Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

FSX W7-64 CTD when full screen to windowed mode

Hi all. I have a very annoying issue that almost always happens when I press alt enter to go from Full Screen to Windowed mode. I have had this issue ever since I upgraded from XP64 to windows 7 64. I start most of my flights in windowed mode so I can work with other apps (TOPCAT, Active Sky Evolution, fuel planners) to prepare for flight. I then go full screen when I'm ready for departure. Once at cruise, I alt enter to windowed mode so I can keep tabs of weather in ASE or web browsing. But more often than not, when I switch between full screen and windowed mode, FSX CTD's with random appcrash scenarios (most often stackhash). I also run into problems when I stay in Full Screen mode and use the recommended windows key press to switch between FSX and other apps. I had never had issues with changing from full screen to windowed and back for years, but it now happens 95% of the time. Thank goodness I have FSUIPC to autosave all flights. Here are the particulars of my setup:- FSX is on its own hard drive, UAC is off, Firewall is on for FSX and addons, everything is run as administrator- ESET is A/V- FSX is setup to NickN's advice- UIAutomation.dll is in the FSX folder. - A/C is LevelD 767 or PMDG MD11. - Only "tweaks" to my CFG file is Highmemfix=1 and AffinityMask=14 (I have to have this because TRACKIR will stutter without it)I had been using Nvidia driver 257.21 with these issues, I decided to update to the newer 258.96 and rebuilt my CFG file, but to no avail.I had researched extensively on optimizing the OS and FSX for w7 and for the most part everything is smooth and perfect except for this repeatable issue with full to windowed mode.Any advice? Is this common for W7 64bit?

I've had problems with full / win mode in the past and still get it now with 3D surround. I always pause the sim before swapping and I have the win mode display size very small. That fixed my problem. Although I understand pausing may not be an option for you.

Keith Sandford.

I have never had this problem myself but have you tried changing your setting for auto hiding the task bar? Changing the setting to your current opposite might change the behaviour. It would be worth a try.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I constantly alt-enter between full screen and windowed mode and I have no issues with W7 x64 crashing. Try running FSX by itself (No TrakIR, no ASE, etc...) and see if you still have the crashes. Then work from there.

I tried running in window mode exclusively (with the windows task bar on autohide) and no crashes happen if I don't switch to full screen. This is a viable solution because now windowed mode will allow AA. However, I am bothered by the windows bar at the top and a slight bleed in the bottom of the window. I would rather not fly in this mode, I have always run full screen and would like to resolve this. As a test, I tried pausing the sim before switching to full screen, and it crashed. Something is really wrong, and I will try some of the following before I attempt a fresh reinstall.- removing enbseries bloom- Turning off affinitymask (but then trackir will go back to stuttering, a new windows 7 issue that really is perplexing in itself)Turning off TrackIR is not an option, I fly VC only or not at all. It's a shame because I spent about a week installing w7, FSX and all my addons, and defragging the drives, I wish I could nail down what is happening here :(

Guest firehawk44
I tried running in window mode exclusively (with the windows task bar on autohide) and no crashes happen if I don't switch to full screen. This is a viable solution because now windowed mode will allow AA. However, I am bothered by the windows bar at the top and a slight bleed in the bottom of the window. I would rather not fly in this mode, I have always run full screen and would like to resolve this. As a test, I tried pausing the sim before switching to full screen, and it crashed. Something is really wrong, and I will try some of the following before I attempt a fresh reinstall.- removing enbseries bloom- Turning off affinitymask (but then trackir will go back to stuttering, a new windows 7 issue that really is perplexing in itself)Turning off TrackIR is not an option, I fly VC only or not at all. It's a shame because I spent about a week installing w7, FSX and all my addons, and defragging the drives, I wish I could nail down what is happening here :(
You need to find out exactly what is causing your freezes/CTD's and you didn't mention any error message(s) you would get after each freeze/crash as stated in the W7 Event Viewer. From what I have read and looking at your system, it looks like you are over clocked too much and putting too many resources on your system. Your system cannot run with all sliders to the right (well, maybe for five to ten minutes) w/o becoming unstable. When you go to full screen, your video drivers are really crunching for resources (but fsx really likes the full screen mode visually). Full screen also gives you the best fps if properly configured. Save your current fsx.cfg and then load the default. Also bring back your o/cing. Even the guys/gals who own the I7 975x or 980x can't successfully o/c to 4.20GHz! It's not going to give you anymore eye-candy with full sliders to the right and o/cing to the max. Just more issues....Best regards,Jim

