Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

FSGenesis Mesh a Frame Rate Problem?

I thought I read somewhere that possibly the FSGenesis mesh was a frame rate problem in FS9. Is that true? I did install my FSGenesis files sometime after I began my FS9 flights. Can't remember if it was between my OK flights and the problems. Might have to remove them and see what happens.Steve

I was reading the Forum over at (youknowhereflightsim.com) and there is talk of a memory leak when you use landclass scenery if you place it incorrectly. I have added FSGenesis' 38m Mesh and their Landclass Beta 6 to FS9. So, because I'm having so many problems with frame rates, freezes, etc., I'm going to do a full removal and reinstall of FS9. Going back to basics. I've only added 3 aircraft at this point so it's not a big deal. I've saved all of Ruud's textures so I can put them into FS9 easily. The mesh + landclass from FS2002 may be my problem and if it is this will prove it -- and prove my GeForce 4200Ti and Sound Blaster Live are AOK.

Guest SteveJ

I'm using FSGenesis' 38m Mesh (east & west coasts) and their Landclass Beta 6 also in FS9. I have not detected any loss in fps, but using both improve the scenery immensely for me. I consider the 38m mesh and landclass at the top of my list of additions for FS9 enjoyment. Steve J.

There is NO problem, none at all.It's simply a matter of mathematics. Default mesh requires X amounts of CPU cycles to calculate, FSGenesis mesh is Y times denser and thus requires Y^2xX CPU cycles (roughly).If your CPU can't handle that, your performance will suffer.Why don't you just go back to FSW95? I'm sure you'd get excellent framerates on your current computer.

Guest SoarPics

"Why don't you just go back to FSW95? I'm sure you'd get excellent framerates on your current computer."Geez, Jereon, that was helpful!!! The guy has been pulling his hair out trying to sort the problems he's having, and you tell him to step back almost 10 years. We're trying to get Steve's set-up squared away, not send him away.You know a great deal about all this stuff, so feel free to step in and offer your assistance.Cheers,

Guest cw1011

I'm using the FS Genesis mesh - if you follow their installation instructions on their website (hard to find - but there are a number of articles on moving files) you will have no problems at all. I have not had the memory leak problem that I think you are referencing. Colin

Never bought that one. I was still using Flight Assignment ATP: Airline Transport Pilot on my 386SX-16. Now, there was a sim. Started simming in 1991 with it. I also had FS3, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, need I continue?My PC (see specs below) should not be having any of the problems I'm having. Others with similar rigs are "enjoying" the fruits of FS9. I can't for whatever reason. If you don't want to or can't help me, please keep it to yourself. Otherwise, have a pleasant day. :-wave

>If you don't want to or can't help me, please keep it to>yourself. Otherwise, have a pleasant day. :-waveBlow it off... seems to be a lot more of those type of replies lately. Springs are winding tighter around here. I've yet to figure out why.

I had a problem with the landclass, but that's because I put it in the addons folder with an empty "texture" directory. If you create a texture directory, FS will bog down as it constantly searches for the textures that don't exist, I guess. Frame rates were the same, but it was a stutter-fest till I fixed my problem.I'm assuming the same thing applies to mesh.Since you saw these posts, I'm assuming this isn't your problem? I've been using the FSgenesis landclass and some of his freeware mesh and haven't run into any issues, other than--as I said--my rookie error.

come on guys, it's a hobby not a life...lighten up...and maybe this thread should be locked since the valuable information seems to have been offered, amidst the occasional bursts of grief...Sherm

Ahhhh ATP...I would have been famous if the web had been as active then. I figured out a way to hack the ATP "ground", and before I was done, I had changed the cities and some other ground types to more realistic colors. You know, I only dumped ATP very recently? Got tired of the constant texture blurring :)-John

Hi Steve.I've seen no proof of problems with addon mesh.Addon landclass works as it should, but it cannot be added to a 'scenery' folder that has a 'texture' folder twin. If you try this in FS2002, you'll get huge squares of grey and green... and notices that the textures are missing.In FS2004, the landclass will show... but without any notice, your memory will be consumed until you are using the harddrive's pagefiling, and your sim will eventually crawl to a halt.A safe place for landclass is ( I believe ) "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryBASEScenery"But any scenery project folder structure that does NOT have the twin 'texture' sub-folder will work, while still having the 'scenery' sub-folder for the BGLs.I have a project folder for landclass ( named "LandClass" ) and another called "Mesh". Both have 'scenery' sub-folders, neither have 'texture' sub-folders... they don't need them. Both folders are added and activated by the Scenery Library.================Another sneaky loss of speed in the display is apparently caused by the way FS refuses to "release" objects and their textures from memory until you leave the Bgl's lat-long bounds ( not simply when they are no longer visible ). When you fly over suburban areas to the major airports, you are "collecting" objects ( and their polys and textures ) from every autogen in the area, and during the landing, the airport's polys and mipping can become overwhelming.Dick

Dick, This is apparently what is happening to me. I erased my FS9.cfg file, rebooted, and started up FS9 to let it generate a new .cfg file. I then edited in the changes I knew weren't a problem: Such as adding the {oldmodules} fssound.dll=1 line for my Nick Botamer's ERJs, and some Terrain settings. I flew from Omaha to St Louis in a FFX MD82 and everything was just about perfect. Frame rates were in the 25 range (maxed at 26). My minimum fps shown on the Avg fps meter was in the 7-9 fps range. Much better than before. However, when I was 19 miles from runway 12L at St Louis, all of a sudden out of the blue, it all came to a screeching halt. Frozen video. No HD light or activity. The mouse could be moved. The sound continued. After about 3 minutes and 3 frames or so, it stopped and I was at 2,000 ft and 15 miles from the runway. (When it started I was at 5,500 ft decending to 4,000 ft and 19 miles out). Sounds just like what you are describing with the paging. I had Autogen set to off because I think the houses sitting around the major airports are unreal... No shadows, pretty much default settings on everything else. If I can get this pause thing fixed I would be happy with FS9.... How do I conquer the pauses My landclass file is in the C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryBASEScenery folder as it should be. Is there a FS landclass file that should be removed??? Thanks.