Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikehaska

Truck Sims????

Guest BobL

HiMy son, now 13 and starting to anticipate a drivers permit approached me about the availability of a flight sim like tractor-trailer sim. I saw one where you go racing through the streets of Chicago with a tractor but that's not what he wants.He's innterested in being able to hitch-up (if that's what truckers call it); hit the open road and drive point A to Point B, look at the scenery, pass an occasional car, observe speed limits, deal with orange barrel zones and rush hour, maneuver through city streets that aren't made for trucks and then back-up to a dock type of sim. Be able to go across town or across the country LA - NY just like we do with FS. He'd also like the ability to select different types of trucks (Freightliner vs Mack vs Volvo, etc...) and different loads (box trailer vs flat bed vs wide-load, etc...). Even be able to do add-ons and scenery enhancements. As you can see, he's given this a lot of thought.Anyone know of something like this? I did some internet searches but came up empty handed.BobL

It may not be what you are looking for exactly, but check out the titles "Hard Truck" and "Hard Truck II". Rick

Hi Bob,well, I don't know of anything like it, but it sounds cool - I'd buy it. So here comes my suggestion: Does your son have a real 'geeky' friend, or do you know someone who's into programming? Get them together to produce a rough example of the type of sim he's looking for and present the concept to a software company. Who knows, you could find your son's college education being taken care of...Cheers,Gosta.

Guest mikehaska

Don't write off Midtown Madness too soon:The Legal Cruise mode lets you drive through the streets of Chicago, London, or San Francisco (depending on what version you get) following all rules of the road. Street lights, yields, stop signs. Even pedestrians. There are also lots of areas to drive in in these gaves. They all have long highways which take a good few minutes to drive all the way along, there are construction areas, tunnels, parks, even airports (Meigs is modelled in Chicago, but they have a 737 doing touch-and-go's!)Take a look at these free downloadable trucks:http://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles2/r...num/magnum1.jpghttp://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles/k/...th/kensemi1.jpghttp://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles/k/...th/kensemi2.jpghttp://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles/k/...th/kenflat1.jpghttp://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles/k/...th/kensemi3.jpgApart from MM, I don't know what else to suggest. The only market for such a simulator is already well covered (Search for "Truck Simulator" on Google.) Unfortunately, they all have large, full motion sims, which can get pretty costly.If I see anything else, I will let you know!Edit: Darn, do I feel like a shmuck. After learning about Flight Sim, I should have known there's a market for everything! Try this site: http://www.trucksims.com/Simulators.htm

Euro Truck Sim 2 is pretty good for those interested

Oh yes, with mods can be really good and realistic.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Wow, reviving a 12 year old thread, that is impressive LOL....

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Would not mock truck sims as those improvements will create a fly and drive world. ETS2 actually very relaxing to do at end hard day delivering goods. I am waiting for American truck simulator 2

I work with the ProMods team on their add on map project. I enjoy ETS2 as a "relaxing hobby" since my FS involvement is work! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

To many hard days driving trucks in real life to want to sim it. To each his own.

Vic green

Honestly, I've never really been able to enjoy ETS, so I didn't dare buying ETS2, but I really loved the 18 Wheels of Steel series, and I still play that every now and then.

To many hard days driving trucks in real life to want to sim it. To each his own.

Yeah, I have the demo version of Euro Truck Simulator 2, but after I started working, I don't really feel like running it anymore. It's a lot easier to see your mirrors out the window than it is to see your mirrors on a computer screen.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I am waiting for American truck simulator 2

It's the first one, so it's going to be ATS1.

Honestly, I've never really been able to enjoy ETS, so I didn't dare buying ETS2, but I really loved the 18 Wheels of Steel series, and I still play that every now and then.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ETS1 is a LOT different from ETS2. It doesn't even feel like the same game. At the moment, ETS2 is on sale on Humble Bundle for only $5. You should give the sequel a go.

Yeah, $5.84 is what its going for in the HB. I picked it up, it's pretty meh.