Sign in to follow this  
a3ifs40

Windows 7 upgrade advice

Good Afternoon In October I will be able to afford a up grade to my computer to Windows 7I recently upgrade the video card to a Nvidia 465GTXI was wondering if the PMDG queen performs well with Windows 7and if my memory needs an upgrade alsocurrently i have aGateway FX530S Windows XP Intel Core 2 Quad Processor q6600 3.0GHz, 1066mhz FSB 8MB cache 2048MB 667Mhz Duel Channel DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA Geforce GTX 465 thanksIan Snow

Get Windows 7 64bit - fsx runs better under it really and if your motherboard can take it upgrade the memory to 4 Gb (double what you have now). If it won't take it then the upgrade probably isn't worth the effort.You'll also need to download the DX9 runtimes and the C++ libraries and the UIanimationcore.dll. Lastly have a dig around the Textures thread on this forum for the ******* solution.John Ellison

Guest wims

I'd think the performance difference would be very close to 0% when you compare WXP and W7

It is very hard to see if FSX performs better on w7 vs xp, but I can attest to the fact that w7 boots, shuts down, and operates much more quicker and efficiently than XP or vista. I made the move to w7 64 from XP64 and wish I had done it sooner!!Once you get used to the new interface and ways to go about doing things, I find w7 makes it so much easier to do things vs XP.

I would upgrade your RAM to 4GB if you can - FSX really needs 4GB to perform optimally.Also, how recently did you get the GTX465? If you're still in the return period, take it back and get a GTX460 1GB instead. Even though the number is lower, the 460 is the better card (based on a newer version of the GF100 chip) and it's cheaper than the 465 too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

thanks for you help I am planning on the 19th of Oct to do the upgrade to the 64 bit Win7also I am going to upgrade the Ram Ian Snow

Get Windows 7 64bit - fsx runs better under it really and if your motherboard can take it upgrade the memory to 4 Gb (double what you have now). If it won't take it then the upgrade probably isn't worth the effort.
Definatley install the 64 bit version however, unless you are getting the OEM version the retail version comes with a 32 bit disc and 64 bit!

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I would upgrade your RAM to 4GB if you can - FSX really needs 4GB to perform optimally.Also, how recently did you get the GTX465? If you're still in the return period, take it back and get a GTX460 1GB instead. Even though the number is lower, the 460 is the better card (based on a newer version of the GF100 chip) and it's cheaper than the 465 too.
Ryan, I was thinking of starting a new thread on this topic, but are the 400 series cards really worth it? I have a 260 I use now, and thought about upgrading, but 1) don't know if I'll get any visual benefits, and 2) what kind of out of the box driver issues can I expect? Have they fixed the main one everyone was complaining about? It appears so, but there is also some contradictory information out there.

Hi Doug, Personally if all your thinking of doing is FSX then no, it may not be worth it and you will most likely not see much if any improvement over the 260. However, if you like to dabble in newer release games then having the extra muscle power and DX11 backing is pretty nice. If someone were to be buying their 1st card and deciding between the two, then yes, I would say a 400 series card since they are much cheaper than the 200 series were.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

There's two main things a 400 series card is going to let you do:1. Play other games besides FS well. There's several games that have come out recently that will choke on older cards - Metro 2033 being one for sure, I have it here and it's a slideshow on my 260. Waiting to upgrade before I play it.2. You're much more likely to be stable using *******'s UsePools=0 tweak and related things with a 400 series card because it's so much more powerful in the shader processor department than the 260 is.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com