Sign in to follow this  
ppo

Speed problem?

This Caravan is nice but if you are having problems with the <speed> it may be that the SPOILER is activated.Yes indeed, the Caravan 208B has a spoiler. In this Carenado model however, it is on by default (it seems). Note that it may depend onif you have a key defined for the Spoilers. Also you have no VISUAL clues that it is activated: no visuals in the VC or outside (look at far end of the wings).What you will feel however is that when you turn the Spoiler off (whatever the key it is set to) you will get your speed OK.Pierrenote: any quality control out there?

Pierre

Really? I got to check this, I haven't even considered it!

Really? I got to check this, I haven't even considered it!
Yes, let us know Federico

Pierre

I don't see anything weird here, the spoiler button makes no difference. Are you sure about that?

Can't confirm it either. Pressing that key makes no shred of difference for me.

Can't confirm it either. Pressing that key makes no shred of difference for me.
I can confirm it. Did several tests: tried simple load of trekkies and switched to Carenado208b. Checked that my key pressed was not tied to something else and no it was fine. Checked that the spoiler key worked for a heavy. Worked.Reflew with the Carenado and it does it again: on a level flight at 4.5k I am doing 145k ias with the spoiler key it goes down to 85-90kts.Checked my version of the Caravan: version 1.0.0.0. Using Win7 Ult 64bit.Have no explanation yet.

Pierre

I can confirm it. Did several tests: tried simple load of trekkies and switched to Carenado208b. Checked that my key pressed was not tied to something else and no it was fine. Checked that the spoiler key worked for a heavy. Worked.Reflew with the Carenado and it does it again: on a level flight at 4.5k I am doing 145k ias with the spoiler key it goes down to 85-90kts.Checked my version of the Caravan: version 1.0.0.0. Using Win7 Ult 64bit.Have no explanation yet.
Hmmm, interesting. The first flight I ever took with the 208, I could barely get it up to 85-90 KIAS. Later that day, I loaded it from a different saved flight and suddenly the speeds were in the 130-140 range. If the first saved flight had spoilers activated, that would explain it. I'll have to do some more checking on this.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I'm at the office so I can't check this, but is there a setting in the aircraft.cfg that enables the speed brakes? If so, try setting it to "0" and see if that makes a difference.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Hi Gentlemen,I have activated and disactivated two times the spoiler command and got:At 4200 ft an IAS of 155 knots. ( 1787 Ft-Lbs, 1776 prop RPM, 754°C ITT )Is this normal ?.....Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,It's pretty hard to tell if that's correct. Try setting power so that ITT is at or below 740oC, and prop RPM at either 1900 or 1750. Also, tell us what the OAT is.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Jean-Pierre,It's pretty hard to tell if that's correct. Try setting power so that ITT is at or below 740oC, and prop RPM at either 1900 or 1750. Also, tell us what the OAT is.
Hello Kurt,OAT 8°C (47/48 F), altitude: 3800 ft, ITT 741°C, prop RPM 1900, Tq 1633 ft-lbs, speed: 153 KIAS with 3 knots wind on the nose.Without wind more or less 156 KIASJean-Pierre

Could it be that the spoiler command is activating the inertial seperator? hence the drop in airspeed? I'm not at home so I can't confirm. Just a thoughtI don't believe the 208 has spoilers per se, but it does in fact have, umm well I guess you could call them spoilerons. They only seem to be working in conjuntion with the ailerons.

Could it be that the spoiler command is activating the inertial seperator? hence the drop in airspeed? I'm not at home so I can't confirm. Just a thoughtI don't believe the 208 has spoilers per se, but it does in fact have, umm well I guess you could call them spoilerons. They only seem to be working in conjuntion with the ailerons.
I believe you have something there Rick. Here is what the airplane geometry section says:spoiler_limit = 90.0spoiler_extension_time = 1.0spoilerons_available = 0aileron_to_spoileron_gain = 3min_ailerons_for_spoilerons = 5min_flaps_for_spoilerons = 0auto_spoiler_available = 0Now, let's go and see if I can determine if the intertial separator is activated?Pierre

Pierre

Jean-Pierre, that looks spot on.From the Cessna Grand Caravan PIH:"The airplane's flight control system (see Flight Control And TrimSystems figure) consists of conventional aileron, elevator and ruddercontrol surfaces and a pair of spoilers mounted above the outboardends of the flaps. The control surfaces are manually operated throughmechanical linkage using a control wheel for the ailerons, spoilers andelevator and rudder/brake pedals for the rudder. The wing spoilersimprove lateral control of the airplane at low speeds by disrupting liftover the appropriate flap. The spoilers are interconnected with theaileron system through a push-rod mounted to an arm on the aileronbell crank. Spoiler travel is proportional to aileron travel for ailerondeflections in excess of 5° up. The spoilers are retracted throughout theremainder of aileron travel. Aileron servo tabs provide reducedmaneuvering control wheel forces."We might be onto something here. This might be the source of our speed problem...then all that remains is the excessive ITT.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK