Sign in to follow this  
Guest xoio

Need help editing .air & .cfg files. - altering flap lift vs plane pitch

Guest xoio

Hi to anyone how knows about the parameters in the .air & .cfg files.I'm fiddling around with an air file, to alter the way in which the flaps affect the nose down pitch of a plane when flaps are deployed & the amount of lift that is generated. I think i've found the params that control the amount of lift, however I'm stumped to know which params to edit in the .air file that controls the amount of DOWN pitch the aircraft experiences when a notch of flaps is extended.Basically what do i edit so that i can control the amount of nose pitch downwards when i extend flaps.... even as far as NO pitch change at all, just an increase in lift?Some please help with an answer.RegardsAl.

The short answer.... Check out the default Cessna aircraft.cfg entries. They are commented, and you will easily find the parameters related to the flaps, from lift to drag and pitch. For your purposes, an aircraft.cfg edit is easier than an .air file edit. I don't have access to an aircraft.cfg at the moment--otherwise I'd post the specific entries for you... Hope this helps...-John

Guest xoio

Hi JohnThanks for the reply, however, it's really getting to grips with the .air file that I need. I've altered the .cfg 'pitch_scalar' variable, to wild levels to see it's affects , & all it seems to do is still keep the plane at the SAME pitch angle caused by the flap, it just uses more trim to do so...It's the opposite i want to see...... to be able to control the AMOUNT of pitch angle that a flap setting causes. & this seems to only be settable in the .air file. ???It's like the 'lift_scalar' in .cfg, altering this did bugger all!!, until i found a param in the .air file relating to lift, that actually started to make a difference... It is this similar param for PITCH that i am after in the .air file...Any other adice from anyone??RegardsAl

Guest Milton

In record 1101, pitch section, cm_df pitch moment - flaps= Positive number for nose down. I use a +0.1 for the Dash 7 for a significant effect.Milton

Guest xoio

12 hrs after posting on a busy site like this, & NO replies???With all the NEW original aircraft continually being designed, & their flight dynamics behaving EXACTLY how they were intended. I fail to believe that there aren't a lot of people out their who DO know what to edit in an air file in order to control the amount of downward pitch when a notch of flaps is applied?I look forward to enlightenment concerning this.AL

Guest SoarPics

AL,Uhh... you could do a search... you could even do a search for "Milton"... in fact, you could do a search in this very same thread... look for the reply just above your previous post.Cheers,

Guest xoio

Miltons responce only appeared a few mins ago..However.. I shall give it a go & a BIG GOLD STAR to Milton if it works!!fingers crossedThanksAl.