Sign in to follow this  
drum4no1

Help with WideFS config

Im trying to get FSX up and running on a client machine running XP (FS machine is Vista). During the install it ask for the FSX install path. I have shared it and it has full permission but it always says its not available. I skipped that part and it finished installing. I have also shared the folder that contains the flight plans sucessfully and I can load A flight plan from RC on the client computer. However when I try to leace the controller center I get " Run-Time Error 75 Path/File access error" All I am running is MSE. Currently FSX And RC are communicating but the proper foldes that need to be shared dont seem to be working. Everything on the FS machine has full sharing.. Therefore I am also unable to update scenery DB..Any help would be appreciatedScott

Im trying to get FSX up and running on a client machine running XP (FS machine is Vista). During the install it ask for the FSX install path. I have shared it and it has full permission but it always says its not available. I skipped that part and it finished installing. I have also shared the folder that contains the flight plans sucessfully and I can load A flight plan from RC on the client computer. However when I try to leace the controller center I get " Run-Time Error 75 Path/File access error" All I am running is MSE. Currently FSX And RC are communicating but the proper foldes that need to be shared dont seem to be working. Everything on the FS machine has full sharing.. Therefore I am also unable to update scenery DB..Any help would be appreciatedScott
there is a good description of how to set up rc and widefs in the manual.when accessing files on a network, you have to make sure both machine's firewalls aren't interfering with reading and saving files across the networkyou have to make sure the network shares you are using have proper security (which you error indicates the share is not correctly set up). the share has to have the proper share permissions (full control will work) and the directory on the other machine has to have the security set for access by the other machine to read and write. most people have one set of security set, but not the other. share permissions and file permissions are different things, and both have to be set correctly.when you enter paths in rc, either by unc name (\\fsmachine\fs for instance) or for a mounted drive (z:\ which is mapped to \\fsmachine\fs for instance) have to be correct, and there has to be network connectivity.if you can't read/write files across the network via unc or mapped drive with a dos window or file explorer - rc isn't going to work either.jd

Okay I have made some progress, it seems the share was saving under an incorrect path so after editing the path the FSX install ( which is on a different HD if it matters. ).is visible on the client machine I can now rebuild scenerey DB, but when I click ok to get out of the controller center I still get the same run time 75 error. When I click to get out of that where exactly is RC looking to so I can check the share / permissions at that location..Scott

I don't have widefs but just a thought...Are you running everything as administrator? I seem to recall that whenever an error 75 popped up on my pc it was because I was not using "Run as Administrator". I am just now getting set to add widefs in order to use a laptop to track my flights so I will follow this thread hoping to find out more.Good luckNeal Howard

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Everything is running as an administrator. I can see flight plans and the FSX install across the network so I know Im on the right track. I think it may be due to the fact the FSX is installed on a second hard drive all by itself. Im guessing when I click okay in the pilot/ controller section its looking to write in a location that dosent match up with my FSX install. If I could figure out where RC is trying to write to, I could probably figure this out. So far this is the only FS utility that has given me any problems over the network via widefs,,

Alright problem solved, after looking closer I had all the sharing and permissionstabs set to full control but on the security tab for the shared folder the option to write to it wasnt set. Rc could read but not write to the folder.

Alright problem solved, after looking closer I had all the sharing and permissionstabs set to full control but on the security tab for the shared folder the option to write to it wasnt set. Rc could read but not write to the folder.
networking and sharing and security will get you everytime.jd

there is a good description of how to set up rc and widefs in the manual.when accessing files on a network, you have to make sure both machine's firewalls aren't interfering with reading and saving files across the networkyou have to make sure the network shares you are using have proper security (which you error indicates the share is not correctly set up). the share has to have the proper share permissions (full control will work) and the directory on the other machine has to have the security set for access by the other machine to read and write. most people have one set of security set, but not the other. share permissions and file permissions are different things, and both have to be set correctly.when you enter paths in rc, either by unc name (fsmachinefs for instance) or for a mounted drive (z: which is mapped to fsmachinefs for instance) have to be correct, and there has to be network connectivity.if you can't read/write files across the network via unc or mapped drive with a dos window or file explorer - rc isn't going to work either.jd
Is there a guide for computer newbies on how to setup WideFS to run a second app like fscommander or a virtual airlines acars system? Or can u explain in pc newbie language how to do so? Thanks