Sign in to follow this  
Naji

How do I get a solid overcast in COF?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello.I was wondering how to go about getting a SOLID overcast of the clouds when on top of them, without killing the frame rates?When I lower the visibility for IFR approaches, the clouds seem to be overcast when flying through them and within them. However, when the aircraft gets on top of the cloud layer and above the visibility layer, I can see the ground and the clouds appear scattered.I have my cloud settings at 100% density, but cloud coverage at low to keep the frame rates in check. Are there any tricks to get the overcast layers to be truly overcats, like they are in FS2002?The weather theme's seem to simulate overcast layers sometimes. But I think that the visibility settings are still a factor. I want to be able to fly on-top of a cloud layer with good visibility at that altitude, but lousy down in the "muck" og the clouds.FS2002 does a good job of simulating this, is it possible with FS2004's weather engine also?Thanks for any input.Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.

Hi.There is no real good way, but you can try to get your Cloud layer and lower Vis at the same level, i.e. Clouds, density Max, 3000 to 10000, and se Vis. to 1/16 at the same level. TV

Wait till Chris Willis releases the new version of FS Skyworld as well as version 2 of Activesky. Those two combined will be unbeatable.

Eric 

Hi, Now there will be a major change for weather in fs2004:Damian Clark has has recently acquired Simulation Widgets' product line, Weather Center 2 Keith Kile, Developer and Founder of Simulation Widgets, will be providing support to HiFi in order to assist with the transition and to advise on future development of his core technologies. All Best feature from both in one.I will add my works with them, TRIO :-)ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I sacrifice other display settings to be able to set the weather sliders at maximum, even 100% 3D Clouds, and Maximum Cloud Coverage. To fly with such weather settings, I have to reduce the resolution to 1152x864x32 and I have to put AA off, both in the sim and in the driver. AF is only at 2x in the driver. This way I have good fps (18-25) in all types of weather. Now to answer your question, with these settings I can now get what I think is full overcast or undercast in heavy weathers. Keep in mind that putting Cloud Coverage on Maximum can be a killer if the machine is not fast and if you don't sacrifice other settings. So I think that this is the slider that gives you what you want. Experiment with it, maybe I'm wrong!My machine: 3.06Ghz, 1024MB, ati 9800 pro 128MB.