Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Controllers and Descent Timing Problem

Here is a typical situation that just took place approaching KSEA in a JS 41. I was told to descend from 15000 to 7000 so I reduced dialed in the 7000,clicked ALT SEL and reduced power enough for a 1000ft/min descent. About 3 minutes later I received the first "check your altitude..your assigned alt is.....". So I reduced power to get a 2000ft/min descent and still got another call about my "incorrect altitude" before I could get to 7000. When cleared to 4000, I immediately set up a 2000ft/min descent and STILL got the same call along with directions to call the flight safety review (or whatever) immediately after landing. They are still waiting for my call heh, heh.Just how fast is a pilot expected to descend? I an not about to descend at 2000ft/min......In my experience a 1000ft/min descent is plenty past enough.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

In the U.S. I expect you set the altimeter reference to the local pressure issued when you were told to descend below 18,000 feet. The controller should have given it to you and sometimes you'll get another setting below the flight levels as you go along.I advise getting your aircraft in a stable descent of at least of 200 ft/min before acking the altitude change instruction. The 200 ft/min allows a window for a bumpy descent. If the aircraft is in turbulence and starts climbing RC could sense that reverse and it triggers the warning.Consider in busy airport areas and if your aircraft is especially sensitive to vertical drafts using on the Controller page for each airport the NOTAMS option where within departure and approach phases altitude restrictions become advisory and altitudes are not monitored. (You still must meet your arrival crossing restriction.)If you are using Active Sky Advanced in FSX check out my pinned posting at the forum top. In addition there have been other threads regarding the use of ASE slowing RC's monitoring and menu response performance.

Hi,One thought has crossed my mind and that is did you acknowledge the descend call? If you did not that will explain the nagging.Norman Bowman