Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

FSX Default Traffic won't go away?

Hello, I have read on about how fs9 traffic bgls (like WOAI) conflict with the FSX boat traffic, or any traffic bgls which are compiled for fsx. There is also the difference between fs9 and fsx traffic in the days of the week flights operate (0= Sunday or Monday depending on FS9 or FSX), so for those two reasons I had converted my 170 WOAI/MAIW/UltimateGA FS9 bgls to FSX compliant bgls. All is great, but I have a slight problem....the default FSX "fantasy" airlines (ORBIT,WORLD TRAVEL,ETC.) are now visible! This makes sense because they were inhibited from being viewed before because they are FSX bgls which the WOAI FS9 bgls suppressed. But the kicker here is that UT2 (which I mainly use for AI traffic, with those old fs9 style traffic bgls supplying flights not covered by UT2) had changed the trafficaircraft.bgl to trafficaircraft.utb, so that the default AI would not be shown in sim. Those fantasy airlines are all over the place, and I cannot eliminate them no matter how hard I try. I tried moving the trafficaircraft.utb and traffic1.bgl out of the FSX folder, they still show up. I read its possible an addon scenery author may have put duplicate traffic bgls somewhere. I am convinced the file is hidden away somewhere but I just cannot locate it. I even went so far as to open ttools to edit the trafficaircraft.utb to operate just one flight, but the problem still exists. And if a addon scenery file has included their own AI traffic file to populate with default ai, theoretically wouldn't it just populate that one airport, not the entire FSX world? Any advice on where to search for a possible duplicate?

Hello 'Fan,Since all traffic files contain the word "traffic" (or so I am led to believe), a simple Windows SEARCH for all files containing that word should show all traffic files and allow you to locate that errant default traffic file if there is one. And, yes, someone could have supplied another traffic file using default aircraft so if you find some traffic files that you can't account for, you could remove them all and then replace 1 at a time until those default aircraft show up again. That would be the culprit you are looking for.I use Ultimate Traffic and Ultimate GA (traffic for FS9) as well as military traffic, custom-made traffic and static traffic to populate local airports. As traffic is "just" moving scenery, they can be in ANY active scenery folder so I keep the default in its own separate folder that is NOT activated (but could be), Military traffic in its own folder, and static/local traffic bgls in another folder. That way each can be independently turned on or off.I have seen authors place pieces of their scenery even in the props folder (effectively hiding it from the unwary...) so don't presume to just look in 'normal' scenery folders only.Loyd

Thanks for the reply. I tried all kinds of searches derived from the word traffic, but nothing suspicious is coming up. I kept a copy of all the fs9 files before they were converted to fsx, so for the time being I'll use those, which solves the problem by overriding that mystery file. I'll lose boat traffic, but that is no big concern for me, I was mainly interested in seeing a/c depart according to fsx time, not fs9 time. Any of the big airlines I import to UT2 powertool.I also decompiled all my traffic bgls to see if they have the default ai in them, they were fine as well.Its a strange little puzzle for me, but I hope to solve it!

Hi 767 fan,you simply have to rename the file 'trafficAircraft.bgl' into 'trafficAircraft.bgl.passive' and the default traffic is gone for good. This file is located by default under C/Microsoft Games/FSX/scenery/World/scenery.Hope it helpsDunkelwald

I understand renaming the file extention for that file to disable it, I would have thought that having .utb instead of .bgl on the trafficaircraft.bgl would have done the trick. I tried changing it to .off and even deleted the file altogether yet the default ai still show up. I have done many searches looking for a "duplicate" file but nothing is appearing.

Hello, You might want to look in the scenery folders of any addon scenery you might have installed. I went throught the same thing after I installed the very nice freeware Daytona Beach scenery from here in the library. There was an included traffic file in the scenery. I think there was also one in the Aerosoft Tahiti Scenery that made default airlines show up.Good Luck,Kail

Thanks for listening,

Kail

I dont have either of those two scenery packages. I did find ai traffic files for two of my addon sceneries, but when I opened them up in TTools they do not reference the default jets I am seeing.This is a real pain to find out what is causing it, I don't know if I will ever resolve it. I am just going to stick with the fs9 bgls since they are only the obscure, military, and GA traffic.

Hi, I just wanted to let anyone interested to know I found the culprit file. It turned out to be a traffic file included with a addon airport I got here in AVSIM. It was Ken Burn's KSDF Louisville Photo Scenery (ksdf.zip), the file name is KSDFtraffic.bgl. I had seen this file before and discounted it being the culprit because:1.) I couldn't open it in TTools to see what was inside2.) I was expecting the "duplicate" file to be rather large (my disabled trafficaircraft.bgl is 22615kb, this particular file is 2400kb)Well it turned out to be the traffic file causing all the default AI to show up, and I found out by disabling all my addon sceneries and enabling one by one to find which one was the problem.This is not a gripe against Ken's scenery by any means, but if anyone has this scenery package you may save yourself some trouble by deleting the bgl I mention above in his folder.

BTW if you have FSX deluxe or gold you can install the sdk, and in there is a utility "traffic toolbox" which you can install and call up via menu in FSX. The traffic explorer function will open a window with listing of all active AI from traffic files, and among other interesting things shows the file name and path of the traffic file which generated any specific AI aircraft. Note that you must also install the correct sdk update to match your FSX (rtm, sp1, sp2, xcel).scott s..

Interesting, I didn't know the toolbox would show the specific bgl file creating the traffic. I use the toolbox all the time and had never noticed that before.

Interesting, I didn't know the toolbox would show the specific bgl file creating the traffic. I use the toolbox all the time and had never noticed that before.
Did you know you can take complete control of and fly an AI flight from the explore window?Or creat an AI flight on the spot and have it fly a saved flightplan - and even place it 20% of the way between wp2 and wp3. Makes it easy to practice air to air refueling without even the bother of creating a custom flightplan for a single tanker.This sim has been surprising me all 4 years...Loyd