Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Hyper Threading and FS9

After doing a quick test I am beginning to feel that, to my dismay, FS2004 is indeed NOT multi-threaded.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32333.jpgI took this screenshot with clouds and complex mesh terrain in plain view, and the sim is not paused. As you can see, CPU 1 is running near the 100% mark whereas CPU 2 is running near the 0% mark.I did notice that the thread counter decreased upon exiting the sim, but I have no way to tell what threads where created to begin with.Take note that I have 2 physical processors (not hyperthreading). I do have a new hyperthreading laptop but I have not yet installed FS2004 on it, so I cannot comment on any discrepancies with hyperthreading CPUs.

Guest Bigshot

Interesting read here: http://www.forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=10437 I have a PIV2.53 w/o HT and the 9700 Pro and FS2k4 runs extremely well. Noticeably, much better than FS2k2 ever did with more visuals on the screen.PS: I'm also running a clean XPHome without SP1 or any other upgrades. Only patch I've applied is the Blaster Patch.

Guest JeanLuc_

Although techie the answer is quite simple Ken:As a result of the HT processor identification support, the following HT-aware features are included in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family.

Guest Peyroteo

>I assume everyone knows that you must be running Windows>>2000 or XP to take advantage of Hyperthreading. Win9x and ME>>don't support multiple processors. >>Unfortunately Windows 2000 does NOT support HT correctly--it>does however support multiple processors. HT is the ONLY>reason I would move from Win2K Pro to XP.>>NoelHiI recentely upgrade my computer to a Intel P4 3.06 (HT). I do not start over o new win XP PRO instalation and the system detect the new 2 processors but the HAL do not. I get the follow information:If anyone still cares...The system most most likely recognize the second processor. The system will most likely not utilize it because hal HAL is based on a APCI Uniprocessor, not an ACPI multiprocessor. You can look at the "Computer" type in Device Manager and you'll see what I mean. Under the processors section you'll see that Windows has recognized the second processor. You can also look at the Task Manager under the performance tab to see if you have two processors being utilized. If you have two separate windows monitoring CPU usage, then you're using both, otherwise you're not. At this point you probably need to reload Windows to bring it in.For Win2k, you used to able to do this to invoke the second processor: refer to Q234558. At this point I'm researching how to manually update the HAL in XP as you could in 2000. -Neil HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server Microsoft Windows 2000 ProfessionalThis article was previously published under Q234558 IN THIS TASK SUMMARY Installing Support for Multiple CPUs REFERENCESSUMMARYWindows 2000 provides support for single or multiple Central Processing Units (CPU); however, if you originally installed Windows 2000 on a computer with a single CPU, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) on your computer must be updated for your computer to recognize and use multiple CPUs. This article describes how to add support for multiple processors in Windows 2000. In Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you can use the Uptomp.exe tool to add support for multiple CPUs. The Uptomp.exe tool is not used in Windows 2000, instead, you can use Device Manager to make these changes. Note that before you change the computer type, contact your computer manufacturer to determine if there is a vendor-specific HAL that you should use instead of the standard HAL that is included in Windows 2000. back to the top Installing Support for Multiple CPUs1. Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, and then click System. 2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. 3. Double-click to expand the Computer branch. Note the type of support that you currently have. 4. Double-click the computer type that is listed under the Computer branch, click the Drivers tab, click Update Driver, and then click Next. 5. Click Display a list of known drivers for this device, and then click Show all hardware of this device class. 6. Click the appropriate computer type (do not change from non-ACPI to ACPI computer types), click Next, and then click Finish.The following table lists and describes each HAL. HAL Description---------------------------------------------------------------------------ACPI MultiProc Use for a multiple-processor ACPI computer ACPI UniProc Use for a ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed Advanced Use for a single processor motherboard with singleConfiguration processor ACPI computerPower Interface PC Compaq Systempro Use for a Compaq Systempro computer MPS Uniprocessor PC Use on non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed MPS Multiproc PC Non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running Standard PC Any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. Could be a 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III Standard PC with C-Step i486 NOTE: You can use this procedure only to upgrade from a single-processor HAL to a multiple-processor HAL. If you use this procedure to change from a standard HAL to an ACPI HAL (for example, after a BIOS upgrade) or vice-versa, unexpected results may occur, including an inability to boot the computer. back to the top REFERENCESFor additional information how to troubleshoot Windows 2000 HAL issues, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 237556 Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues back to the top Last Reviewed: 5/14/2003 Keywords: kbHardware kbhowto kbHOWTOmaster KB234558 kbAudITPro ANYBODY KNOWS NOW HOW CAN I CHANGE THE HAL TO DETECT CORRETELY THE NEW PROCESSOR? i CAN

I contacted MS support as soon as I saw your message (Sunday, September 7). I got through in record time (Sunday morning must be a good time), talked with a rep in Nova Scotia who e-mailed me the fix while we were still on the phone. I was impressed!I will install the fix and report what I see later in the week.Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Guest FPSFREAK

Before I crack up over that user name, why not tell us what the fix involves instead of us having to wait. Or at least tell us were the fix is located. I find it strange that the fix was E-mailed to you. My question is, if it's an issue that needs a fix why is it not available on MS's site?ThanksBobby

Guest product

As to those great screenshots- I have a P4 3.06 533mhz, hyperthreading is enabled in the bios. I see exactly the same CPU usage (or lack thereof) as you show- the second CPU is hardly used while the first is cranking full steam. Very strange but I don't think we're the only ones... and I'm sure performance would get a big boost if both processors were working.Best,Joel

Guest FPSFREAK

These SS were taken from my test rig w FS9 loaded. All current drivers and 1009C bios. With HT enabled in my bios followed by a reboot after new hardware detection in XP I fired up the sim and with TM open this is what I see. Sure looks like both CPU's are being used in my machine. The only thing I have loaded on this machine besides XPPro is FS9, 32mark2001SE, 3Dmark03, Sandra Full 2003.Am I the only one w HT functioning. I get zero stutters and the only issue I have is menu flashing with 9700Pro. Same as my Sig rig.Let me know what you guys think.BobbyAs the sim loaded CPU ramped up to 100% along with CPU2http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/35703.jpgHard to see but I show 100% CPU usage for both CPU'shttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/35704.jpg

Guest JC2

There isn't any relation between multithreaded apps and support for multi-proc. I assure you that FS9 is multithreaded. Jim

Guest JC2

It's a hotfix that hasn't been fully regression tested. Therefore, you have to call Microsoft to get the fix.Unless the FS team is using large mapped files to share information between processes, FS won't be impacted by this issue.Jim

Guest JC2

FS9 IS multithreaded! If it weren't, it would be unflyable. The only reason that you are able to see scenery update, AI aircraft update, gauges update, etc. all at the same time is because of multi-threading. You don't need multiple procs in order to use a multi-threaded app. The two are not the same. Jim