rarely reported. I'm not one to pass the buck, but I would take a 2nd look at your setup, and especially FS Passengers.Cheers,

Hi Joe,I know you have the other FS2Crew's like the PMDG J41 and the Maddog... the 767 uses the same general system and shares many of the same internal components.So if the J41 and the Maddog work well for you, then the 767 should as well.For your CTD, please run a program called "Event Viewer"... you can get a lot of info there on the CTD and the file associated with the CTD.CTDs can be the result of a million different things.Also, from my own experience, I'm finding that a lot of users are making a lot of risky, custom mods to their FSX.CFG file.This can make their system unstable.Try deleting your FSX.CFG so you can get the original version back.Also try the other usual things: Defrag your drive/update your drivers/ run virus scan. Ensure all updates installed.Cheers,
Hi Joe,What did "Event Viewer" say? Also, based on your report, the problem seems to be more with FS Passengers than FS2Crew.Have you checked their forum?Regardless, though, we have a good sized user base now and we beta tested this product very well... CTDs are a very rarely reported. I'm not one to pass the buck, but I would take a 2nd look at your setup, and especially FS Passengers.Cheers,
Thanks again Bryan, I may have mentioned that I used the set up to set my cfg back to the original, just flew a 4 hour flight without a hitch, which is usual on my system. I will try tomorrow to not use FsP and load from the LVLD config manager instead and then see if I still get the CTD. It may be that I still try to use the LVLD ground handlers . . . oh well .. . I will figure it out . . posted in the LVLD thread to see if anyone has any ideas.Have a great one .. Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Ok, Bryan . . . I am giving this another go, I completely uninstalled FS2, not just inactivated it. Now I go to install and following the guide word for word, now I was doing fine right up to the part where one can inspect the panel.cfg file and low and behold (made a back up and saved it earlier in a separate folder) and when I compared the two, the GLARING issue was that it completly eliminated my Reality XP Wx500 Radar lines. Whoa, what's that about, do I have to put those back in making adjustments for the lines that FS2 used?I need some help, here may have been the issue . . . because I install the RXP500 after FS2 was installed on my other (J41 and LH) so this may be the culprit. Hope to hear soon.Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Ok, Bryan . . . I am giving this another go, I completely uninstalled FS2, not just inactivated it. Now I go to install and following the guide word for word, now I was doing fine right up to the part where one can inspect the panel.cfg file and low and behold (made a back up and saved it earlier in a separate folder) and when I compared the two, the GLARING issue was that it completly eliminated my Reality XP Wx500 Radar lines. Whoa, what's that about, do I have to put those back in making adjustments for the lines that FS2 used?I need some help, here may have been the issue . . . because I install the RXP500 after FS2 was installed on my other (J41 and LH) so this may be the culprit. Hope to hear soon.Joe
Hi Joe,When you installed FS2Crew, the FS2Crew installer over-wrote your pre-existing panel.cfg files (it makes a backup however) with "fresh" panel.cfgs.The new panel.cfg is the original 767 panel cfg with the FS2Crew window/gauge entries on it.I can't speak for Reality XP, but I do know that it is VERY EASY for addon programs that selectively attempt to edit panel.cfg files to screw up the panel.cfg.This is why FS2Crew just replaces the whole panel.cfg. (I tried selectively editing the panel.cfgs in the 737 Voice versions (pre-SP1), but it's just too easy for something to get messed-up if you do it that way as I learned.)This is what I want you to do:Start fresh...1. Uninstall the 767 and FS2Crew.2. Re-install the 767 and make sure you have the latest 767 updates from Level-D.3. Do a test hop to make sure all is okay.4. If all is okay, re-install FS2Crew.DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WILL MODIFY THE PANEL.CFG.5. So with only FS2Crew and the 767 (no Reality XP or anything else), do a test fight.6. If everything works for you (and it should... we have a lot of users and it works for them), try manually adding the Reality Wx Radar Entries by hand editing the panel.cfg.As mentioned, I suspect their automatic panel.cfg editor utility may have buggered the panel.cfg up.Cheers,

