Sign in to follow this  
Sumits81

MD11 closing throttle automatically

Hi guys,Need some support.I've been flying the MD11 for over a year now on the same hardware. Nothing has changed except for recently installing FSCopilot/FSInn. I had a few flights after that as well; all successfully. However, recently (since Saturday) when I advance the throttles for taxi or takeoff the thrust closes uncommanded. I've been using registered FSUIPC to manage the control input and as mentioned nothing has changed. Can you please advise the reason and steps to fix this issue?Many thanks.Sumit S.

Hi Sumit, Please sign your full name to posts in this forum per forum rules, thanks.What version are you using? FSX or FS9?I figure I'll wait until that's answered since it may differ quite a bit.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Sumit, Please sign your full name to posts in this forum per forum rules, thanks.What version are you using? FSX or FS9?I figure I'll wait until that's answered since it may differ quite a bit.
Thanks Turbine777.I fly FSX mate. Sorry for not posting it in the earlier post. Cheers Sumit Sinha

No problem Sumit, I'm just not as familliar with FS9 so would have to look some things up.One thing that I'm sure you've seen before is FSX controls getting reset at times. Maybe not fully but sometimes it seems like things can get respawned for some reason. One thing that can happen is if while your in FSX and plug in a USB device (Not necessarily a controller) it can add a new string to the Standard.XML which is where FSX stores the control settings. Another thing that can happen is after you install updated drivers, or drivers that aren't MS signed. Because of this weird behavior I now make a backup of it after every install just incase I run into things like you're seeing.I would go into the control settings and flip through the drop down and triple check each device it has to make sure there is nothing else linked to throttle.Next check your FSUIPC settings again and make sure each throttle is set to "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" (this is if you use FSUIPC for your throttle imputs).The other culprit could be a corrupt FSUIPC.ini file.Either way we look at it, something seems to be telling FSX the position of the throttle should be closed so shouldn't take too much investigating to find out what's going on here :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

No problem Sumit, I'm just not as familliar with FS9 so would have to look some things up.One thing that I'm sure you've seen before is FSX controls getting reset at times. Maybe not fully but sometimes it seems like things can get respawned for some reason. One thing that can happen is if while your in FSX and plug in a USB device (Not necessarily a controller) it can add a new string to the Standard.XML which is where FSX stores the control settings. Another thing that can happen is after you install updated drivers, or drivers that aren't MS signed. Because of this weird behavior I now make a backup of it after every install just incase I run into things like you're seeing.I would go into the control settings and flip through the drop down and triple check each device it has to make sure there is nothing else linked to throttle.Next check your FSUIPC settings again and make sure each throttle is set to "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" (this is if you use FSUIPC for your throttle imputs).The other culprit could be a corrupt FSUIPC.ini file.Either way we look at it, something seems to be telling FSX the position of the throttle should be closed so shouldn't take too much investigating to find out what's going on here :(
Cheers Turbine777. Thanks for the detailed reply.I'll check FSUIPC again and get back here. Did a quick load-up a little while ago and all seemed fine once again. I dislike issues that come and go without me knowing the reason..makes me feel insecure as it could happen again. You mentioned that you 'backup it up'; do you mean you image/backup your FSX install? If yes, I've been thinking of doing the same. I've just ordered Acronis (backup/imaging software) to back FSX up onto my 1TB eSATA300 drive.ThanksSumit

Hi Sumit, As for the backup I don't make any image copies since I may choose to change things down the road and there are many things an image reinstall can blunder (like registry links). I just keep a folder called FS_BU (Back up) and put various files that I may need later. There are some files that you can later overwrite with these but important to note that some you cannot. For instance you should never replace your FSX.cfg with a back up from a previous install, or the controls file (Standard.xml). Instead I use them to copy and paste certain things line by line. I backup tons of things, like my FS documents for saved flights, my flight log and awards.bin etc... I also make a complete backup of my Airplanes folder and after a reinstall of all my payware aircraft I just drag and drop that and allow overwriting. This keeps me from needing to reinstall all of my liveries (and also keeps my ADD/Remove list in control panel a little less cluttered :wink:I have had issues with overwriting an old FSUIPC.ini although I read this shouldn't present any issues. Perhaps in my case it was coincidence but ended up having to do it all over from scratch.Creating an image isn't a bad idea if it's your hole drive but normally you can't access an image as you can a folder when you want to just grab something here and there.I too hate it when an issue comes and goes and I can't get behind what was causing it. It drives me crazy. I rather have it be a problem 100% of the time than once in a while since it makes any logical troubleshooting more tedious.

