Sign in to follow this  
badaboom

Boeings New 787 Simulator

The reason screens flicker like that is because the camera is recording at a faster rate of which the monitor is refreshing. This mainly happens with Tube monitors or televisions and terrible LCD monitors.
Hey Danny,thanks for explaining but that's exactly what I meant when I said 'even when not viewing thru a cam lens'. :( I am fully aware of the camera problem, but I was trying to say that some older sims did indeed flicker (looking at the projection from inside the FTD not from a video recording). Looked like a good old CRT monitor running at 60Hz or so, you couldn't really see seperate images but you can clearly see that it would flicker and at some point it was not easy on your eyes anymore.Now in this case though it seems the projectors produce a great steady image that seems to be pleasing to look at - AND the camera did record it very well, obviously! Big%20Grin.gifPlus - I wanna have it. :(

Re : the 787, anybody knows if Boeing ever considered a side stick for the 787? If a discussion, position paper etc. is available on this topic, would appreciate a link.
Pretty sure Boeing intends to remain a yoke company...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Pretty sure Boeing intends to remain a yoke company...
Why would Boeing ever consider having a side joystick?:(

I think side joysticks are going to someday be seen a lot more than now. Personally I prefer the yoke but think the stick is much easier to control manual flight. I don't think I could fly for an airline with one though, I might get a little carried away with a stick and start having flashbacks of my Falcon 4.0 days (Played that more than FS haha). I think most aircraft will have them in the future. No time soon, or buck rogers future, but down the road a couple decades.Besides, It kind of goes with the hud. All I need now is a 747, hud, sidestick and a couple of Daisy Cutters and I can visit some old pals :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thales' graphics looked like crap, but check out CAE's 787 sim here - this looks a LOT better.Anyone know for sure what the dashed white lines around the magenta route line are? Look around 4:45 to see them...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxBVSX3KtlA

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Would that mean you can pass slower aircraft on either side? :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Wow nice vid. Nice find Ryan. Learnt alot about the 787 in those 10 minutes. Looks like a fabulas airplane. Re the yoke disscussion, I think Boeing should remain with the yoke as that is there style, and they would be to llike airbus without it.

Sorry, but sidestick is just too un-natural! To me anyway. I got to fly a Columbia 400 (now the Cessna Corvalis) a while ago, and it just dosen't feel right. The Airbus sidestick says to me that there is maybe a little too much confidance in the fly by wire system. If the Computer goes south, are you going to be able to manually pull that bus out of a dive with that silly little stick? :( If it ain't Boeing........ahh you know the rest :(

Thales' graphics looked like crap, but check out CAE's 787 sim here - this looks a LOT better.Anyone know for sure what the dashed white lines around the magenta route line are? Look around 4:45 to see them...

An educated guess would be that the white lines are the limits of the RNP containment area in the lateral pathFara

Thales' graphics looked like crap, but check out CAE's 787 sim here - this looks a LOT better.Anyone know for sure what the dashed white lines around the magenta route line are? Look around 4:45 to see them...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxBVSX3KtlA
Shot in the dark here but is it de noting a manualy inputed departure? instead of a SID? Are the dashed lines present through the whole route?. If so, maybe drift limit? RNP? :( good question!!!

There are substantial backups in the airbus system and it is very reliable. I don't mind flying an aircraft with a sidestick. Having flowen an a320 sim I felt it was intuitive and natural to fly. The Boeing yoke us great also as it gives you very real physical feedback

Think Fara got it!! As a prize you have won the right to post your full name as per forum rules YAYYYYY. :(

There are substantial backups in the airbus system and it is very reliable. I don't mind flying an aircraft with a sidestick. Having flowen an a320 sim I felt it was intuitive and natural to fly. The Boeing yoke us great also as it gives you very real physical feedback
Understood!, I quess it just boils down to, "would you like fries or a salad"! I can apreciate the opinions of people and their preferences as to control architecture. Or maybe I'm just old school! :(

Anyone know for sure what the dashed white lines around the magenta route line are? Look around 4:45 to see them...
Pretty sure it's the VSD "width" display. The highest terrain between the dashed lines is displayed. It is tied to the RNP as that is the maximum width permitted while flying that leg. You can see that on final approach the RNP goes down (the width is smaller. On older aircraft that have them, such as the 737, the VSD lines are drawn along the current track, not along the flight route. Guess more processing power in the 787 allowed them to do this.

Pretty sure it's the VSD "width" display. The highest terrain between the dashed lines is displayed. It is tied to the RNP as that is the maximum width permitted while flying that leg. You can see that on final approach the RNP goes down (the width is smaller. On older aircraft that have them, such as the 737, the VSD lines are drawn along the current track, not along the flight route. Guess more processing power in the 787 allowed them to do this.
Actually, I was wondering what those lines on the NGX's ND were when you bring the VSD up (hadn't gotten around to asking since everyone's so busy coding) - this makes perfect sense!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Sorry, but sidestick is just too un-natural! To me anyway. I got to fly a Columbia 400 (now the Cessna Corvalis) a while ago, and it just dosen't feel right. The Airbus sidestick says to me that there is maybe a little too much confidance in the fly by wire system. If the Computer goes south, are you going to be able to manually pull that bus out of a dive with that silly little stick? :( If it ain't Boeing........ahh you know the rest :(
IIRC, If the computers go south on a Boeing you're no better off. Both are fly by wire, with no manual reversion.