Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

"I bought iFly 737 for FS9" thread

The other point of diminished activity on the forums is the overall knowledge base accumulated by many FS2004 users for all these years. What average FSX user (assuming 1-2 years of simming) would ask on the forum many times, the average FS2004 would solve without asking unnecessary questions.In other words - unlike FSX, FS2004 community is more finished and completed area.

That's true, we are "smarter" :(

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

A quick note from a publisher, which may offer something concrete... using cursory numbers, I would estimate FSX addon sales are in the 3x range of what FS9 numbers are. Which is to say that if there are 100 sales of an FSX title, the FS9 title has 33.There are many other factors that come into play, but the above is not an unreasonable estimate. So, there are still some legs left to FS9, but starting develoment from scratch now on FS9 products may be more risky. There still are chances for some successes though. And if you go to the iFly forum and see some of the very nice pics posted by users, you can see why FS9 still is viable in certain circles.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

I'm also guilty. It's not perfect but I'm trying to help by reporting bugs and I hope the servicepack(s) can fix most of them.

A quick note from a publisher, which may offer something concrete... using cursory numbers, I would estimate FSX addon sales are in the 3x range of what FS9 numbers are. Which is to say that if there are 100 sales of an FSX title, the FS9 title has 33.
Taking into account that FSX was released 4 years ago - 33/99 is HUGE ratio in favor of FS2004 that was released 7 year ago.

Thanks Steve!!!Phenomenal of you to jump in... As for FS9 being viable, you don't have to convince any of us in this thread!!! We are the resilient few who get a :( everytime we try to convince people HOW viable FS9 is from a user perspective :( From a developers perspective is a whole different matter and like you said it is a risky venture at this point. I know I am still having those "holy crud look at that moments" in FS9 where it continues to blow me away regularly. Especially flying those heavies into massive hubs with full AI REX and ASE in full force...I am still amazed from an end user perspective at how much FS9 delivers but from an earnings perspective for the developers; well that is diminishing rapidly and nowhere near where we were a few years ago.-PPS... This is obviously just my opinion, not trying to state a fact or anything, just my perception recently..

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guilty as well...S.

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

When you see user repaints like this (done by Philipp Wittmann), it does make you see how FS9 still is quite nice...Austria01.jpg