Dan Prunier

Thanks Dan.Come to think of it, your method of backups makes more sense to me now. There is method in your madness, sir! If you can, can you provide an 'essentials' list of things to backup in FSX?Did another few flights today and the MD11 is performing OK (knock on wood!).Cheers,Sumit

Haha, please I am no "Sir" :(, I use to do as everyone does and spend days reinstalling FSX and my addons until finally one day I decided to actually write down my install order and tweak list. That way if I stop simming for a while I have my text file readily available that can walk me thru everything step by step (yes, I wrote it to myself and in a "For Dummies" way, haha. Thank god I did since otherwise I would wonder what I was talking about!).As for backups, I'm glad you mentioned it since I don't have a separate list for that. I do though have my FSX_BU folder so can see everything in there and then each time it's time for a new BU I just overwrite the old. Here's my list but may list some addons you might not be using:

• FSX
    • Standard.xml from C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls (Never overwrite a new with an old)
    • Flight Simulator X Files - Found in My Documents (Mainly the only thing in here I save is "Logbook.BIN" and any flights I may want
    • My FSX Pictures in my FSX Pictures folder of my screenshots (Although I seldom do this)
    • My Modules folder - found in (for me) D:\Hangar\FSX\Modules - This for me has several addon modules that I won't need to reinstall, just plop in my new install like FSWidgets. It also has the FSUIPC.ini and key etc...
    • Of course the almighty FSX.CFG (Never overwrite a new with an old)
    • GrantedRewards.BIN that is found in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    • Navigraph data - If just reinstalling FSX this doesn't have to happen, but I often back up my databases for when I do a complete format. This backup is where ever you told it when backing up, I also backup or save my latest FMC navdata cycle I downloaded as well as one before it incase I see anything I want to troubleshoot.

[*]Some Addon Back-ups

• FSWidgets EFBFSX.ini in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming
    • My UT2 folder in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2 (I change a lot of settings and database stuff so that's the only reason I do this).
    • FollowMe (an addon that gives you a car to follow rather than the progressive taxi line crap). Whole folder and allow overwrite on reinstall.
    • Various Flight1 keys, these locations will differ to where ever you installed from and are not a big deal.
    • ASE snapshots in: C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\ASE\Snapshot
    • FSP complete folder, located in the FSX directory for those using it.
    • My complete Airplane folder in Simobjects (This saves tons and tons of time, just remember you still need to reinstall the actual program for this to work)
    • My custom voice sets I made for FSX ATC, with all my airline names (not all of course appropriate for young viewers/listeners).
    • etc...

There are more things I back up as well for certain addons. For peolpe that use FSDT airports there are keys to be saved. Walk and Follow, the activation of this product is soooo annoying that I found the key so put that in it's rightful location after I reinstall. There are a lot like that I rather not list since I do own them but rather not give hackers and crackers any good info :) I also am doing this just to help people think before they reinstall or make it easier. It's not my goal to help people rip off any companies hard work.It pays to occasionally look in you C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local and your C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming to see what you may be missing for your favorite addons. You need to turn on "Show hidden Folders" for these to see them. Just browse through them and if your forgetting something, I'm sure it will ring a bell when you see the folder :)I also ALWAYS back up every addon I ever download (Payware of course, and the freewares I like also get backed up). My Addons folder (Zipped) is 79GB. That includes my backups.Hope this helps! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Dan Prunier

Cheers mate! Thanks a ton for that hefty list! Got delivery of my Acronis software today! I'll probably still use it to image FSX data and other important stuff. I'll follow your list and ensure I've got a tick next to everything.Thanks once again Dan.Good weekend mate!Sumit