Sign in to follow this  
Dal 1

Help First CTD

HI All,I have what i believe is a very stable system that has been running fine for 12 months without any issues at all.I installed Nvidia Drivers 258.96 the other day and had my first crash this evening after 2 hours of stable flight. I Initially tried to re start the flight using auto save and it crashed within 5 seconds of the last autosave. Never had that before!I have rolled the nvidia drivers back and it is still crashing. There is no auto report after the crash .. How can i tell what the problem is so i can solve it please?I am running FSX with AccWindows 7 64bit - Latest updatesEset nod AVUltimate Traffic 2any help or even direction would be great. Are there any programs in Win 7 or free ware that i can run to diagnose the issue?cheersDaz

Use Event Viewer which is built into the OS to get the info on the crash.

HI Specs belowI have looked at event viewer and cant make head nor tail of it... No reference to FSX in their.Intel Core 2 Duo E8600Asus P5Q MoboNvidia Geoforce GTX 280 (drivers 257.21)OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory Windows 7 ProFSX & AccelarationVarious addons all of which have been installed for some time with no problemsUltimate Traffic 2I tried to start FSX earlier and before i even got off the select a flight page it crashed.thanks in advance for your help.Daz

Guest firehawk44
I have looked at event viewer and cant make head nor tail of it... No reference to FSX in their.Daz
The event viewer will not necessarily mention FSX but it could be referencing something else happening to your system that caused the fsx crash. Each event has a time and date of the "event" so, when fsx crashes, record the time and date then look in the event viewer for something closely related to that incident. You can get more details about the event viewer by clicking on the Start button and then help and support. Within help and support, type event viewer and you'll be able to get more info plus a link to your event viewer and all the errors. Since your crashes occurred right after installing new Nvidia display drivers, that is probably the problem. You may need to roll back your drivers to an earlier version as your version may not be compatible OR there was a problem with the installation. I always recommend one disable their anti-virus program whenever installing device drivers. Anti-virus programs were made to stop illegal changes to your system and your system registry. So a registry event may not have been properly recorded during the installation and subsequently you'll start getting crashes, especially when graphics become more intense.Another possible solution would be to delete or rename your FSX.cfg, restart FSX and let the config rebuild. If you rename the config to something like FSX.old and the rebuilt config doesn't fix things, you can always go back and rename the fsx.old config to fsx.cfg.There is no diagnostic program within Windows 7 or freeware available to diagnose your problem. The Event Viewer is probably the closest diagnostics as it will usually tell you what was happening during the event (crash).Best regards,Jim

99% of all my CTDs have been related to scenery file problems - missing or corrupt bgl and/or bmp files mostly. I have had dozens of CTD problems over the years (I have a huge amount of 3rd. party scenery installed) but have always found the culprit (though it sometimes takes some tracking down).I suggest you disable all addon scenery and then enable each one (starting with the ones geographically closest to where the CTD occurs - though on occasion I have found a file relating to China (for example) very mysteriously causes a CTD in Europe) until you find the folder that is causing the problem. Then move half the bgl files from that addon's scenery folder to a location outside FS9. If you get the CTD, the problem file is still there in the original folder - you need to do this by trial and error until you find the culprit - usually just one file.Often CTDs are caused by landclass files, so remove them first. Even a faulty AFCAD can cause a CTD - I had one just this week and I traced the problem to an AFCAD which had no black runway taxi link (as per AFCAD2). Putting this in and saving the AFCAD stopped the CTD..Event Viewer is unlikely to help because the error is rarely if ever a fault with the fs9/fsx.exe module itself.Hope this helps,Martin