Sign in to follow this  
Gaiiden

Scenery add-on issues

Hey everyone, I installed my first scenery add-on today with the help of AddIt and have come across two problems. First, and possibly not even related directly to the scenery, is some minor tears in the runway textures. You can see here that the runway texture has been torn, but if I shift the view over just slightly, like this, they are fine. I suspect this is a graphical issue unrelated to the scenery and if anyone has any suggestions for it please let me know. I am using REX with TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. I've noticed even worse tearing when I would change graphics settings within FSX and forget to reset TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD from 1024 to 4096.Second, and definitely related to the scenery, are these black aircraft and buildings. Obviously they are missing textures, so I wonder if I screwed up something in the install. I'm keeping as much add-on stuff off my main drive (where FSX itself is installed) to save space for other games I'm playing. So while FSX is on my C:\ drive, I am loading as much add-ons as I can on my F:\ drive (some specify they must be installed in the main FSX directory). Using AddIt, I installed everything to the F:\ drive, but I'm wondering is some textures must be installed to the main FSX addon scenery/texture folder?The scenery I installed was KTEB by Eric McCloud.I put the Teterboro Airport/Teterboro KTEB/Scenery/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/SceneryI put the Teterboro Airport/Teterboro KTEB/Texture/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/Texture/Group1I put the Teterboro Airport/Texture/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/Texture/Group2 (should I have put these in fsx/addon scenery/textures instead?) As always, thanks in advance for the great help and support I get here.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Hey everyone, I installed my first scenery add-on today with the help of AddIt and have come across two problems. First, and possibly not even related directly to the scenery, is some minor tears in the runway textures. You can see here that the runway texture has been torn, but if I shift the view over just slightly, like this, they are fine. I suspect this is a graphical issue unrelated to the scenery and if anyone has any suggestions for it please let me know. I am using REX with TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. I've noticed even worse tearing when I would change graphics settings within FSX and forget to reset TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD from 1024 to 4096.Second, and definitely related to the scenery, are these black aircraft and buildings. Obviously they are missing textures, so I wonder if I screwed up something in the install. I'm keeping as much add-on stuff off my main drive (where FSX itself is installed) to save space for other games I'm playing. So while FSX is on my C:\ drive, I am loading as much add-ons as I can on my F:\ drive (some specify they must be installed in the main FSX directory). Using AddIt, I installed everything to the F:\ drive, but I'm wondering is some textures must be installed to the main FSX addon scenery/texture folder?The scenery I installed was KTEB by Eric McCloud.I put the Teterboro Airport/Teterboro KTEB/Scenery/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/SceneryI put the Teterboro Airport/Teterboro KTEB/Texture/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/Texture/Group1I put the Teterboro Airport/Texture/ files from the ZIP in F:/KTEB/Texture/Group2 (should I have put these in fsx/addon scenery/textures instead?) As always, thanks in advance for the great help and support I get here.
RE: The Teterboro installation -I believe you have made this harder than it needs to be.I assume you unzipped the package to a tempory folder first.If so you should be seeing the following:a folder named Teterboro KTEBa folder name texturesa file named KTEB installaltion!!!!!.txtand 9 pictures (jpgs)The entire folder named Teterboro KTEB is to be placed in your Addon scenery folder (or wherever you place such airport enhancements) and then it is to be activated (added) via the Scenery Library dialogue.All of the individual textures (32 bmps) which are found in the folder named textures are to be placed into your FSX default texture folder. Not the folder named textures but the 32 files inside that folder.This is exactly what the author's instructions direct you to do.You do not create any Group 1 or Group 2 at all.Hope that helps.

Actually I tried it via the install instructions first, but when I went to activate it in FSX it wouldn't let me. I placed the "Teterboro KTEB" folder in "addon scenery/scenery/" and then tried to add it but when I selected the "Teterboro KTEB" folder and hit OK, nothing would happen. A few times I got an error message. Reading the instructions further, they say:"3) You will need to activate it within FSX by going to scenery library and adding it....thats it. FSX does have an issue with this sometimes, so if you cant install it from inside FSX, then download and install the freeware Program called Addit! Pro for Flight Simulator X, works like a charm."So that's what made me go the AddIt route.

