Sign in to follow this  
DaveS

FSFuel

Was just wondering if anyone has tried the new fuel planner Fsfuel. If so, is it accurate? I already have TOPCAT, but since it doesn't calculate accurate fuel I was looking into this.Thanks, David Schleck (KMKE)
I use vRoute to get fuel loads and it is quite good. Just looked up FSfuel and I have to say it looks impressive, but I am quite disappointed that it is run on a subscription basis, instead of just a one time deal, like vRoute.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I just did a one month unlimited on it. Right off the get go I can say i am not that impressed. You can't enter Direct into the routing. Well who doesn't do ANY part of a route these days with one segment being direct. I thought it might obtain the winds automatically for you according to route and time of flight but you have to enter it automatically. It will only assume you are in Longe Range Cruise on the FMS. It will not take into account any cost index. I never select LRC on the FMS. Entering a route looks like its a pain in the behind. But I DO like the concept of the program but it just needs work.Jack C

I just did a one month unlimited on it. Right off the get go I can say i am not that impressed. You can't enter Direct into the routing. Well who doesn't do ANY part of a route these days with one segment being direct. I thought it might obtain the winds automatically for you according to route and time of flight but you have to enter it automatically. It will only assume you are in Longe Range Cruise on the FMS. It will not take into account any cost index. I never select LRC on the FMS. Entering a route looks like its a pain in the behind. But I DO like the concept of the program but it just needs work.Jack C
That was what I was afraid of. And I really dont buy their excuse that they do the computing for us because it requires a monster machine.And I have done quite a bit of reading up on FMSs (mainly the 737s as a way to get off running when the NGX comes out) and I have seen on multiple occsions that LRC is quite a ridiculous option in terms of practicality and is rarely used in real world operations, with the prefernce far and away being a proper Cost Index. Something about it being focused only on engine performance and distance with no regard to winds and temps.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

That was what I was afraid of. And I really dont buy their excuse that they do the computing for us because it requires a monster machine.And I have done quite a bit of reading up on FMSs (mainly the 737s as a way to get off running when the NGX comes out) and I have seen on multiple occsions that LRC is quite a ridiculous option in terms of practicality and is rarely used in real world operations, with the prefernce far and away being a proper Cost Index. Something about it being focused only on engine performance and distance with no regard to winds and temps.
4 years on the NG now and haven't pushed the LRC button yet. I wonder what it does? heheJack C

Did a month unlimited on it too. I agree with your conclusions. Personally FSBuild works much better for me. As you say, nice concept but needs some work before it's actually useful, IMO.Tim