there was also another question as I reconfigure this, so are you asking that we completely disable the LVLD ground handingling, i.e, connecting external power and air? Just curious and I have entered the RXP500 lines in the panel.cfg manually and just getting it up, but no CTD yet but have not run the "drill" complete preflight yet. Hopefully, no crash and I will await your feedback.Thanks as always,Joewoops, did not see your email before I loaded it up with my adjustments. If I go down again, I will follow your guidelines completely, but I hate to lose my wx radar on the LDS . .. ThanksJoe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

there was also another question as I reconfigure this, so are you asking that we completely disable the LVLD ground handingling, i.e, connecting external power and air? Just curious and I have entered the RXP500 lines in the panel.cfg manually and just getting it up, but no CTD yet but have not run the "drill" complete preflight yet. Hopefully, no crash and I will await your feedback.Thanks as always,Joewoops, did not see your email before I loaded it up with my adjustments. If I go down again, I will follow your guidelines completely, but I hate to lose my wx radar on the LDS . .. ThanksJoe
Joe,Please just follow the directions as I listed them above. Once you can go from A to B without a CTD, then we can re-add the Reality XP WX radar.Thanks,

Hi Bryan,I guess I am in trouble but let's hope good trouble. "Houston we have a launch". I was able to manually reinstall the RXP500 and ran the test flight with it after reconfiguring the AC completely. Everything worked as advertised, smooth and no CTD! FS2 ran as I am used to it running with my J41 and my Maddog . . . .Thanks much BryanJoeIf I have any problems going forward, I will come back to the completely clean .cfg install but for now worked flawlessly, no missed calls and found that the lower my mic volume the better the recognition.

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Hi Bryan,I guess I am in trouble but let's hope good trouble. "Houston we have a launch". I was able to manually reinstall the RXP500 and ran the test flight with it after reconfiguring the AC completely. Everything worked as advertised, smooth and no CTD! FS2 ran as I am used to it running with my J41 and my Maddog . . . .Thanks much BryanJoeIf I have any problems going forward, I will come back to the completely clean .cfg install but for now worked flawlessly, no missed calls and found that the lower my mic volume the better the recognition.
Joe,I'm happy to hear you got it solved.However, you also said you posted about this apparent CTD in other forums.Can you please update those threads to let people know that you appear to have resolved the issue.I don't want people thinking my software is buggy.Thanks,

Hi Bryan,My mistype,(I meant in here when I posted regarding purchase in the "other" thread) I have not posted anywhere else regarding my struggles. Would never do that. Anyway a good half dozen flights done now and one 5 hour long haul with FS2 and she worked flawlessly. The issues were identified to be outside FS2 with a couple of other addon (won't name them), but after reconfiguring those (removing one from my system) all is well. Now I just have to spend more time getting comfortable with the 76 flows, but brings back days of the first "button" version of FS2 which I used back then before I parked my LVLD for about 4 years . . .Thanks again.Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Have you tried the uiautomationcore.dll fix by chance?I used to get CTDs with FSPax.And could get the Level D 767 to crash like clockwork with the Ground Call button. But then the HIGHMEMFIX was discovered, and I did the uiautomationcore.dll fix to stop random CTD when you try to access new windows or menu items. Have flown from Chicago to LAX and back again a few times with FSPax and FS2Crew Voice, with no crash.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Yes, Scott, I have applied that fix some time ago. If, and I say if, I rarely get a CTD now, it is when I click on the LVLD "ground crew" buttons on the overhead. Just haven't had any recently and I leave the ground crew buttons alone! LOL.

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Yes, Scott, I have applied that fix some time ago. If, and I say if, I rarely get a CTD now, it is when I click on the LVLD "ground crew" buttons on the overhead. Just haven't had any recently and I leave the ground crew buttons alone! LOL.
I know how you feel with the ground button. I had such bad experiences with that damn button when I first got my Level D 767, that I still cringe everytime I press it. I remember trying to explain the problem on the Level D 767 "support" forum and got nothing but the hair dryer treatment from Mr S over there. Left me with a very bad impression of him and the whole Level D team. I have almost the same feelings for them as others do about Ariane. I just dont feel as ripped off because the plane is pretty reasonably priced and is quite funcitonal and very fun to fly. But there is no way, with all these problems still floating around with their plane and that they still have not fixed them (either the ground button or the FMS/Engine start problem), there is no way I will buy their 757.(if it ever comes out)

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/