Sign in to follow this  
Guest OneTinSoldier

How rare is that?

Guest tanglefoot

So the mighty Microsoft itself has reboxed FS9 with a rebate for half-price. It's only March here in the states. No, it's not uncommon for MS to rebate "some" of its wares, but this is rare on a few fronts in my book.I have a theory that I'll share once I get my fire gear on.In the meanstead, and thanks in part to inflation, a nickel for your thoughts.-don't forget kids; despite everything, we're all on the same team here, a bunch of sim nutters-

Don't put on the asbestos yet! When MS released FS2004 in a tin box, I believe that they stated that the tin box would only be available for a limited time, so the reboxing was expected. As for the discount, they've always done that (as least as far as I recall). Once a version's been out for a while, they discount it. So again that's not unexpected. I certainly don't regret buying it early and paying full price. I would not want to have missed out on all the fun I've had with FS9 since it came out. Besides, the tin box is very cool!

Guest cw1011

This is the standard game pricing model. A quick stroll around your local Comp USA will show games that last year were $49.99 have now dropped into the $29.99 range (Rise of Nations being a good example). Interesting to note COF is still in the top three or four of game sales according to the tracking on Gamespy.

Guest tanglefoot

I'm really surprised that so few have commented. Deceased and well flogged horse I suppose.Agreed Ken, the "tin box" is cool. hehe!However, -"As for the discount, they've always done that (as least as far as I recall)."- they who? Microsoft?!? Stay cool now, but I wonder if you happen to know the price of MS2002? It is, of course, no longer available from the manufacturer (though still find-able), so perhaps it is even unfairly mentioned here. Let us say that I do so not as refutation of your point but as information and adjunct to my original, uh, observation :)Look if you like, but I'll also save you time if you like; buy.com has MS2002 std for 19.99 and pro for 23.99. Just some nuggets for the noodle neh?CW, I will not dare to speculate on the motivation for that supposed MLK tag on your message. Allow me to simply suggest that you take far greater care in not only how you quote someone, but also why.My original motivation for this post, come to think of it, was convoluted and that is, unfortunately, quite evident. Given this latest turn of events -the rebate- I wanted to hear more of the ongoing argument to help me leap or not. I just couldn't figure a way to couch it that wouldn't devolve into "I HATE YOU, YOUR MOTHER AND THE HORSE THAT RODE IN ON HER". So, like in the, er, old west, I shot from the hip. I must also confess (as if it isn't obvious) that the rebate -which is "very" early for any prestigious Microsoft title- suggested to me that I shouldn't leap at this time and that 2006 or beyond might be a better time. That was my motive and my expectation. How silly and grandiose.

Guest OneTinSoldier

HI,Whether or not you leap might depend on how big a parachute you got. If $30 or so dollars to get FS2004 isn't too big a deal for you then go ahead and go for it. If on the other hand you are thinking that maybe you are going to spend a lot more on FS2004 addons and such then you might need a bigger parachute, because good things do come to those who wait. Of course, you have to consider what you'll be missing out on whilst you wait. FS2004 is a remarkable sim. I consider it to be a whole new version over the(now old) FS2002. But some people just consider it to be an upgrade of sorts as really a lot of it is just 'updated' so to speak from FS2002. I have seen some material I read somewhere on the 'net that said MSFS is becoming endangered of being called the 'Patched Flight Simulator'. So I know some would disagree with me about it being a whole new version. Could be said that some updated material in FS2004 is subtle and other updates/additions not so subtle. Some things are totally new, such as the clickable Virtual Cockpits, so that you never have to leave the VC. Anyway, I personally consider FS2004 to have enough new and updated stuff to be considered a new version, although perhaps just enough.Anyway, what I'm mostly trying to get at is that I'm not going to try and suggest that you wait, or make the leap, as I'm not sure what argument there is to make on the matter. How could one know whether you should wait without a judgement to base on FS2006 which isn't here yet? I could perhaps answer specific questions you might have in the way of does FS2004 have this or have that(?) which might help you make a decision one way or the other. Anyway, just like you, I do not personally know what MS's motivation is at offering a half-off rebate and could only grasp at straws as to what the motivation is. Perhaps they made a ton of on it money at it's full price and feel the rest is now gravy and offering a half off rebate would rejuvenate sales, and threrefor cause the gravy train to roll a little faster. Who knows? Someone I'm sure but not me. At $25 to $30 I would say that FS2004 is an excellent value. But of course, good things come to those who wait. You just have to consider that you'll be missing out on a good thing that is here now whilst you wait.Regards,Jim