Sign in to follow this  
Honus

FS9 blacks out!

I finally got the hang of RC 4.3 and was flying along nicely from KCLE to KPHX when 2 hours into flight, my screen goes black and I get that dreaded "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem and .... bla bla bla". You know the rest.At that moment RC was giving a command to change Center frequencies. I don't know if there was a connection or not, as this had never happened before when using the generic FS9 ATC. I really like the Autopilot options in RC where you can auto tune frequency changes and fly your route all on AP. I'm going to try the flight again this weekend and see if it happens again but just wondering if anyone had run into this. Not sure it was RC, it was just odd that the problem occurred the first time I used RC on Full A/P. Thanks

I finally got the hang of RC 4.3 and was flying along nicely from KCLE to KPHX when 2 hours into flight, my screen goes black and I get that dreaded "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem and .... bla bla bla". You know the rest.At that moment RC was giving a command to change Center frequencies. I don't know if there was a connection or not, as this had never happened before when using the generic FS9 ATC. I really like the Autopilot options in RC where you can auto tune frequency changes and fly your route all on AP. I'm going to try the flight again this weekend and see if it happens again but just wondering if anyone had run into this. Not sure it was RC, it was just odd that the problem occurred the first time I used RC on Full A/P. Thanks
Go to your start menu in Windows type EVENT VIEWER and look through the error messages to see what module in FS9 failed. That will give you a pretty good idea what went wrong. I really question if RC v4 caused the CTD.Bob

I finally got the hang of RC 4.3 and was flying along nicely from KCLE to KPHX when 2 hours into flight, my screen goes black and I get that dreaded "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem and .... bla bla bla". You know the rest.At that moment RC was giving a command to change Center frequencies.
Actually the blah blah bit would have been quite useful. I'm pretty sure it was relating to the ATC.DLL error that is encountered when switching to another frequency. To solve most of these problems paste the following line into the General section of FSUIPC.INI.RemoveATC=Yes

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've been having the same problem only it happenes on approach at about 50nm from 'A' (the arrival airport) when leaving the frequency to get weather.The screen goes black, then FS2004 reloads. Of course I loose RC in the process. It just happened when approaching KORD yesterday and again today when approaching CYYC Calgary.When I reload the flight plan I noticed that the ATIS frequency for the A airport is 118.00MHz when it should be 127.20 MHz for Calgary. (see in quote)

D/ATIS(11800) D/CD(12800) D/GND(12170) D/TWR(11990) D/DEP(12590) D/ARR(12650)A/ATIS(11800) A/GND(12130) A/TWR(11840) A/DEP(11980) A/ARR(12590)
When I changed the frequency' date=' on the second line, to read [b']12720[/b] and reflew the same plan everything worked fine.(no black screen and reloading of FS)D/ATIS(11800) D/CD(12800) D/GND(12170) D/TWR(11990) D/DEP(12590) D/ARR(12650)A/ATIS(12720) A/GND(12130) A/TWR(11840) A/DEP(11980) A/ARR(12590)I know the work around now, I just don't know the permenant solution.Actually at CYYC GND is 12190 and Clearance Delivery is 12130, but it doesn't affect the flight. All other frequencies are correct.I know the work-around, just don't know the permenant solution.I'm guessing I should run debug but am not sure at this point.Note: I have another problem as well, but I don't think it's related to Honus's problem.That is, I'm using FS9 but for some reason RC reads "Launch Radar Contact 4.3 for FS X."I don't even have FSX loaded on the computer any more.

I've been having the same problem only it happenes on approach at about 50nm from 'A' (the arrival airport) when leaving the frequency to get weather.The screen goes black, then FS2004 reloads. Of course I loose RC in the process. It just happened when approaching KORD yesterday and again today when approaching CYYC Calgary.When I reload the flight plan I noticed that the ATIS frequency for the A airport is 118.00MHz when it should be 127.20 MHz for Calgary. (see in quote)I know the work around now, I just don't know the permenant solution. I'm guessing I should run debug but am not sure at this point.
This is due to a bug in FS9 (not RC4) and although the suggested entry (above) in FSUIPC.INI will stop many of these crashes it won't stop them all. There is no cure unfortunately. I have no idea why 118.00 was set instead of 127.20, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Version 4 uses a fixed communications database in f4.csv located in RCV4\data. For CYYC the listing is:CYYC,Calgary Intl,114.8,121.3,121.3,118.4,0,0,125.9,119.8The first numeric field I believe is below comm frequency minimums so RC filled in its default 118.0 at runtime.If you wish to fix this make a safe backup copy of f4.csv somewhere. The in notepad (definitely not in a spreadsheet like Excel) open it and change that field as follows:CYYC,Calgary Intl,127.2,121.3,121.3,118.4,0,0,125.9,119.8not adding any spaces, etc., and save that file (as of type text but retaining the .csv extension).RC5 will pull frequencies from your installed scenery.Unfortunately in RC4, changes in frequency on the controller page do not stick for the next session (it does not modify f4.csv).Regarding the crash caused by common frequencies occurring two facilities switching in sequence is due to what Ray said and is a known FS9 issue when using any ATC application in place of FS9 ATC. If you don't use FS9 ATC for control, modify FSUIPC.ini as stated and it should help. This does not affect AI operations. Also be sure FS9 is has the 9.1 patch installed.

This is useful information. When I had my crash, I was FL 350 over Missouri somewhere, changing Center frequencies. My airports have had their frequencies changed per real life approach/center info pulled off the Internet. I did insert the line mentioned in the FSUIPC.ini so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait for RC5. That would be a bummer as RC has a lot of nice features.

Sometimes on an FS stagnant crash you can alt-tab to catch an error in a window that does not get pushed to the front focus, typically the windows crash dialog. You click details and that might give you a clue.

Version 4 uses a fixed communications database in f4.csv located in RCV4\data. For CYYC the listing is:CYYC,Calgary Intl,114.8,121.3,121.3,118.4,0,0,125.9,119.8The first numeric field I believe is below comm frequency minimums so RC filled in its default 118.0 at runtime.If you wish to fix this make a safe backup copy of f4.csv somewhere. The in notepad (definitely not in a spreadsheet like Excel) open it and change that field as follows:CYYC,Calgary Intl,127.2,121.3,121.3,118.4,0,0,125.9,119.8not adding any spaces, etc., and save that file (as of type text but retaining the .csv extension).RC5 will pull frequencies from your installed scenery.Unfortunately in RC4, changes in frequency on the controller page do not stick for the next session (it does not modify f4.csv).Regarding the crash caused by common frequencies occurring two facilities switching in sequence is due to what Ray said and is a known FS9 issue when using any ATC application in place of FS9 ATC. If you don't use FS9 ATC for control, modify FSUIPC.ini as stated and it should help. This does not affect AI operations. Also be sure FS9 is has the 9.1 patch installed.
Thanks Ron, That was the ticket. It solved the problem for Calgary.If I have anymore problems I know now where to change the frequencies.Dil

Well it's at least good to know what causes the crash. I hate it when things happen and the cause can't be found. I added that 'removeATC" line in my FSUIPC.ini so Saturday I'll try my KCLE - KPHX flight again and see if I can bring her in.