Sign in to follow this  
ppo

Speed problem?

Now, let's go and see if I can determine if the intertial separator is activated?
The inertial seperator is linked to the carb heat command, if that helps.

Jean-Pierre, that looks spot on.From the Cessna Grand Caravan PIH:"The airplane's flight control system (see Flight Control And TrimSystems figure) consists of conventional aileron, elevator and ruddercontrol surfaces and a pair of spoilers mounted above the outboardends of the flaps. The control surfaces are manually operated throughmechanical linkage using a control wheel for the ailerons, spoilers andelevator and rudder/brake pedals for the rudder. The wing spoilersimprove lateral control of the airplane at low speeds by disrupting liftover the appropriate flap. The spoilers are interconnected with theaileron system through a push-rod mounted to an arm on the aileronbell crank. Spoiler travel is proportional to aileron travel for ailerondeflections in excess of 5° up. The spoilers are retracted throughout theremainder of aileron travel. Aileron servo tabs provide reducedmaneuvering control wheel forces."We might be onto something here. This might be the source of our speed problem...then all that remains is the excessive ITT.
This makes sense, as airliners use in-board spoilers for high speed operations (high speed ailerons) These take stress off the outer portion of the wing while at cruise speeds during turns. And looking at the caravan and it's purpose as a short field/low speed plane, it makes perfect sense to utilize an out-board spoiler type system in conjunction with the ailerons to provide added agility at lower speeds. IE. setting up for a short final with a turn on short base!

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Here's another bit of anecdotal corroboration for ya: I was leaving Walter Sutton's farm last night, doing some Caravan sightseeing and testing the new air file mods. Right after takeoff, I noticed the plane was struggling to get up to 80KIAS, so I leveled out. It wouldn't go any faster, even at full power and prop. Then I remembered the "/" key (spoilers), and hit it. Instantly, the plane began to surge ahead, quickly reaching normal performance. What I need is some visual way to tell if the spoilers are extended. I'm thinking about just setting a key in FSUIPC that retracts them, and making that keypress part of my preflight setup.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

That's really strange. I never experienced severe speed problems like that and the spoiler button (doesn't matter if I take the keyboard shortcut or the assigned button on my throttle) doesn't do anything.

That's really strange. I never experienced severe speed problems like that and the spoiler button (doesn't matter if I take the keyboard shortcut or the assigned button on my throttle) doesn't do anything.
No problem here, either. Maybe depends on exactly how you load the aircraft.

No problem here, either. Maybe depends on exactly how you load the aircraft.
I'm thinking that, too. It's only the second time I've had this speed limitation problem, but it happened when starting from two different saved flights.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I load my flights by selecting the aircraft of my choice and the airport directly from the main menu. I don't load another aircraft first. Since some settings can bleed through from the default savegame, I made my default savegame a completely cold & dark default Cessna 172.

Here's another bit of anecdotal corroboration for ya: I was leaving Walter Sutton's farm last night, doing some Caravan sightseeing and testing the new air file mods. Right after takeoff, I noticed the plane was struggling to get up to 80KIAS, so I leveled out. It wouldn't go any faster, even at full power and prop. Then I remembered the "/" key (spoilers), and hit it. Instantly, the plane began to surge ahead, quickly reaching normal performance. What I need is some visual way to tell if the spoilers are extended. I'm thinking about just setting a key in FSUIPC that retracts them, and making that keypress part of my preflight setup.
Bill, as I'm working on the air and cfg files, I noticed that 80 knots is the "low speed theory" boundary. Below 80 knots the plane is speed unstable, this means that to accelerate you have to lower your nose. Also called the back of the drag curve, below Vmd (velocity of minimum drag) if you just increase the power you'll stall. As you're in the takeoff phase, you have your maximum power in, so the only way out is lower your nose, pass 85 knots, raise the flaps and you should be ok.I don't know how well FS creates this low speed flying thing, but the parameter is there, so...Cheers