Sign in to follow this  
DeCaf

Soft mute and key mapping woes...

First of all I want to thank you for a great product.There is however one problem I've been having with it, (as I've also kind of had with other versions of the non-voice controlled FS2Crew), namely the poor keyboard/joystick mapping functionality.When flying online (on either IVAO or VATSIM) you frequently talk to online ATC, and the need to connect the soft-mute functionality to the same button as Push-to-talk in FSInn or TeamSpeak arises.However the choices for what buttons you are actually able to map is very limited for some reason. And even worse, in this version I was not successful in getting a joystick button to work at all, nor the backspace key. Only key that worked for soft-mute for me is left ctrl, and I really don't want to use that as my push-to-talk, since it would affect any other keypresses I make while takling to ATC.What I don't understand is why you don't provide an interface for selecting the button consisting of actually pressing the joystick button or keyboard key you want to assign, much like the normal key assignments in FSX work, or every other addon I've used pretty much, including LDS767/FSUIPC/PMDG747 etc, allowing you to use any button or key supported by FSX (which means pretty much any button or key there is). This would really be beneficial, at least to me in being able to keep my current setup of keys and joystick buttons that I've gotten used to and integrating that with FS2Crew, because as it stands now I cannot use the voice controlled version when flying online, which is basically all I do. (Unless using the mouse to toggle hard-mute whenever I need to interact with my F/O which kind of takes away the benefits of the voice control.My setup is a Windows 7 x64 machine, running FSX SP2 with a Saitek X52 Pro joystick. I would really like to at least get the joystick button to function as a soft mute. As an alternative, a push-to-talk button (kind of the opposite of soft mute) would work too.(I just bought and downloaded FS2Crew today, so I'm guessing I have the latest 1.2 version, don't know where I can see which version I'm using?)Any help would be greatly appreciated!Otherwise, again, thanks for a great product that greatly adds to the flight simulation experience.Sincerely, Peter.

Peter Palotas

Peter,Had a similar problem. I have Win 7/64 and FSX SP2 and I am using Squawkbox on a networked computer.The answer is a little programme called Joker - download here:https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/danorris/www/joker/If you need any other details, do a search of this forum - that's where I found a thread discussing the PTT/soft mute problemGood LuckJohn Rooum

same for me. the only key that seems to work is the Lcontrol. It would have been better if it was made like the maddog version where it would soft mute when you selected and transmitted on a voice channel on vatsim.

same for me. the only key that seems to work is the Lcontrol. It would have been better if it was made like the maddog version where it would soft mute when you selected and transmitted on a voice channel on vatsim.
Peter and Bryan,As an temp solution, please try that Joker program or use FSUIPC.I use a Saitek Aviator joystick, and all the keys work for me. I tested each one personally.However, I've found that with some of the more 'sophisticated' joysticks it doesn't read the joystick button presses well for some reason.I'm currently thinking of a way to tie Soft Mute to an FSX/FS9 keyboard assignment... that'll make things much easier... but I'm not sure if that'll be possible with a 'push and hold' type button. We'll soon find out.Best,

I dont have this problem at all. I have the mute key for FS2Crew set to Num -, and have FSUIPC set to use Num - as the PTK button and send that command via WideFS to SB4 running on my laptop. I then use the Saitek Profile editor to make Key C execute Num -, and now I can press either that key on my joystick or the numpad and get FS2Crew to mute and open the channel for VATSIM. And I have gotten into the habit of leaving the FS2Crew main panel open and it always confirms those butotn presses do indeed mute FS2Crew.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I dont have this problem at all. I have the mute key for FS2Crew set to Num -, and have FSUIPC set to use Num - as the PTK button and send that command via WideFS to SB4 running on my laptop. I then use the Saitek Profile editor to make Key C execute Num -, and now I can press either that key on my joystick or the numpad and get FS2Crew to mute and open the channel for VATSIM. And I have gotten into the habit of leaving the FS2Crew main panel open and it always confirms those butotn presses do indeed mute FS2Crew.
Scott,Thanks for the sharing that info.Cheers,

Hello Gents,I also have problem with aasigning the button for soft mute. More over, I can't assign neither Left Controll nor any other button on my keyboard for that function. I'd kile to try Joker, but could someone explain in details (step-by-step) PLEASE how to solve this issue with the help of Joker? Unfortunately I couldn't understand that from the brief product's manual.Thank you in advance,Vladimir

Hello Gents,I also have problem with assigning the button for soft mute. The only button that works for me is LeftControl. I'd kile to try Joker, but could someone explain in details (step-by-step) PLEASE how to solve this issue with the help of Joker? Unfortunately I couldn't understand that from the brief product's manual.Or how to connect my yoke button used for PTT and LControl keyboard button used for soft mute via FSUIPC?Thank you in advance,Vladimir

Hello Gents,I also have problem with assigning the button for soft mute. The only button that works for me is LeftControl. I'd kile to try Joker, but could someone explain in details (step-by-step) PLEASE how to solve this issue with the help of Joker? Unfortunately I couldn't understand that from the brief product's manual.Or how to connect my yoke button used for PTT and LControl keyboard button used for soft mute via FSUIPC?Thank you in advance,Vladimir
I've never personally used Joker, so I can't comment.Why not just use FSUIPC... stick with Left Control and assign a joystick button to Left Control via FSUIPC.Cheers,

Hi Guys,

For some of you who are desesperately looking for the "Joker" program (link seems dead), here is an other small program which, I think, do the same thing

http://www-en.jtksoft.net/home

Work perfectly to assign my Joystick button to TAB key for muting in FSCrew, and the same joystick button is also used to send through FSUIPC to WideFS a command to activate the Push to Talk in TeamSpeak on a remote PC.

I hope this can help you :-)

Enjoy..

Patrick

Why not just use FSUIPC... stick with Left Control and assign a joystick button to Left Control via FSUIPC.

Thanks for the clue!

L-Control indeed seems to be the only non-useful for simulator key which we are allowed to choose from Config Manager drop-down list.  But the issue is that FSUIPC won't allow you easily to input key modifiers like Shift, Alt and Control keys through its UI dialog window. So here we have to modify its INI file manually (and reload aircraft).

Assuming that your joy # is 0 (zero) you'd like to have a line like this in the Buttons section:

[Buttons.Level D Simulations B767-300ER]
0=H0,9,K17,10

PS. And btw I'm sort of curious where exactly does FS2Crew stores configured SoftMute key value? =)