Sign in to follow this  
bobbyjoh

Why should I purchase the 737 by PMDG?

I was looking at the 737 PMDG and wondering if it is really worth the $40 it is advertised as. I have seen the screenshots and figure it would look great in FS9, but I am really not willing to part with $40. FS9 cost me almost $60 and it came with a lot of new great looking aircraft, scenery for the entire world, wonderful ATC, etc. Why should one aircraft cost 3/4 the cost of the game it was meant to go into? I am basically taking a personal poll to see if this 737 is really worth the sticker price, or if it is just another high priced plane that would not satisfy the pickiest of simmers. I am not slamming this addon at all. It looks beautiful. I do believe that people should sell their wares for flight sim. I am just trying to decide for myself if it is worth the money.Thank you for your comments, I am looking forward to hearing what others think of this addon.

I wouldn't unless you like a work in progress, headache creator... Just my opinion ;-)

I agree. One should always wait for a product that reached certain maturity or at least there are no known significant issues with it ...yellow5 - as to your point of one airplane costing almost what the whole FS does I disagree. Such airplanes have much smaller market and are done with meticulous detail and effort (at least that's the objective) so it is understandable thay have to cost at least that much. Like with everything else in life a "pro" version of the same thing is bound to cost multiple of what its "popular" version costs. By the way if what you are after is how aircraft "looks" then don't bother with some of these high-end add-ons since the price you are paying is mostly for the realistic panel functionality (and you don't get it with default Microsoft aircraft).Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest Toni Rauch

I disagree. I think the PMDG is an excellent piece of software and worth every penny. The planes fly beautifully, look terrific, and have a truly deep 'reality factor' when it comes to operating the cockpit of this aircraft.Sure there are a few bugs which are as near as damn-it already fixed. But that's hardly surprising, given the complexity of the systems simulated to authentically fly this bird, and none of them are bad enough to 'ground the planes'. (There are 'bugs' in FS9 too.....)That said, if you're not into serious avionics or don't have a head for learning some of the more complex aspects of modern 737 operations, this one may not be for you.Toni.

Guest Henri W

I do own the PMDG 737NG and all I can say is that it is an incredibly detailed and wonderful airplane. Even though there are still some small (in my opinion) issues to be fixed (e.g. VNAV problems), I do not regret to have bought it already. For me it is hard to understand the whining of some people when I see that so much has been correctly implemented in this plane. For one thing, I like the flight model very much. It definitely is a joy to fly. Needless to say that systems modeling is extremely detailed. You better study the manual before jumping onboard.Also I now from experience that the support of PMDG is first class. I am convinced that the remaining issues will be solved very soon.Just my 2 cents.Best regards,Henri

wow... great link. That discussion alone convinced me beyond all doubt that this is a must have product- period. Just the fact that it is being compared to the king of all addons (PIC) should tell you about the depth of this product.I can not remember any other single addon that was even worthy of comparison on the PIC forum much less a well debated one like the one I just read.Thanks for making me a new customer :-)

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I was on the PIC beta test team, and that thread was great.I too have the PDMG 737 flying in FS9. It is a wonderful piece of software development. To compare its cost to FS9 is an apple and oranges discussion.However I agree, if you are just a casual simmer and not into very complex operations, it is NOT worth the money.On the other hand if you love really close as it can be realism, and a plane that is the SAME league as the PIC767 which I love, than this is it.I don't know where some people come from on their comments, unless they have a particular "hard on" for the PMDG team.IMHO the PMDG is in 2003, state of the art simulation design.BRAVO to the PMDG team.Bob