So, as per a post I wrote a little while ago, my trusty old nVidia 9800GX2 burnt out, so I was forced to buy a new card.Decided on the XFX HD 5970, which is supposed to be the absolute best thing on the market. But the idiots designed the thing 13 inches long, so it wouldn't fit in my case.I had to settle for the HD 5870, a card several generations newer than the 9800GX2. It's a single GPU, instead of the 9800GX2 2 GPUs, but it still should be faster, according to the specs.Not so...Slightly lower frames (5-15 fps) and the textures are not as crisp. Is this possible?!? No way this thing can be this bad....Is there something I'm missing? Are there any great ATI tweaking programs out there like nHancer? ATI people... please help me out here! Thanks - daniel

Guest jahman

You need to download and install Bojote's "Shader 3.0" mod from the AVSIM library and add the "HighMem" and "BP=0" fixes to your fsx.cfg. See the relevant threads in this forum for each of the three mods.Cheers,- jahman.

Just try the latest driver 10.8. really helpful. (crossfire still doesn't support FSX,and BP=0 has some problem when I try it)And what is the detail of HighMem setting in FSX.cfg?

Sorry should have said FS2004.And I have the 10.8 Catalyst Software. I just don't think this thing will do FS2004 - I'll have to return it for either a GTX295 or GTX480.

Sorry should have said FS2004.And I have the 10.8 Catalyst Software. I just don't think this thing will do FS2004 - I'll have to return it for either a GTX295 or GTX480.
HelloThe GTX295 would be another bad choice, these twin GPU cards do badly in FS9 and FSXJust get the GTX460 which is more than enough for FS9 and FSX, small power efficient ,runs cool and is very fast.

HelloThe GTX295 would be another bad choice, these twin GPU cards do badly in FS9 and FSXJust get the GTX460 which is more than enough for FS9 and FSX, small power efficient ,runs cool and is very fast.
+1

I can get GTX480 with the credit for the HD5870... that should work just as well for FS2004 as the GTX460, plus have a little something extra for other games, shouldn't it? - daniel

if you play other games and your board supports SLI, I would pick 2 GTX460 1GB and overclock them. For about the same price I'm pretty sure they'll be much faster than a single 480