Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

False weather in FSX ATIS dor destination airport

Approaching the destination, I'm sure we are all trying to determine what the active runway is likely to be from 70 or 80 miles out, at which point you are normally at cruise altitude.The ASE ATIS on 122.02 is giving one set of weather which sounds plausible (i.e. winds of a believable scale and sensible temperatures). This doesn't of course give the active runway.However, this often turns to be wrong, with FSX ATC giving vectors for the opposite runway direction.When I do get the FSX ATIS, I'm being given weather which is clearly at altitude rather than ground level - winds of 50+ knots and temperatures well into the sub zero range - usually of the order of minus 20 or 30 degrees.This isn't consistent with the actual FSX conditions on arrival.I am loading the flightplan and refreshing AI in ASE after loading my aircraft into FSX at the departure airport.What's going wrong here?

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,If DWC is On then please try with it Off.

It was on but if I switch it off, I immediately go back to the visibilty flashing between restricted and clear.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,Which could be because of that FSUIPC option in that other thread, so you are having a set of options that are fighting against each other.

That may be, I have to admit to fiddling around with settings trying to eliminate 4 problems and I may have got into a muddle:1) Fishtailing (smoothing wind in FSUIPC seems to cure this).2) Strange patches of apparently incorrect TAT, plus rapidly varying TAT at the boundaries of the various patches.3) Visibility flashing between unlimited and restricted as per the ASE settings (DWC & visibilty smoothing seems to eliminate this, plus, and I may be imagining it, always loading ASE AFTER FSX is already at the departure airport).4) Inconsistencies between ASE ATIS on 122.02 and FSX weather on arrival, sometimes with vectors to tailwind landings or conflict with AI traffic plus incorrect weather in FSX ATIS when tuned from 70 miles, with what's being given clearly being at altitude rather than on the ground (i.e. excessive winds and sub zero temperatures). I think most of these have affected others at various times so I'd be very happy to go right back to the defaults & start again if you can summarise brief bullet points here in one place the key solution(s)to each - or probably better still, put a sticky up at the head of the forum. The answers may well have already been given but it's not easy to find the authoritative and up-to-date opinion in quite a large volume of posting.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,Not clear what you are asking about. Now you have 3-4 issues and you would like suggestions for each one in one place?#1. I don't think anyone has ever posted about fishtailing and as you have posted, wind smoothing through FSUIPC helped there.2. Have DWC On.3. Have DWC and Visibility Smoothing On.4. With DWC on this can happen because FSX is now in weather Global Mode. All stations have the same weather conditions until you move to the next station. Then all the stations will have that station's data. The only fix is to turn Off DWC.

Fishtailing - aircraft - notably the more sophisticated offerings from the likes of Level-D and PMDG - which constantly wallow left & right about their track due to being blown off it by wind shifts at altitude. Maybe I used the wrong term but there are plenty of posts on that topic. I'm querying whether wind smoothing in FSUIPC is in fact the recommended solution. You are saying it is but that will potentially cause other conflicts with ASE.On the other points then, DWC and visibility smoothing have to be on for visibility restriction to work and this will inevitably result in incorrect information in FSX ATIS, as I understand what you've said, it's nothing I am doing wrong.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,Ah....fishtailing = S turns using 3rd party planes that are highly sensitive to wind turbulence. There is a document in your ASE folder called Readme with a writeup about this, with some suggestions for work-arounds. Yes, FSUIPC with wind smoothing is one of these suggestions.

Thanks - actually I had applied the fsx.cfg edit but thinking about it, I did a full cfg rebuild the other day after hitting some graphics problems. Those are sorted but I hadn't reinstated the turbulence mod, hence the fact that when I did an MD-11 flight for the first time for a while it was all over the place.Just on a point of order, I assume the Level-D and PMDG offerings are accurately sensitive rather than overly sensitive. The PMDG Jetstream is similarly accurate (I assume), but in a different way, in that it's sensitive to temperature, both in engine management, which has to maintain EGT within a narrow 10 degree margin from the max allowable and icing, which is I think a trait common to several turboprops - most infamously, the ATR.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,No, they are overly sensitive. In the real world a little bit of turbulence does not cause the plane the need to adjust as much as in FS.

I am amazed.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,Not clear what you are asking about. Now you have 3-4 issues and you would like suggestions for each one in one place?#1. I don't think anyone has ever posted about fishtailing and as you have posted, wind smoothing through FSUIPC helped there.2. Have DWC On.3. Have DWC and Visibility Smoothing On.4. With DWC on this can happen because FSX is now in weather Global Mode. All stations have the same weather conditions until you move to the next station. Then all the stations will have that station's data. The only fix is to turn Off DWC.
I've been struggling with this issue as well. Do I have it right that it's basically a choice between having the correct weather and/or assignment at the desitination (DWC off) or having smoothed winds and visibility (DWC on) on the way there?

Hi,Basically correct, but with DWC Off you can use a registered copy of FSUIPC to smooth your winds.

But if DWC is off, then Visibilty Smoothing is also off and I get popping between restricted and clear visibility.....

ngxu_banner.png

But if DWC is off, then Visibilty Smoothing is also off and I get popping between restricted and clear visibility.....
That is exactly the issue that is bothering me indeed! I would not mind setting DWC off since I have a registered version of FSUIPC, but that would mean losing the visibility smoothing option..

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld