Sign in to follow this  
Guest An225

Best Environment addons?

Guest An225

I was wondering,instead of wasting my time trying things out,deleting,and then blocking up my hardrive,what are the best environmental addonsFor fs2004?Appart from Real environment Xtreme.I have bought ultimate night environment pro.(If that is a waste of money tell me) but what other environment enhancers are there?I have heard of AES(Airport enhancement services),Zinertek world environment,fsexcel,flight environment,genx and so on.What would you guys suggest?

I was wondering,instead of wasting my time trying things out,deleting,and then blocking up my hardrive,what are the best environmental addonsFor fs2004?Appart from Real environment Xtreme.I have bought ultimate night environment pro.(If that is a waste of money tell me) but what other environment enhancers are there?I have heard of AES(Airport enhancement services),Zinertek world environment,fsexcel,flight environment,genx and so on.What would you guys suggest?
Hi!AES will only work with compatible airport addons, so unless you own a whole lot of addon airports that are supported (see this list) it may not be worth getting AES yet. It is however amazing and I highly reccommend it to anyone who does own a few supported airports.As far as global stuff goes, which I think it what you're after, have a look at these:Ground Environment Professional (Flight1) - New ground textures worldwide, very cool. First thing I install.ActiveSky - great weather engine.Zinertek have a few great addons too, although I only use their waterREX is good, but I use very low resolution clouds to improve performance and therefore I'm not going to spend all that money just to have a different colour sky. There are many free addons for this anyway, and also, Activesky as mentioned above will do this too. The Activesky weather engine is, according to what I've read, better than REX anyway.I'd go for Ground Environment Pro first. And ActiveSky.

There's a number of popular payware options you can try.For FS9 general environment upgrade there's also these incredible freeware files (available from the AVSIM Library):1. For unbelievably good sky and clouds (better than any payware alternative):HDE - High Definition Environment, v2.0Download ID: 146315Filename: hdev2.zipLicense: FreewareAdded: 9th April 2010Downloads: 14539Author: Pablo DiazSize: 24180kb2. Default ground textures update.I've been very happy with the following texture update packs:realcitiesrealcliffsrealdesertrealforestsrealmeadowsrealroadsrealtrainsfrom these files:RealityPack 1.2: Comprehensive Enhancement Package - Part 1Download ID: 80524Filename: realitypack1.2_part1.zipLicense: Freeware, limited distributionAdded: 29th January 2006Downloads: 92443Author: Sascha RiegerSize: 23208kb+RealityPack 1.2: Comprehensive Enhancement Package - Part 2Download ID: 80525Filename: realitypack1.2_part2.zipLicense: Freeware, limited distributionAdded: 29th January 2006Downloads: 78003Author: Sascha RiegerSize: 11061kband3. Water - Vilk's Water (Vater.ZIP):http://www.fs-freeflow.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=100Combined with numerous additional add-on scenery, meshes and landclass files for the different areas I tend to fly in - the results are remarkable.If you're going to try any of these make sure to first back up all your default textures.

Guest An225

Thanks for that.I will check ground environment out.

Guest An225

Ground environment has night textures,but will that interfere with ultimate night environment?

Guest An225

Thanks with the freeware addon suggestions!I should definatley check them out.Thankyou so much!Big%20Grin.gif

I agree with all the advice here. I would definitely go ahead and download AES - it doesn't cost anything to use, only if you buy "credits" for certain add-on sceneries. But there are a number of EXCELLENT freeware sceneries that are free to use with AES so you can get a really good idea of what it can do without it costing you a penny. Download and install it and run the airport list to see what freeware sceneries it supports that do not require any "credits." If you don't have those airports, get them and install them. Oliver Pabst, the developer of AES only chooses the very best freeware sceneries so it's a great guide to "the best of the best." Once you've tried it, you'll be hooked. It is a great enhancement that really deepens the immersion factor.One other add-on I personally would recommend that is not a scenery or such, but for me has added a great new dimension to the "feel" of FS9 is HeliTraffic available at Flight1. It's a great little module that gives you very realistic AI helicopters. I love it - it really does add something totally new to the sim in terms of "ambience."

Ground environment has night textures,but will that interfere with ultimate night environment?
Simply install GE first, then Night Environment, which will then overwrite the GE night textures but leave the daytime ones in place.Another brilliant freeware scenery package is (was) VOZ, which does the whole of Australia stunningly, and I really mean stunningly. It has been superceded by the FSX version but you can still download it here:http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2530-voz-downloads-fs9-voz-18-complete/I've never been to Australia but "fly" there often because of VOZ.
Oliver Pabst, the developer of AES only chooses the very best freeware sceneries so it's a great guide to "the best of the best."
Excellent point....

Hi,REX FS2004 and GE Pro 2 I agree on. I have them both, and they supplement each other pretty well in each their area.However, be careful GEP and Windows 7 compatibility issues. I run my system on Windows 7 64 bit, and after a Windows Defender update some months ago, I can no longer open GEP and change things. The textures that I once installed before this are still there, and look very good. But I may never again be able to change them.The Flight 1 support team could not come up with a solution.Best Regards,Anders

Hi,REX FS2004 and GE Pro 2 I agree on. I have them both, and they supplement each other pretty well in each their area.However, be careful GEP and Windows 7 compatibility issues. I run my system on Windows 7 64 bit, and after a Windows Defender update some months ago, I can no longer open GEP and change things. The textures that I once installed before this are still there, and look very good. But I may never again be able to change them.The Flight 1 support team could not come up with a solution.Best Regards,Anders
Wow - thanks for this tip. I am planning on buying a new computer next month and have been wondering whether to go with Windows 7 or stick with XP. I've heard other people speak of compatibility problems with Windows 7 and various FS9 addons so this may make my mind up for me, as I intend to stick with FS9 until FS11 comes out. (Maybe even longer if it is as messed up as FSX was when they released it!)

Id say go with GEpro and active sky. I am a win 7 64 bit user, I run GEPro, active sky, PMDG 737, level D 767, PMDG 747, Flight 1 ATR and the super 80, aeroworx king air without any hiccups, Just saying that it isnt all doom and gloom when win 7 and fs9 collide.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Id say go with GEpro and active sky. I am a win 7 64 bit user, I run GEPro, active sky, PMDG 737, level D 767, PMDG 747, Flight 1 ATR and the super 80, aeroworx king air without any hiccups, Just saying that it isnt all doom and gloom when win 7 and fs9 collide.
Well, if I go with Windows 7 and have problems, it sounds like you're the guy I'll be asking for help :( Totally agree with GEPro and Active Sky. Makes FS9 a whole new product

"One other add-on I personally would recommend that is not a scenery or such, but for me has added a great new dimension to the "feel" of FS9 is HeliTraffic available at Flight1. It's a great little module that gives you very realistic AI helicopters. I love it - it really does add something totally new to the sim in terms of "ambience."
I smiled when I read your post above. It just goes to show you how differant all of us are. The reason I say this is that I concider the above program, HeliTraffic one of the biggest waste of money I've spent for FS2004 in a long time. I installed it, watched the helos once and have never used it again. :( I like one thing and you like another. jerrycwo4

For me, Pablo Diaz´s HDE v2.0 must be the best environmental improval to my simulator in the last year. Gorgeous and...free.

Iñigo Bildarratz