Great advice, I was considering if the o/c was causing issues, but aside from the full screen scenario I never have any problems. Anyhow, I removed the two Enbseries files (the ini and the d3d9.dll) and lo and behold, no more crashes during alt enter or windows key/enter for the short tests I have done so far. I have always had ENBseries, but what is new for me is the affinity mask entry which I was forced to do to counter the TRACKIR stuttering. I think I read somewhere that ENBseries doesn't play nice with affinity mask, so I suspect its either of those two that are causing issues.I will next try Enbseries without the affinity tweak to see if I can narrow it down to either of the two. I don't want to lose the bloom, but I can surely live without it. Maybe I need to tone down the settings in the bloom ini.I am hoping NaturalPoint will issue a fix for windows7 causing stutters/fps loss without the affinitymask, I fear that setting alone is crippling FSX in w7 (and something that NickN has said is not needed with my setup and w7 with the latest nvidia drivers)Thanks again!

I use the ENB Series with the Affinty Mask and I do not have any issues. Try uninstalling your video drivers and reinstalling them.

I tried changing drivers (from 257.21 to the newest 258.96). I followed the recommended advice of uninstalling from the add/remove programs, rebooting into safe mode and running driver sweeper to remove old driver remnants, and rebooting to install 258.96. May I ask what driver you are using? Do you have TrackIR?

I'm using driver revision 258.96. I do own two TrackIRs, however, I no longer use them with FSX.

Been stuggling with Win 7-64 / FSX for weeks and finally lowered my OC from 4.35 to 4.06. Haven't had any CTD or freezes (at critical times) since; however afterflying for a significant period (10+ min), if I attempt to "End the Flight" or "Exit" FSX I will usually get the "....Program has Stopped Responding" error message.BTW, I updated my GTX480 drivers to V258.96 yesterday and have had one good flight since (except for the usual error msg during FSX Exit).Don't use any of the TrackIR hardware (yet ~:) Where can I find the ENB Series software for FSX. I visited the native website but my Russian language skills are lacking........... I'd like to try the software.Best to all,Ken BoardmanWin 7-64, FSX with Accel Pack, FS Commander, FS Flightkeeper, FT/Wilco Airbus Vol 1, LVD B763, PMDG B744EVGA X58 E760, i7 930 OC 4.0ghz, EVGA GTX 480 SC @ 850/2000, 6GB gSkill

Ken Boardman

Guest firehawk44
Where can I find the ENB Series software for FSX. I visited the native website but my Russian language skills are lacking........... I'd like to try the software.Best to all,Ken BoardmanWin 7-64, FSX with Accel Pack, FS Commander, FS Flightkeeper, FT/Wilco Airbus Vol 1, LVD B763, PMDG B744EVGA X58 E760, i7 930 OC 4.0ghz, EVGA GTX 480 SC @ 850/2000, 6GB gSkill
Just did a Google search for enb series and here's one website: http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm. It appears his website is down as I see the 404 error. I think this link I just gave you is to his new site.Best regards,Jim

Thanks Jim. I guess I'll need to be patient.Best regards,Ken

Ken Boardman

Thanks for the tip. I have it installed and it appears to be working great !Also found a few web sites with documentation regarding settings:http://enbdev.com/doc_en.htmhttp://gtabay.cba.pl/index_dokumentacja_gta4_en.htmBest regards,Ken Boardman

Ken Boardman