Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What I want to know

What most remember is Phil Taylors "Taximony" thread where he hinted that FSX/SP2/DX10 Compatible products would likely be FS Next Compatible.Of course Phil moved on and MS is not bound by his statements but it does provide 'food for thought."
As I recall Phil Taylor left Microsoft while FSNext (FSX+) was still being developed. Since then ACES has been closed and Flight announced. I'm not sure that we can read much now into what Phil said then.

As I recall Phil Taylor left Microsoft while FSNext (FSX+) was still being developed. Since then ACES has been closed and Flight announced. I'm not sure that we can read much now into what Phil said then.
I said as much in my post. I also stated that my post is provided as "food for thought" since most folks are enjoying their speculation.Another thing to remember is that Flight is still a Flight Simulation product and MS has historically made important information available to the third party development community at appropriate times.Big%20Grin.gif

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I said as much in my post. I also stated that my post is provided as "food for thought" since most folks are enjoying their speculation.Another thing to remember is that Flight is still a Flight Simulation product and MS has historically made important information available to the third party development community at appropriate times.Big%20Grin.gif
I'm not disagreeing, just speculatiingFlight is also a Games for Windows product. Has Microsoft historically made important information available to the third party development community at appropriate times for Games for Windows?

I do appreciate having the default GPS in FSX, but honestly I still prefer to use RXP.
Which, oddly enough would do absolutely nothing useful in FSX were the default GPS engine absent from the sim... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Which, oddly enough would do absolutely nothing useful in FSX were the default GPS engine absent from the sim... :(
I’d admit there’s a fine line :( The depth of the SDK comes out of MS actually building these kinds of solutions.If MS hadn’t built their Garmin500 GPS and the infrastructure behind it the majority of developers would be setback.So there’s definitely a case for a native FMC…even if I’m not convinced :)The RXP GPS predates MS’s GPS and, as far as I know, still works entirely independent of it.The UPS Appalo GX also predated any native FS GPS methods.So, on the contrary their utility has gone down now that a default GPS engine is present.I’m certainly not against MS developing systems that 3PD’s already offer.But I think it takes resources away from MS’s core tasks too.I wonder, would I rather have a new FMC or a better game engine?

I wonder, would I rather have a new FMC or a better game engine?
There's no way I'm giving up the FMC in my Cessna! :( Oh yeah, don't need a FMC for a Cessna C172. But making it so it could be developed is paramount IMO. I view the program as a foundation for others to build upon. The foundation needs to be solid and firm, as the majority of the buyers will never expand past that level. Any SDKs open up the niche markets that are so well represented in the forums. It's true in the past, in the present and will be in the future that there will be those who want their niche product thrown into the base package. I don't want to pay for other's niche desires. Let me go find someone who makes an add on for my niche and I'll pay for it if I want it badly enough. Any more, I just want the ability to enhance the sim on my own, because I can't beat the price involved! :(

The RXP GPS predates MS’s GPS and, as far as I know, still works entirely independent of it.The UPS Appalo GX also predated any native FS GPS methods.So, on the contrary their utility has gone down now that a default GPS engine is present.
Um, actually the FS8 GPS engine came long before RXP was even thought about, IFRC. The only real change that occurred was with the release of FS9, when the first G500 and G296 made their debut. The only real improvement was to the gps database and search engine to provide XML access.Yes, the RXP units are "independent" of the FS gps engine, but were the database not present, there'd be nowhere to fly to and from with it... :( In any event, I'd rather that the database be made "updatable" than for them to spend time coding something such as an FMC/FMS that would only be on interest to a tiny minority of owners.

Fr. Bill    

Yes, the RXP units are "independent" of the FS gps engine, but were the database not present, there'd be nowhere to fly to and from with it... :(
Lol, my memory is rusty, so I stand to be corrected :)I'm pretty sure RXP’s UPS Apollo was actually introduced for FS7.It just may have used FS data directly; but as I recall it generated a custom database from FS nav-aids…it was built when you first installed the gauge. There was a native GPS at the time but it was very rudimentary.As I recall the GNS came in the dying days of FS7 too, but I know I didn’t have it until FS8. I’m fairly certain the GNS uses a database from the Garmin Trainer - not FS.The navData is updated independent of FS (and at the whim of Garmin)But I'd venture all newer GPS's use the FS database...because there's good reason to do so.So I agree with your Premise -Thinking back I’m starting to feel nostalgic for the very first FMC...PIC767.

Fr. Bill, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but RXP's GNS units use their own separate database that comes from the standalone Garmin trainer - they have nothing at all to do with FS's internal navdata. If fact you can actually update the database for the GNS 430W/530W by downloading the newer G600 trainer and copying some files over. Jean-Luc at RXP has hinted that they're working with Garmin and Jeppessen on an updatable navdata solution too - he showed screenshots of their GNS with a fully up to date navdata cycle a few months ago...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I really hope this is a ground up game, FSX looks very outdated even with 3rd party addons.

Fr. Bill, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but RXP's GNS units use their own separate database that comes from the standalone Garmin trainer - they have nothing at all to do with FS's internal navdata.
Of course it does! I've known that since Jean-Luc and I first met years ago. That very fact also leads to the same issue that FMC/FMS systems that utilize the "Navigraph" database have, and that is a sometimes severe disconnect with the "fixed-in-time FS World."Were it not for the Garmin Trainer, there would most likely be no RXP at all, it being a very clever shell program (i.e., front end) for the trainer. It is a truly brilliant bit of work nonetheless.But, you've missed the point I've been trying to make, which is simply that if the sim didn't have a system in place already, there'd be no point to having any GPS at all, external database notwithstanding...The optimum situation would be for all GPS/FMS/FMC systems to use the actual sim database for off-line flying, and the real world database for on-line flying. That is a unique feature of the UNS-1 that will be featured in the CJ1+ whenever the rest of the systems are complete. The simpilot will select which database to use prior to flight.

Fr. Bill    

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.