Sign in to follow this  
Guest wathomas777

GF4Ti 4200>>>>ATI 9800Pro...WOW!

Guest hassata

Nice one. Now download and install Omega's drivers ( http://www.omegacorner.com. Try running with full AA, you won't notice much of a slow down. Also with Omega's drivers, the panel lets you overclock (and installed software lets you test for artifacts). I slowly overclocked (first core, test, then memory, test)until I started seeing stuff in FS9. I have mine set at about 405 Core, 360 memory (but your milegae may vary). And that was the only thing that gave me a solid 3-4 fps boost.

Hornit,$260 for a 9800 Pro card from Best Buy? That's a bit hard to believe. Is it a 9800 or a 9800 Pro? Is it the retail box version (guess it would have to from BB)?Cloud9

Guest cw1011

I think it is fair to say that the video card is a much more important variable in the performance equation than most people think. I upgraded from a Ti4200 and I saw a frames boost at busy airports and in the clouds, a general smoothing and better visuals. CPU is important - but a good video card can make a huge difference. Glad to see you are up and running. Colin

Guest Bigshot

Not hard to believe at all. The 9800 Pro was on sale on the net a week or so ago for $299 after rebate. The 9700 Pro can be had for around $200. And the LOKI is coming to a store near you soon. That's suppose to be twice the power of the 9800 Pro. Can you image that? Isn't that the God of Mischief?? Appropriate name for ATI to give it.

Guest wathomas777

I have edited my response because I realize that my initial post was petty and mean spirited.This is a hobby we can all get into and luckily for me I can find satisfactory performance without spending a fortune.I have never paid 300$ for a video card and never will. I find that if I can "wait" I can get today's bleeding edge of technology tomorrow and more "sane" prices.So for the time being, I will suffer with my MX for a while and I am glad that you guys are getting such good performance.BTW. It's about time ATI started putting out a "decent" video card for gaming. It's long overdue.

I'm glad your happy with your mx card. But believe me, you are not getting similar quality. I had a MX card, and once you put in a card that is at least DX8.1 compatible, you will never go back to a DX7 card. I thought the same way you did, but I'm testing a Radeon right now. A day later I put my MX back in the slot and laughed. I agree the water reflections need more improvement (FS2002 was way better), but the colors are more vivid and some of the sunsets leave me.......speechless? I'm seeing colors I never saw with the MX. At least get yourself a DX8.1 compatible card , whether it be Radeon or Geforce. It's not just reflections your missing.Tim

Guest White Hawk

Is that Loki the 9900 card I hear is out next month? I was going to buy a 9800 Pro card soon, but was thinking best wait till that shows up, havent heard much except its just a faster 9800, but twice as fast, who says that?

Guest JonP01

> HOLY COW! I am finding it hard to believe that a video card>can make such a huge difference! I am still cautiously taking>my first steps with tweaking and flying as I installed this>card last night. I took great care in making sure my system>was clean before putting the card in and firing it up.>> MY STUTTERS ARE GONE! For the most part there is still very>slight frame rate issues with the normal things like>clouds/wx/etc, but my sim is running rock steady up around>25fps now with 1280x1024x32bit and 2X FSAA and 8X Aniso. Its >really rather remarkable. While the GF4 is a good card, mine>being a lowly 4200 just could not push the pixels to do any>meaningful AA. It ran great without it, but I just have to>have it. I got my 9800 at Best buy for 260$ and a 20$ rebate.>Not a bad deal as they were like 400$ just a few months back!>> The visual qualities are similiar really, a slight advantage>IMHO to the ATI card though in most things. Its just now I can>run in high res with all the goodies too! FS 2002 is amazing>now, I can turn it all on, even with the GF4 I could not do>that.>> I have two minor issues and hope to see them fixed with>driver releases. The flashing menu thing (can be overcome with>window) and a minor stutter if I pan in spot view. The panning>stutter appears to go away once you have panned around a bit>also. >> I highly recommend one of these cards to take advantage of>any simulation. I daresay we have finally got a card that can>do Antialiasing as good as a Voodoo 5 5500 can! Anyone>remember that one? :)>> Again, all I can say is WOW!! I did not think this was the>cure for my stutters either, Im sure there are still some>issues but this has made such a huge improvement here its hard>to fathom. >>Hornit>>G'day Hornit. I remember when you originally posted the question about upgrading your Voodoo. Back then I also remember telling you the Ti 4200 would give you a much better experience all around apart from the anti-aliasing. Your observations about your new ATi card are meaningful to me, because you have previously owned a Voodoo 5500. I have to disregard anyone's opinion if they did not previously own and use a Voodoo 5500, because only ex-Voodoo 5500 really know the "truth" ;) I've never bothered about changing my Ti 4200 because it still cuts the mustard performance-wise quite well. And the poorer quality AA hasn't been that bad because I can run much higher resolutions than I ever could with the old Voodoo. But at the same time, I've kept my eyes open for a card that might combine the very best qualities of my Geforce 4 with the very best qualities of my previous V5500. I'm still not in a position to change anything yet, and to be honest I'm pretty happy with FS2004 as it is - but I'd sure like to get the Voodoo quality AA back and I'd also like to turn on those new 3D clouds without too much of a performance hit. I still remember it was an extremely nervous time for me as I found there was no replacement I could buy for my Voodoo and that the only choice was Nvidia. I guess soon I might have to take another step in a similar fashion. That said, if Nvidia could AA like Voodoo did, I'd probably stick with Nvidia.

Guest SoarPics

When nVidia bought 3DFX, I remember thinking that we would soon see the 5500's hardware AA in the next gen nVidia cards. Didn't happen in the GF3's. So I figured they would HAVE to include it in the GF4's. Still didn't happen. After nVidia introduced the "Leafblower" late last year and seeing how excited folks were getting about the 9700 Pro, that's when I decided that I would be parting the nVidia camp.Hopefully, nVidia will get back on track... but I don't think that will be soon (though I hope I'm wrong). They will continue to tweak their drivers, hop-up the core and memory clocks, and design for DX upgrades. And that philosophy just doesn't work for me. I'm tired of wailting on them (and buying their products, but knowing at the same time that I'm compromising).I've had my 9700 Pro for a few weeks now, and it has changed my simming experience. Both FS2K2 and FS9. nVidia had a sweet deal when they had us as a captured audience. With ATI's recent committment to quality products and driver upgrades, nVidia is seeing it's market share shrinking... quickly. The market competion works best for us, of course. But I hope nVidia gets back on track and starts bringing us inovations instead of piece meal evolution.Until then I'll be simming happily with my ATI.