Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Frames Rates Solved Forever

Guys,Hear this. I found a thread from a guy call Geofa yesterday who said a simple change to the fs9.cfg file helped his framerates. I was sceptical but tried it last night. UNBELIVEABLE !!!!!I was experienceing Frame Rates of 8-9 with PMDGs panel on FS9 with the sliders back to low levels. I made this change and I am getting frame rates between 24 and 29 with (you may not believe this) sliders at max in every area. This is find of the century. I don't really understand how it works but it does. It's unbelievable.How to do this :1. Locate your fs9.cfg (enough mails to show you how to do this)2.Find line DISPLAY.DEVICE. NVIDIA GEFORCE (whatever card you have) I have a GEFORCE 3 Ti200.(use Search or Find DISP) and you will see it.3.Change the line to DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP4. Save the FS9.cfg file. Thats IT.Run FS9 put all your sliders to MAX and set your framerate lock to 25 or 30. See what happens. It worked for me.Not sure about ATI cards but for Nvidia this works.Thanks to Geoff he has solved the biggest problem for Flight Simmers since FS2000.Rgds, Hooch

Guest tascaso

Yes .... Geofa made a wonderful discovery and yes it does improve the framerates with most aircraft. Unfortunately for me the PMDG B737 is still a bit to slow for complete enjoyment especially in really nasty weather. We shall see how that one pans out. Now the RFP B747-200 has been patched for FS2004 and that things runs steady 20's on the frame rate counter. Hooray for Ralph and his crew...we now have heavy iron to cruise around in the beautiful FS2004 skies,Tony

Guest SoarPics

Hoochy, you should check a few things now that you've done this tweak.First, check all of your display settings. Some have been changed (lowered). Trilinear Filtering had been lowered to Bilinear. Many of your other display settings have been lowered or turned off. Also, your AI Traffic is probably lower... possibly as low as 10% now. A thorough look at all your settings will reveal the changes.Geof has said that this is no magic bullet. What he gained was the ability to adjust his display sliders, which he didn't have before the tweak. If your particular video card is listed in the Display.cfg file, then there really is no reason (or gain) from making this tweak.Good luck,

I did those checks. I reset to 1024 x 768 x 32 reset to trilinear and put everything to MAX. It still worked.It may not be a magic bullet but its definately having a magic effect on my flying experience.By the way this is also using the PMDG 737NG panel which is heavy duty stuff.Can I explain it .. no.But it's there before my eyes.Rgds, Hooch (John BTW)

@HoochThis just makes FS run on a lower driver level, and produce more FPS but you loose some of the detail. My terrain seemed blurrier.

Guest SoarPics

Hi John,Well, if it works for you that's all that matters. But the line call in the display.cfg does nothing more than spec a lower driver level (as ACA308 pointed out). Certainly, some folks are seeing a difference in their sim, but the tweak does nothing magical.Glad you're happy with it,

You are practicing witchcraft and you will be burned at the stake. :-jumpy I got a small boost in frame rate but the building and ground objects really sharpened up.Good post.