Sign in to follow this  
Guest xclavex

How do you add autopilot to planes that don't come with it?

Guest xclavex

I'd like to add autopilot, GPS, Radio, and the default 737 shift 1 console that displays the alititude/speed/course etc for other planes that don't have these options (mostly freeware). How do I do this? I know it has something to do with the panel.cfg and maybe the aircraft.cfg, but I have no idea what to change in them both.

I'd like to add autopilot, GPS, Radio, and the default 737 shift 1 console that displays the alititude/speed/course etc for other planes that don't have these options (mostly freeware). How do I do this? I know it has something to do with the panel.cfg and maybe the aircraft.cfg, but I have no idea what to change in them both.
In the aircraft.cfg file, you have to set autopilot=1 for the autopilot to work.Now you can use key combinations like Z and ctrl-Z for altitude hold etcTo add an autopilot you can see and click on, you have to modify the panel.cfg file.Either add a new window with the auopilot in it, or change the main panel to show the autopilot. Have a look at the C172 and the panel.cfg file (in the panel folder).It has a Window01 with the radio stack in it... this includes an autopilot.You could start by copying this Window to your airplane, give it a new number (and addthe Window definition to the the top) and now you can access this window from the Views menuor via shift-n where n is the Window number + 1.

Bert

Guest xclavex
In the aircraft.cfg file, you have to set autopilot=1 for the autopilot to work.Now you can use key combinations like Z and ctrl-Z for altitude hold etcTo add an autopilot you can see and click on, you have to modify the panel.cfg file.Either add a new window with the auopilot in it, or change the main panel to show the autopilot. Have a look at the C172 and the panel.cfg file (in the panel folder).It has a Window01 with the radio stack in it... this includes an autopilot.You could start by copying this Window to your airplane, give it a new number (and addthe Window definition to the the top) and now you can access this window from the Views menuor via shift-n where n is the Window number + 1.
I tried that, and while I got the windows to show, the auto throttle wouldn't work. I set the autothrottle to 1 in the aircraft.cfg and I even made it so auto-throttle arming is required....nada, didn't work. My key functions I want to enable are;Full functioning auto-pilot (this means Altitude Climb and hold, Speed/Mach hold, GPS, and ILS functionality)I don't really care what the default panel looks like, I could use the 737 (for twin engine) or 747 (for quad) panel for all, but just copying them and pasting them works for some planes, but not all. Some it will work for, but then it messes up the graphics (like when I turn lights on for an f-16, the afterburners "ignite"...even though my throttle is at idle).

Bert,Let me ask you a question. Is is possible to put the FSX default GPS into one of the more sophisticated payware addon airliners that employ an FMS system for navigation? There are times I'd like the choice for navigation. Often, I'll like a payware plane, but I don't want to use an FMS system instead of the regular GPS and autopilot.Thanks in advance, Stan

I tried that, and while I got the windows to show, the auto throttle wouldn't work. I set the autothrottle to 1 in the aircraft.cfg and I even made it so auto-throttle arming is required....nada, didn't work. My key functions I want to enable are;Full functioning auto-pilot (this means Altitude Climb and hold, Speed/Mach hold, GPS, and ILS functionality)I don't really care what the default panel looks like, I could use the 737 (for twin engine) or 747 (for quad) panel for all, but just copying them and pasting them works for some planes, but not all. Some it will work for, but then it messes up the graphics (like when I turn lights on for an f-16, the afterburners "ignite"...even though my throttle is at idle).
If you make autothrottle arming required and don't have an autothrottle arming switch to enable it I don't think it will work. I also edit the autopilot (317) and speed switch settings (329) in the .air file for my FS9 converted planes. I don't think you need to do this for the FSX native planes as these settings are not in the air file. Bob.

Bert,Let me ask you a question. Is is possible to put the FSX default GPS into one of the more sophisticated payware addon airliners that employ an FMS system for navigation? There are times I'd like the choice for navigation. Often, I'll like a payware plane, but I don't want to use an FMS system instead of the regular GPS and autopilot.Thanks in advance, Stan
Stan, I do not know what airliner autopilots will accept as steering inputs..The FSX default autopilot can accept either a VOR1 signal or a GPS signal when in NAV mode,but it would not surprise me if the 737 autopilot did not recognize a GPS course.Especially the payware airliners have custom autopilots that are heavily integrated with the FMS,so I doubt it. I was chatting with an ex NorthWest Airlines pilot recently, who told me that hewould carry a Garmin handheld GPS in the cockpit and enter the course by hand into the autopilot in HDGmode, based on what the GPS showed him... admittedly against all regulations, but in places more reliable than land based nav-aids. :(

Bert

Stan, I do not know what airliner autopilots will accept as steering inputs..The FSX default autopilot can accept either a VOR1 signal or a GPS signal when in NAV mode,but it would not surprise me if the 737 autopilot did not recognize a GPS course.Especially the payware airliners have custom autopilots that are heavily integrated with the FMS,so I doubt it. I was chatting with an ex NorthWest Airlines pilot recently, who told me that hewould carry a Garmin handheld GPS in the cockpit and enter the course by hand into the autopilot in HDGmode, based on what the GPS showed him... admittedly against all regulations, but in places more reliable than land based nav-aids. :(
Bert. Thanks. I guess I mean the GPS gauge simply accepting the NAV mode. I rarely fly the GPS bearing unless there is no choice, or if I'm already lined up for a convenient GPS runway on a clear day. I use the default GPS gauge to a "direct to" path and click on the NAV or Ctrl N. Looks like it can be added when using it that way.Stan

Bert. Thanks. I guess I mean the GPS gauge simply accepting the NAV mode. I rarely fly the GPS bearing unless there is no choice, or if I'm already lined up for a convenient GPS runway on a clear day. I use the default GPS gauge to a "direct to" path and click on the NAV or Ctrl N. Looks like it can be added when using it that way.Stan
Not sure I agree... it is the autopilot that steers the plane. In NAV mode, it accepts an input from someunit that can give it a direction. So it is not the GPS gauge accepting.. but rather the GPS gauge providing aninput. Question is: Will the autopilot in your plane accept an input from the GPS unit.. and in an airlinerwith a custom autopilot, I would guess the answer is: No.

Bert

I add the default GPS from the 172 to planes that dont have one, just for added SA. In all cases it will display the flight plan, but you can only use it as a guide, you have to use heading mode on the AP's to actually track the line on the GPS.

Jay

Guest xclavex

I managed to get it working on "some" planes using the 737 control panel by modifying both the panel.cfg's and the aircraft.cfgs. I had to be careful in the panel.cfgs though, otherwise I'd lose the virtual cockpit, but I was able to get it working by simply deleting all the "window=x" information and replacing it with the window information from the 737 panel.cfg, and then copying the panel files from 737 over to the aircraft I wished to modify (but not to copy the panel.cfg over!) I took care not to touch the v-cockpit settings though. This works for "some" planes, but there are a few that either get graphical issues when you change the panel (weird issues like when you turn the lights on the afterburners turn on, which looks rather silly), or the auto throttle does not work no matter what you try (mach or ias), or the throttle jumps all the way to 100% and get stuck there, refusing to throttle back even under manual control. It's pretty much hit or miss with the aircraft I guess.