Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Concorde vs. 747 - Sunday Aug. 29th @ 1200z

Aircraft Type  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you flying?

• 747-400
    • Concorde

This really does sound very cool. I will definately try to be a part of this. But after looking at the Concorde-X website, it seems this bird is pretty darn complicated and is not very similar to the types of planes I fly often, so buying it and getting up to speed where I feel comfortable flying it online by this weekend is highly unlikely. I will just fly the good old PMDG 747-400 and see if is up to the task of betting your mighty supersonic jet.
We need 747s too! :DI've added a poll to get an idea of numbers of each type. If we can keep it as even as possible we could run multiple groups of Concorde vs. 747, all departing within a few minutes of each other!Best regards,Robin.

Hi,If everyone is happy with the following, this shall be the official routing for the flight from CDG to BOS for the 747.Due to some technical issues with my set up I shall be taking the MD-11.The routing for the 747 shall be:

LFPG SID EVX UT300 SENLO UN502 JSY UN160 LND UM142 LESLU DCT LIMRI NATF YYT N98A TUSKY J575 SCUPP STAR KBOS

NAT F waypoints:

52N020W 51N030W 50N040W 48N050W

The route is 3015.3 nm long. We are anticipating an average headwind of 50 kts, giving an approximate flight time of 7.5 hours. We will brief the weather situation on the day of the flight, though winds in the sim may not match the reports.Best regards,Robin.

Is there anyway to stream video direct from someones comp for this :Big Grin:Or maybe even a visual java map to show updates? I know someone could manually do it, by just updating a picture every few minutes that would suffice hehe.I wish I did vatsim (someday soon I hope), I would create a site for it. Something a little Flashy perhaps?One could easily just move the planes in position on the PSD file then save it and overwrite whatever was shown. That way even in a post like this the picture would constantly be changed/updated, without the need to edit that actual post.It could look as simple as this:race.gifI made a quick PSD file you're welcome to have, to easily allow manipulation of their respective positions here.It could even be posted in this very topic, cough cough :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

This sounds like great sun, too bad I am not a 747 or Concorde owner/pilot. :(

This sounds like great sun, too bad I am not a 747 or Concorde owner/pilot. :(
I'm flying the MD-11 so don't worry too much. Comparable performance so... :)Best regards,Robin.

Same routing for Concorde or a mixture of EVX to the SM route? Have you the route for COncorde?John Ellison

EDIT: The plan at the moment is to the use standard AF Concorde arrival/departure for CDG, the AF routing and NAT track from/to JFK, and the BA Concorde arrival/depature for BOS.We are looking for the actual routings used. If we find them we'll post them, but the above should be suitable. The relevent routings should be in the documents folder of Concorde. I'll have a look later.Best regards,Robin.

From a flight planning/dispatching perspective, I thought I might mention that NAT tracks are issued every 24 hours, and typically change to take advantage or avoid (depending on direction) the jetstream. So while NAT F 5220N today it could be 5420N the next day. VATSIM requires that a Track identification Message is filed in the remark section of the flight plan for trans atlantic flights using the NAT system. This can only be obtained using real world and current NAT tracks. With a large group event like this, its possible to see Gander or Shanwick Oceanic pop online, having a pre set flight plan for such routings could create a hassle when pilots jump online file the flightplan, and have to get a re-routing after the fact. Long story short, flight planning may be best saved for day of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_TracksVATSIM procedureshttp://www.vatsim-uk.org/oceanic/index.php?page=pilot (important if your are not confortable with enroute position reporting to ATC)Current Trackshttps://www.notams.jcs.mil/common/nat.html Im looking forward to the event, I'll be in the queen. :)

Guest Cyril_Murat

See you on VATSIM 1130zSigned: a supersonic pilot ;)Cyril

Guest Cyril_Murat

Hi.1155z and I'm still alone?What happens? Is the race aborded?Cyril

Cyril,The race is still on. Some of us just can't make it unto Vatsim.<br><br>Good luck to all of you! May the best win. Post you airborne times in this thread as you land. For Concorde this incloudes the ground stop at CDG<br><br>MartinConcorde

Hi Guys,Ready? I am flying offline as is one Concorde. For kicks I'm taking the MD-11. I already have a good idea how the 747s are going to do (flew the route yesterday).This is going to be interesting! I would join you on VATSIM but FSX is too unstable on my system, and I haven't had time to test if SB makes things worse.AIRBOURNE! T+3 minutes!1224z (T+16 mins) - FL300 and accel to M0.86.1242z (T+35 mins) - FL300 and estimating LIMRI oceanic entry point at 1334z.1348z (T+100 mins) - FL320, at LIMRI est. N52/W020 at 1413z. Wx at LIMRI wind 336/67, OAT -42, thunderstorms, light turbulence.1501z (T+174 mins) - FL320, at N52/W030 est. N50/W040 at 1554z. Wx at W030 wind 224/78, OAT -47, broken undercast, light turbulence.Quick progress report. Concorde is on final, flying full IFR procedure into CDG. Currently reporting broken at 3700 ft, light turbulence, and going for a RW27L approach and landing. Estimating touchdown at 1515z.1524z - Concorde reports landing at 1516z, after a flight time of 3 hrs 15 mins.1550z - Concorde reports airbourne for the return at 1537z.1600z (T+233 mins) - FL360, at N50/W040 est. N48/W050 at 1645z. Wx at W040 wind 270/87, OAT -48, few undercast, smooth flying. Fuel remaining 74,500 lbs.1801z - Appear to have some radio issues. Gander now receiving.1801z (T+354 mins) - FL360, 257 nm from TUSKY, est. TUSKY at 1830z. Wx at PPOS N4519/W06141 wind 289/49, clear, light CAT. Fuel remaining 41,600 lbs.1914z (T+419 mins) - LANDED! Flight time of 6 hours 59 minutes. Fuel remaining 25,900 lbs. Concorde is in the descent, and we are awaiting her arrival to see if she once again beats the 747s.Best regards,Robin.

Around N53/W030 I'm seeing estimated winds of 120 at 35 kts.Best regards,Robin.