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Guilty: but this is slightly amusing to me... I keep seeing these posts and threads trying to counter what Carenado, PMDG and others have said about the FS9 sales numbers. Even as a FS9 lover we have to be cognizant of the fact that there are not these huge numbers of us left... Just look at this thread for example... When I started posting there were maybe 10-15 replies. There are usually about 4-5 users browsing the FS9 forums opposed to 20+ in the FSX forums and I wager a bet that the FS9 release is not going to be some blow out selling hundreds of copies like the FSX release. Ideally Steve at Flight1 should be able to tell us how the FS9 sales were but my guess is that they are pretty weak despite the group in these forums that are still massive FS9 lovers... (myself included)I love FS9, it is still my preferred sim but I am also extremely realistic about the fact we are the minority at this point. I would wager a guess we are the minority by a massive margin as well. I just wish we could be happy with what we have, be understanding of the situation we are in and respect the fact that we are a minority without a tremendous amount of buying power behind us and as such the PMDG, Carenado etc... assessments of the marketplace is spot on. My guess would be for every 1 unit sold in FS9 it is 20 in FSX and this is coming from an FS9'er who is being realistic about the situation and not "assuming" there are massive amounts of FS9 buyers out there, not from an FSX supporter. This is my honest assessment with emotion removed just looking at it from the outside and a realistic perspective... That is just my .02,-PPS... Just look at the iFly is released thread to give you a good idea... 39 posts, 20 different forum members but that's it... It isn't 2006 when you would see 5 pages of posts for a hot new release anymore, 39 posts, 20 users is pretty indicative of what I have been seeing over the past 12-14 months. Oh the times they are a changing whether we like it or not and personally I am a not but I accept the reality around me.
I know I'm guilty on two fronts here concerning what was just wrote in this quote posted. First off the iFly bird is great just needs a little more work and liveries.Second, before you write FS9 off in favor of FSX I'd love to see the sales numbers on this one. Here you have an add-on released that the whole FS community has been asking for. Here you have an add-on that is being purchased not only by all FS9 users who find out what it really is (some GA and/or 2D panel only guys are picking this up) but dual sim users as well. The only one's who can't get this bird at this point is solid FSX users who themselves are asking for a version.iFly needs to shatter some myths because frankly I don't buy the 'bull'. Like what's been said in this thread the forums are not active as much these days because many of us are flying instead of talking about it or look for a tweak to make the sim run better. We know how to fix 90% of the issues we come across in FS9 so theirs no issue there. We now have a full world to explore with endless possibilities of flight. One day we could be in Alaska Bush flying, the other we could be flying out of Lima Peru on our way to Boston in a beautiful PMDG Atlas Air 744F dropping off achialogical bones to Harvard University (I know I'm going off the deep end :( ). The bottom line FS9 is so mature the discussion of it and optimization is no long needed as much unless there's a new discovery like 'Bloom' or a new third part release.Developers all too often release what they want versus what the community is asking for then they blame lack of sales on everything but their choice. Here we have the one thing the whole community has been asking for now let's see what happens and how viable the FS9 market is. Like I said above there's so many that have dual boot setups or running both sims that still will buy a decent FS9 add-on. FSX has so little to offer I was just reading a thread over on their forum about the lack of international airports. I stand firm in by belief this is the break down:FS9 only users: 30%FS9/FSX users: 40%FSX only users: 30%I'm basing this on the various comments on these forums over the last year since FSX has hit prime time to some extent. I don't see most totally uninstalling FS9 in favor of FSX. They use both. For those that use both that's 70% of the community that will most likely by this iFly 737. In the case of PMDG and Caranado they opted to forgo that 30% margin because they didn't feel they could get that full percentage to buy (which is true for Caranado not PMDG). PMDG's 737 would have gotten that full 30% purchase for their 737. Anyway the FS9/FSX crowd wants to populate FSX and will still buy a good FS9 add-on that they've been asking for.iFly stands to profit greatly here. All the FS9 (30%) will purchase this bird for the most part especially over time, FS9/FSX users will get this bird maybe twice, and they may get 15% of the FSX users to by this but their competition with the PMDG 737. So the moral of the story here is you release what people want the whole community with support you for the most park. The FS9 market isn't dead by a long shot. The sole FS9 user base is smaller but you have to take into account the dual crowd.Again I wish we could see the sales numbers broken down by iFly because sorry excuse developers are using to drop FS9 is valid in some ways depending on the product but in the case of PMDG I feel it's 'BS' with a product like the 737NG...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I don't see most totally uninstalling FS9 in favor of FSX. They use both.
I personally think that is a big assumption but that is just me... Not many net new users are installing FS9 at all IMHO. A lot of existing users have un-installed it completely and a "few" are trickling back in favor of the high FPS.But again, I don't think that is the majority... I can't understand why some continue to think that the majority of developers coming to the same conclusion is "bull" based on numbers out of thin air that obviously don't mesh with the real #'s the dev's are seeing. I don't get the conspiracy theory... I also don't consider them "sorry excuse developers" because they moved away from a 7 year old sim. And again, I am an FS9 guy!!!I actually see it as inevitable, not excuses, conspiracy theories or bull. And I disagree with your "huge profits" statement. Quite honestly all these guys are in business for a reason, to make money. Realistically thinking they would all give up "huge profits" is mind blowing IMHO. Why would any company pass up huge profits?Edit:PS, that repaint is unreal and I think the color pallet in FS9 is much better looking... Personally I always felt the FSX colors were too cartoonish but again, just my opinion! Now I just need my CO repaints :)EDIT: PSS. Nothing personal at all with anyone, just differing opinions but all with the utmost respect!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

When you see user repaints like this (done by Philipp Wittmann), it does make you see how FS9 still is quite nice...
I totally agree . Fs9 is still getting better and better.Guilty:well, once my flightsim computer gets internet back up and working .....

I totally agree . Fs9 is still getting better and better.Guilty,well once my flightsim computer gets internet back up and working.....
Gonna have to go buy Innsbruck now ;)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk