Sign in to follow this  
Guest ralderfer

Any FS9 airport artists?

Guest ralderfer

Are there any FS9 airport designers out there who would be willing to redo my local "home base", while I try to learn the process?  I don't want stock stuff, I want custom, and the learning curve is steeper than I thought.  I would provide drawings, photos and other information.  It's a small GA airport - nothing too elaborate.I read somewhere that it's okay to ask, so I am...  :Nail Biting:Ron

Hello Ron,Please indicate your home airport and show pictures so as to whet appetites.Best regards.Luis

Guest ralderfer

Whet appetites, eh?   :(   I'll try to post something later tonight.

Guest ralderfer

OK, here we have a couple of views (real and FS9) of my home airport - Pennridge Airport in southeastern PA.  Now listed as KCKZ, it is known in FS9 as N70.It redid this airport in great detail when I was using "Fly!"; but I'm nowhere close to doing custom scenery in FS9 yet.As you can see, besides updating the buildings and surroundings, there are completely new hangers and parking areas in the NE corner of the property.Anybody's appetite whetted, yet?   :(

Looks like a nice, homey place, Ron, a good airport to have as a base. Shouldn't be too hard to put something together, and most of those buildings can be done quickly as generic buildings, so you won't even have to use gMax. Generic buildings are really easy to make, and there are a number of tools for that for FS9, although I don't have them off the top of my head, but surely David knows them. I imagine that you will need an aerial image as a background in order to draw the terrain and you can get that from the SBuilder Google site or Dick Ludowise's improved site - it should be listed somewhere on this forum or in the SBuilder forum.Best regards.Luis

Hi Ron and Luis.Here's a link to your airfield in RhumbaMaps:My_AirfieldYou'll need a web browser screenhot program to grab the larger map ( from the "Window" button )... name it MyAirfield.png, if saving bmp is not an option... then convert it to a bitmap with a paint program ( naming it "My_Airfield" )Copy the boundries text to a new text file named "My_Airfield.txt" With both of these in the same folder, you can now add the background map to SBuilder, without needing further calibration. Use those coordinates to add the image to ADE9x to make the runways, etc...A similar project was started here, and I walked the airfield developer through the SBuilder9 design.Dick

Guest ralderfer

Dick,Thanks very much for the links and info!  I can identify with the other developer's woes in learning something new.  LOLSince I will be adding to an existing FS9 airport, what sorts of things will I have to watch out for?  Exclusions?  Flattening more terrain?  Seems daunting, but I'm sure given enough time, I'll figure it out.Ron

Hi Ron and Luis.Here's a link to your airfield in RhumbaMaps:My_AirfieldYou'll need a web browser screenhot program to grab the larger map ( from the "Window" button )... name it MyAirfield.png, if saving bmp is not an option... then convert it to a bitmap with a paint program ( naming it "My_Airfield" )Copy the boundries text to a new text file named "My_Airfield.txt" With both of these in the same folder, you can now add the background map to SBuilder, without needing further calibration. Use those coordinates to add the image to ADE9x to make the runways, etc...A similar project was started here, and I walked the airfield developer through the SBuilder9 design.Dick
Hi Dick,Sorry to intrude, but can you recommend a good screenshot program? What do you use? I have had trouble finding a good program that will capture images larger than my screen resolution (currently 1600 x 1086).cheers,ZI have

I'm using Firefox with Screengrab addon. Works great but you can only save as jpg or png. ( Use png to avoid compression problems inherent in jpg , then convert to bmp ). There are a few for Firefox. Dick

I'm using Firefox with Screengrab addon. Works great but you can only save as jpg or png. ( Use png to avoid compression problems inherent in jpg , then convert to bmp ). There are a few for Firefox. Dick
Great, thanks!