Sign in to follow this  
kittyatyi

JS41 flying circles when I switch to other program

Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced the following:Flying @ crusing alt, LNAV enabled. I switched to an other application - let's say Internet Explorer - and after two-three minutes, I find my Jetstream continuously banking to the left, so to speak, circling in the air. The first time I experienced this I thought I did soemthing wrong, the second time it was getting really strange, and I suspected it is related to switching to another program, and today it happened again, I just switched to IE for a couple of minutes and when I returned to the game, I found the airplane banking to the left and flying a nice circle rather than following its programmed route. I then set the next waypoint as DIRECT TO and the JS41 continued on as supposed to.I don't really understand why it starts to fly circles. Maybe it happens when I'm NOT INSIDE FSX but let's say in another program or for example Internet Explorer AND the airplane reaches the next waypoint - so it starts to fly around this point, maybe it's something else. Whatever it is, it only happens when I leave the simulator and return after a good while. Anyone has any ideas EXCEPT suggesting not to leave FSX:-)Thanks,Zsolt

Has never happened to me, and I have switched to other programs for extended periods.But, maybe this is a difference? Before I use another program, I always switch to windowed mode (Alt-Enter) (as opposed to minimizing FSX).

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Maybe yes, but even if this is the reason, it's not right, the navigation still should go on as normal. Well, I used to switch to windowed mode (ALT+ENTER) before, but nowadays I just simply use the WINDOWS button or ALT+TAB to switch to othe tasks. So maybe if I ALT+ENTER rather than minimizing the program will prevent this circling from happening. I will give it a try visiting other programs so that I go to windowed mode first and report the results.Thanks,Zsolt

Hi Zsolt, Like Bill I too have never seen this, although Bill probably has more flight time is this bird. I have used the Alt+Enter as well as Alt+Tab and then used Task Manager to get it back up. Neither have ever caused any issues for other than graphical errors before the fix. This leads me to believe of the possibility that maybe there is or was a keyboard shortcut struck that is tied to something in FSX. If your system was sub par then I would think it were possible, but since it's not don't see any reason the two could be tied together.Can you reproduce this 100% of the time? I'm just curious since I have sometimes seen very weird behavior and later found I must have just "fat fingered" a key.If you can reproduce it 100% of the time then check to see that both engines are running when you see the circling. Reason for that is related to an axis noise theory I'm debating which is doubtfully the case here.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Dan!I did reproduce twice and the circling happened always when I "returned" to FSX from other tasks. These tasks were: Internet Explorer and FSCommander 8.6 - nothing else. I am suspecting FSCommander as it has the ability to "fly" a plane BUT it has to be connected to FSX and it is NEVER connected in my case since I have a trial version only that has a time limit which exits the program after 30 minutes or something like that so I only use it in "offline" mode and for planning purposes only. But I will do a "test" flight without even opening FSCommander, but still visiting Internet Explorer. If no "circling" will happen, I will then do another flight with FSCommander running and I will again switch to other tasks and if the circling happens, maybe it is related to FSCommander somehow. I will also do a testflight without even leaving FSX to see if it happens or not. I will thoroughlt test every possibility:-)As I am new to the J41, I am additionally asking, what in fact can cause the airplane to start flying circles instead of flying its intended flight path? Just to add, the plane still flies level, no change in altitude, therefore no change in airspeed, the only weird thing is that it deviates from its path and flies nice circles. I will also observe the autopilot functions, if anything is somehow disconnected (nav mode, etc)... I'm just curious to find out why it happens.Thanks for your inputs,Zsolt

Is it possible that your joystick is tilted to the side when you switch out of FSX? Is the AP still connected when you switch back in?

Is it possible that your joystick is tilted to the side when you switch out of FSX? Is the AP still connected when you switch back in?
Hi Paul!I don't think it has anything to do with my joystick, because I never experienced anything like this with other addons, never. When I switch to other tasks, my joystick is out of the way and is back in duty when I return to FSX but anyway, if it's my joystick, why have I never experienced this using other aircraft? So I'm sure it's not the joystick.Yes, the autopilot is ON, an all the autopilot modes are functioning properly, I mean NAV is ON, ALT is ON, yet somehow the plane circles over a point.I just finished my first testflight, where I tested what happens if I don't leave FSX. Without even leaving FSX, without switching to any other task everything went normal, never a "wrong turn" taken. During the second test flight I will leave FSX several times for shorter and longer periods (without FS Commander running) and I will check for the following: AUTOPILOT STATUS, IS THE PLANE CIRCLING OVER A WAYPOINT OR JUST CIRCLING BETWEEN WAYPOINTS, WHAT IS THE PLANE DOING IF I DO NOT INTERACT, IS THERE ANY PITCH CHANGE, etc. I will report back.Thank you,Zsolt

Hi Zsolt, I had exactly the same issue just ONCE at the very beginning of my adventure with J41, I have no idea what triggered it and I had no chance to investigate it, I don't use any addons like REX, AS, "You name it" as I don't have cash to buy them (for now), so none of third party software could be the cause. The only thing I was doing "wrong" in that time was using J41 as default aircraft, now I run J41 via saved flight files and I don't have any issues, everything works like a charm.Cheers.smile.gif

Hi Grzegorz!"Good" to know that I am not alone:-) Active Sky is running on my computer but since you experienced the same thing WITHOUT any of these addons, I believe neither FSCommander nor Active Sky stands behind this. I am now "preparing" for the next test flight, where I will "wander" away from FSX a few times to see what happens, when, how and ... why?I am using the J41 this way:I have the "default" FSX default flight (basically I never changed the default flight), with the Trike at Friday Harbour. In fact I start FSX, and straigh away I go to free flight, replace the Trike with any J41 repaint in the "select aircraft" menu, then I choose the departure location, set time and date and let's fly! This results in the J41 originally being loaded up with the engines running so I run the Cold And Dark LUA script that shuts systems down for a keypress. From this cold and dark state I start up the aircraft. Thanks,Zsolt