Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Do you use FSX and FS9?

223 members have voted

1. 1. How many use both FSX and FS9

• FS9
    • FS9/FSX

I'm using FS9 and XP9... :( Sometimes I'm also testing the latest FG2 sources. But for now I don't think I'll use FSX.It will be interesting to compare the results of this poll with IVAO statistics. Most ATC network users (70%) are still using FS9.Happy flying ! :(

I have tried to use FSX on my intel Mac 3 GHZ rig, But it actually ran better on my older AMD 2.1GHZ PC, but never enough to run any kind of add on of any sort, so I am mainly FS9 as I've always been. Once in a great while I try to tweak FSX to no avail. I voted FS9 only. I am looking forward to the new version, and hopefully by then I can afford to get the lastest greatest system to run it.Warm regards, Jeff

Why have the poll in the first place? I thought we were way past this-unless Walter(Water Mango) is in charge now?
What a grump!

Hi,I have both installed, but rarely touch FSX.I don´t know what monster rig it takes to run FSX at reasonable FPS, definately not mine. And all the aircraft and airport add-ons of my interest only come in FS9.Thirdly, this introduction music of FSX really annoys me.. am I the only one?BR,Anders

Should we have one poll in the 'Hanger Chat' forum since the results are still inconclusive?Based on what I'm seeing in these two polls I have to amend my numbers:FS9 only - 40%FSX only - 40%FSX/FS9 - 20%Now the question is how big is the buying base between FS9 and FSX since people are either stuck on one or the other solely. It seems few are giving the apposing sim a chance in the slightest since. :(

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

FS9 all the way
Probably the same for me, so that's how I voted.I gave FSX a chance 3 (t-h-r-e-e) times and didn't fall in love. First I thought FSX might be nice for IFR (actually I still think so), due to the higher ground texture resolution (I don't care about animated giraffes).But I soon understoon it would mean spending a lot of money on quality GA planes, improving terrain with UTX and GEX, also losing my FSNav, etc. So looks like the cake's not worth the candle for me. I have a limited FS budget at present.
Now the question is how big is the buying base between FS9 and FSX
Not being a professional FS developer myself I can guess FSX sales are always higher for the simple reason that much much less has been made for FSX so far.Most of the planes or airports (or even tools) you think of already have addons for FS9. WIth FSX it is not the case and will not be for a long time to come (maybe never).So FSX owners have much stronger need to expand their virtual world with addons. Our FS9 world is pretty much complete. With some exceptions of course --> so IMHO developers don't have to worry about FS9 sales if they offer us something we do not have yet.Fortunately some developers do understand it or even changed their mind after saying something else and sell us their products.For example I'm very glad to see EDDM and LEBL coming out soon for FS9. However I realise they will also be released in the FSX versions, which is a safe (and smart) step from Aerosoft.We, FSimmers live in a dual world now, so dual platform products seem the best solution to me. If, however, a developer thinks different, I have no choice but to accept it.My choice is also FS9, especially for high altitude IFR, so both iFly 737 and Aerosoft airport offerings are honey to my ears when I hear they're made.I agree with Les (and many ohers) that PMDG 737NG v2 (or the 777 to come later) would be a great seller in the FS9 world. But they (PMDG) thought something else. Who lost because of that decision? Probably we all. Luckily there's iFly. :(

A very interesting poll if you ask me. But, first, this it´s a devoted flightsimmer poll, for people logged in AVSIM, not casual simmers, often posting in the forum, that is, "grognard" simmers if you ask me ( and that´s why FS9/FSX stil rocks in the poll most possibly). But , for MS at least, that´s not the majority of the users buying FS products. This would be interesting for users here (curiosity)and (in a way) for developers of add-ons, but MS (or any other developer) doesn´t relay on actual flying polls but on sales, and that´s something we may never know of. MS may not think on "how many users fly this or that" but on sales. The transition from FS9 to FSX is the slowest ever in FS franchise, but tightly related to hardware requirements, but that´ something unimportant for Microsoft, because they already got the money for devoted FS9 flyers already, even if we keep our copies in the shelf and not in the hardrive.

Iñigo Bildarratz

A very interesting poll if you ask me. But, first, this it´s a devoted flightsimmer poll, for people logged in AVSIM, not casual simmers, often posting in the forum, that is, "grognard" simmers if you ask me ( and that´s why FS9/FSX stil rocks in the poll most possibly). But , for MS at least, that´s not the majority of the users buying FS products. This would be interesting for users here (curiosity)and (in a way) for developers of add-ons, but MS (or any other developer) doesn´t relay on actual flying polls but on sales, and that´s something we may never know of. MS may not think on "how many users fly this or that" but on sales. The transition from FS9 to FSX is the slowest ever in FS franchise, but tightly related to hardware requirements, but that´ something unimportant for Microsoft, because they already got the money for devoted FS9 flyers already, even if we keep our copies in the shelf and not in the hardrive.
I'd like to post polls on other FS sites but the fact is most of them are are all but dead now. What I mean by that is the forms are all but inactive on sites like Flightsim.com and Simflight. What keeps me coming back to Avsim is this is one of the last places that have enough of us around to be engaged. Aerosoft is big on FSX and European simmers where as Avsim is more rounded in the locations of the simmers around the world. If I'm wrong please let me know but most FS forums have barely 5 people logging in all day. It would take me forever to get the data I got here in the last two days.

FS2020 

And BTW, I am an European in AVSIM
Like many of us here. I guess Les has made a bit sweeping statment. :wink:I haven't seen any national statistics here. It might be quite an interesting thing to know though.

Like many of us here. I guess Les has made a bit sweeping statment. :wink:I haven't seen any national statistics here. It might be quite an interesting thing to know though.
I didn't mean anything by this in only saying that on Aerosoft you get more people looking for products that cater to Europe whether it be scenery or airlines native to the region. Places like Avsim and Flightsim things are a bit broader where you get people from everywhere. Mathjis has stated most of their customers buy boxed products and are looking for European locations.

FS2020 

Just a thought... because this poll is in the FS9 forum... the results are probably a bit skewed.Also, you didn't offer a choice of FSX-only, yet offered a choice of FS9-only. That's what is considered an 'intentional' skew of result data.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Just a thought... because this poll is in the FS9 forum... the results are probably a bit skewed.Also, you didn't offer a choice of FSX-only, yet offered a choice of FS9-only. That's what is considered an 'intentional' skew of result data.
I put one poll in the FSX forum and one here. The logic is why have an 'FSX only' option in the FS9 forum and why have an 'FS9 only' option in the FSX forum. The goal in both forum polls for me was to find the percentage of dual users.

FS2020 

Then why not answer the question correctly in both polls and say your a dual user?
Should we have one poll in the 'Hanger Chat' forum since the results are still inconclusive?Based on what I'm seeing in these two polls I have to amend my numbers:FS9 only - 40%FSX only - 40%FSX/FS9 - 20%Now the question is how big is the buying base between FS9 and FSX since people are either stuck on one or the other solely.  It seems few are giving the apposing sim a chance in the slightest since.  :(
Actually, I did vote in both polls. That in itself corrupts the data as I voted twice whereas those who only fly one or the other will only vote once. I am not the only one to have voted twice. I alluded to voting twice, in both forums.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon