Sign in to follow this  

AN124 ---> AN225?

Guest rmce

Eagle,Recently been in Krakow,Poland. Real World, going back in a month. When taxiing to teminal about 9 Antonovs are sitting on apron. rmce

Guest _ak

Guys, what do you think about using An-225 as extremely large biz-jet? :-lol

Also,in reply to the "ineficency" of the russian designs. I respect many russian aircraft because they make it work even though they don't have the latest wiz bang technology.many times the USSR wanted to use western technology in an aircraft design but the US wouldn't sell them that item so they had to make due. Many times this was a national security issue and I understand that. At one time they wanted a FADEC system from a US manufacturer for the TU-144's engines to help with the fuel consumtion (the real reason it wasn't sucsessful. The TU-144 had the same problems as the concorde, hight fuel use combined with few passengers carried per flight, but with the Soviet economy it didn't make sense money wise) but the US wouldn't sell it because the Backfire used the same engines and it then would be able to extend the range and violate the START treaties.The New models of the IL-96 Airliner have a nice Honeywell Glass cockpit and GE CFM engines. give it a few years and it may be a competitor for the A340-200.Many western companies wanted heavy lift aircraft but none were available because the US wouldn't let Lockheed sell em C-5's or 141's. Soooo who steps in to fill the gap??? Antonov. No biggie to me I like the 124 and 225 and I'm glad they are using em to haul stuff no one else can. Maybe someone at Boeing will realize that and sell some C-17's to civilian freight companies. if they can sell a bunch the taxpayers here in the US might benefit as the price per unit on military C-17's will go down too since they will be building moreof the same parts.Brian

Guest bjornkeizers

>AN225 can carry big loads but if you take its max weight,>useful load, fuel consumption, maintenance costs, etc - it is>a very inefficient and poorly designed/executed aircraft. Dude, it's *cargo aircraft* designed to haul *special loads* We're not talking feul efficient passenger aircraft.. this is one case where things like efficiency, fuel consumption or maintenance costs don't mean a single thing. If you need it moved, you won't care - just that you can move it.

Guest bjornkeizers

>You clearly have no clue about the former Soviet Union Empire>and the Eastern block, do you ?. (...)>You don't even have my friend a concept for example what>"propaganda" word means. (...) But I am afraid you are just>another gullible (my favorite word "egg-headed") westerner>like Madam Roosvelt who toured Soviet gulags and admired>living conditions while 50 feet away people were starving to>death.I'm only going to say this once: Politics hardly have any place here. so GET BACK ON THE DAMN TOPIC!!!!!! This a *FLIGHT SIMULATOR FORUM* if you want to debate Russian cold war politics, I suggest you take it somewhere else.

Guest crashing_pilot

ow...but that's great to hear...it was the good ole US gouvernment protecting their secrets(as i would've done to ofcourse) who in a sense prevented the russians from becoming as "technologically refined" as we supposedly are....and not only that,but in return the good old USA decided NOT to sell big fuel guzzling monsters like the C5 and C141(no they're not fuel efficient...how could they be?) to the freight contractors who wanted them....they left that niche for the Russians(who did VERY well i might add)....well aint that nice? ;-) ... and now we're all fighting,while those Russians and American's played us all along....how's THAT for "propaganda"?

Guest smoothlander247

I would just like 2 inform you that the An-225 was not originaly built for transporting things in its fuselage but 2 transport "Buran", the soviet space shuttle from the lacation it was built to the launch pad. Konrad