Sign in to follow this  
TheBFG

Developers who still use multiple vcockpit entries (iFly)

Before buying the new iFly 737, I asked a buddy to send me the panel.cfg from his new purchase.The file contains 4 vcockpit entries. This means that all VC gauges will only run at your sim fps divided by FOUR. If you want gauges running at 15fps, your sim needs to be doing 60, which is near impossible.Why do developers still do this? PMDG's newer products get around this by combining all gauges into a single vcockpit entry. I never buy an aircraft with more than 2 vcockpit entries, because with more they are basically unflyable. You can't have gauges refreshing at 5-10 fps, and I don't understand how so many people clearly put up with it without even noticing. It's a total show stopper for me.So after much excitement, there's no way I can buy this aircraft. And I have indeed now been hearing about painfully slow gauges in the VC. iFly's solution: set your sim to run at unlimited fps. That's really poor.What confuses me is why this issue doesn't get more attention. Surely these pathetic gauge refresh rates in these poorly designed VCs irritate the hell out of others too.In the PMDG 737 they use 3, and I disable the overhead panel entry to get it down to 2, making the aircraft flyable, and using the popup overhead panel instead. iFly has 4, and you can't remove any of them while retaining basic functionality. So the gauges will run at only 5fps if your frames are locked to 20. And then they charge you $55 for it.lol no thanks.I'll take my iFly money and spend it on some of those new Aerosoft FS9 airports, and fly there with my PMDG 737 with its gauges that update more than once a day.

Guest belga1

Hello,Interesting.Was not aware of this phenomena .. or at least ... the cause ..Can you elaborate a further more ?Regards.bye.gifGus.

belga1: The problem is that FS can only handle one vcockpit entry per "cycle". So your VC gauges will always be restricted to your fps divided by number of vcockpit entries.It's the way FS has always been, and the reason for PMDG coming up with such an ingenious solution to the problem.Other developers really should try sticking to a maximum of 2 entries. 3 is possible, if you can remove one of them ala-overhead panel in the PMDG 737. But FOUR... that kills everything.

belga1: The problem is that FS can only handle one vcockpit entry per "cycle". So your VC gauges will always be restricted to your fps divided by number of vcockpit entries.It's the way FS has always been, and the reason for PMDG coming up with such an ingenious solution to the problem.Other developers really should try sticking to a maximum of 2 entries. 3 is possible, if you can remove one of them ala-overhead panel in the PMDG 737. But FOUR... that kills everything.
HelloFour is a big improvement from the Ariane BBJ which had around 17 entries.

Four is a big improvement from the Ariane BBJ which had around 17 entries
Wow, that means Ariane VC users were flying at around 2FPS? :Hypnotized:I didn't know about this problem. Seriously.Maybe because I'm a 2D flyer.

HelloFour is a big improvement from the Ariane BBJ which had around 17 entries.
Woah... lolSo about 1-2 fps on those gauges then.
Wow, that means Ariane VC users were flying at around 2FPS? :Hypnotized:I didn't know about this problem. Seriously.Maybe because I'm a 2D flyer.
Yeah this will not affect those who fly in the 2D cockpit, but I hate the 2D cockpit :)

Woah... lolSo about 1-2 fps on those gauges then.Yeah this will not affect those who fly in the 2D cockpit, but I hate the 2D cockpit :)
HelloYou could be nearly finished flying the SID before they indicated the first turn :(

Yup. The aircraft performs fine, but the refresh rate of the gauges is absolutely horrible. It is the reason I have not reinstalled the plane on my new machine...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I didnt know about this either.That is not good at all, How many does the Leveld 767 have???EDIT: it has three, So for sure the IFLY has 4 of them??

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Before buying the new iFly 737, I asked a buddy to send me the panel.cfg from his new purchase.The file contains 4 vcockpit entries. This means that all VC gauges will only run at your sim fps divided by FOUR. If you want gauges running at 15fps, your sim needs to be doing 60, which is near impossible.Why do developers still do this? PMDG's newer products get around this by combining all gauges into a single vcockpit entry. I never buy an aircraft with more than 2 vcockpit entries, because with more they are basically unflyable. You can't have gauges refreshing at 5-10 fps, and I don't understand how so many people clearly put up with it without even noticing. It's a total show stopper for me.So after much excitement, there's no way I can buy this aircraft. And I have indeed now been hearing about painfully slow gauges in the VC. iFly's solution: set your sim to run at unlimited fps. That's really poor.What confuses me is why this issue doesn't get more attention. Surely these pathetic gauge refresh rates in these poorly designed VCs irritate the hell out of others too.In the PMDG 737 they use 3, and I disable the overhead panel entry to get it down to 2, making the aircraft flyable, and using the popup overhead panel instead. iFly has 4, and you can't remove any of them while retaining basic functionality. So the gauges will run at only 5fps if your frames are locked to 20. And then they charge you $55 for it.lol no thanks.I'll take my iFly money and spend it on some of those new Aerosoft FS9 airports, and fly there with my PMDG 737 with its gauges that update more than once a day.
I posted this over on iFly's support page to hopefully get addressed. My question is now how do we correct this in the mean time?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I guess im on hold now till further notice, I was really pumped for this, but good that I learned about this. Im not a 100% VC user but like it to be usuable when i want to use it.How does one disable a section of the VC, and exactly what does that do while in the sim???? not clickable Im guessing?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

O.K. I looked at this thinking something didn't sound right. First off the iFly panel.cfg file only contains '3' VC cockpit entries not '4'. None of the gauges repeat themselves in the various sections. I know what the original poster is talking about but this is not the case here. Yes they could drop the sections down to two but when gauges aren't repeating themselves there is no instance of a gauge loading 4x in one session. The reason the various sections is done this way is you can have a lower resolution in one section of the VC that's less critical than another. You can have the best resolution in the area where the PFD and ND screens reside. I'm not buying this when it comes to this bird but like I said I understand the point. Some developers are clueless on this and others are doing this for a reason to actually increase VC performance not take away from it... :(

FS2020 

O.K. I looked at this thinking something didn't sound right. First off the panel.cfg file only contains '3' VC cockpit entries not '4'. None of the gauges repeat themselves in the various sections. I know what the original poster is talking about but this is not the case here. Yes they could drop the sections down to two but when gauges aren't repeating themselves there is no instance of a gauge loading 4x in one session. The reason the various sections is done this way is you can have a lower resolution in one section of the VC that's less critical than another. You can have the best resolution in the area where the PFD and ND screens reside. I'm not buying this when it comes to this bird but like I said I understand the point. Some developers are clueless on this and others are doing for a reason to actually increase VC performance... :(
So i would be able to lower the resolution on one section of the vc to acheive better performance?? How is this done?ThanksIm so confused now while deciding to make the purchase now or wait.

So i would be able to lower the resolution on one section of the vc to acheive better performance?? How is this done?ThanksIm so confused now while deciding to make the purchase now or wait.
[VCockpit01]size_mm=1024,1024pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$Gauge_01background_color=0,0,0An example here is changing the setting 'pixel_size=512,512' in the next VC section that you could program for the center panel between the seats. A third section could deal with the overhead panel and the fourth could deal with the co-pilot side of the VC.

FS2020 

[VCockpit01]size_mm=1024,1024pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$Gauge_01background_color=0,0,0An example here is changing the setting 'pixel_size=512,512' in the next VC section that you could program for the center panel between the seats. A third section could deal with the overhead panel and the fourth could deal with the co-pilot side of the VC.
Thanks