All of the individual textures (32 bmps) which are found in the folder named textures are to be placed into your FSX default texture folder. Not the folder named textures but the 32 files inside that folder.This is exactly what the author's instructions direct you to do.
Actually, the instructions tell me to:"2) Next, place the Teterboro KTEB folder inside the Addon Scenery folder, and then copy all the files inside the other folder (textures) inside the Addon Scenery\texture folder....its very important to do this so the textures show on some of the hangers."But I did what you suggested and it worked, so the instructions were mistaken for that point. I still have 3 jet hangars that remain untextured (tried twice copying all the files into the default texture folder to make sure I had them all). But that's not so bad.Thank you! If anyone has further suggestions on the shearing or the 3 missing hangar textures, I would be grateful.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Actually I tried it via the install instructions first, but when I went to activate it in FSX it wouldn't let me. I placed the "Teterboro KTEB" folder in "addon scenery/scenery/" and then tried to add it but when I selected the "Teterboro KTEB" folder and hit OK, nothing would happen. A few times I got an error message. Reading the instructions further, they say:"3) You will need to activate it within FSX by going to scenery library and adding it....thats it. FSX does have an issue with this sometimes, so if you cant install it from inside FSX, then download and install the freeware Program called Addit! Pro for Flight Simulator X, works like a charm."So that's what made me go the AddIt route.Actually, the instructions tell me to:"2) Next, place the Teterboro KTEB folder inside the Addon Scenery folder, and then copy all the files inside the other folder (textures) inside the Addon Scenery\texture folder....its very important to do this so the textures show on some of the hangers."But I did what you suggested and it worked, so the instructions were mistaken for that point. I still have 3 jet hangars that remain untextured (tried twice copying all the files into the default texture folder to make sure I had them all). But that's not so bad.Thank you! If anyone has further suggestions on the shearing or the 3 missing hangar textures, I would be grateful.
I don't believe you have told us what Operating System you are using (or perhaps I missed it) - XP, Vista or Win 7?If Win 7 there is a know bug that has to be worked around when adding scenery - let us know and we can direct you to a video showing how it is done. It is very possible that using Addit Pro was really not necessary.I have installed the package (following the authors instructions exactly) in my FSX with SP 1 and 2 (No Acceleration) setup and see no missing hangar textures nor any tearing. I do not have any other terrain enhancements installed.Perhaps you could post a screen shot showing the hangars you believe to be missing textures.

I'm on Windows 7 x64So I tried another scenery and looks like my FSX Scenery Library does not want to cooperate. For example:1) I click the add button2) the dialog pops up and I navigate to the Aerosoft folder in my main FSX directory3) I select the folder "Manhattan X" and re-name the layer to "Manhattan X2" since the scenery library already has Manhattan X installed.4) I click "ok" and the file tree takes me into the "Manhattan X" folder to display the "Scenery" and "Texture" folders.5) I type in just the plain Manhattan X directory path into the box below the file tree and hit "ok". Nothing happensThis is the same for any folder I try to add. It always opens the folder I select instead of adding it to the library!However, I located the Scenery.cfg file (there are three of them for cripes sake but luckily AddIt listed the directory of the file it opened to edit when I chose to modify scenery, so I found it in the Program Data/Microsoft/FSX/ folder) and added the new scenery manually.Oh and taking the KTEB texture files out of the Group1 folder and placing them in the KTEB/Texture folder alone fixed the problem with the 3 missing hangar textures.Well, quite the learning experience. I think I should be good to go now. I'll just have to do everything manually ;)But if anyone has any suggestions for the graphical texture shearing I'm still experiencing (only at this airport so far, strangely - and even before I had the custom scenery installed), I'd love to hear em!In regards to the shearing, I have the following installed:MegaScenery Earth coverage for the entire NJ/Long Island areaUltimate Terrain XGround Environment XUltimate Traffic 2REXManhattan X

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

I'm on Windows 7 x64So I tried another scenery and looks like my FSX Scenery Library does not want to cooperate. For example:1) I click the add button2) the dialog pops up and I navigate to the Aerosoft folder in my main FSX directory3) I select the folder "Manhattan X" and re-name the layer to "Manhattan X2" since the scenery library already has Manhattan X installed.4) I click "ok" and the file tree takes me into the "Manhattan X" folder to display the "Scenery" and "Texture" folders.5) I type in just the plain Manhattan X directory path into the box below the file tree and hit "ok". Nothing happensThis is the same for any folder I try to add. It always opens the folder I select instead of adding it to the library!However, I located the Scenery.cfg file (there are three of them for cripes sake but luckily AddIt listed the directory of the file it opened to edit when I chose to modify scenery, so I found it in the Program Data/Microsoft/FSX/ folder) and added the new scenery manually.Oh and taking the KTEB texture files out of the Group1 folder and placing them in the KTEB/Texture folder alone fixed the problem with the 3 missing hangar textures.Well, quite the learning experience. I think I should be good to go now. I'll just have to do everything manually ;)But if anyone has any suggestions for the graphical texture shearing I'm still experiencing (only at this airport so far, strangely - and even before I had the custom scenery installed), I'd love to hear em!In regards to the shearing, I have the following installed:MegaScenery Earth coverage for the entire NJ/Long Island areaUltimate Terrain XGround Environment XUltimate Traffic 2REXManhattan X
RE: Adding Scenery in Win 7 -Here are two great explanations - the first has step by step instructions with pictures, the second is a link to a video showing how it is done. No need to use any third party utility at all.http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432And the video:http://iblueyonder.com/video-tutorial-adding-scenery-to-fsx-in-windows-7/It is easy once you have done it a few times.

Wow look at that. Crazy!Thanks so much, that'll make things easier and you're right I no longer need to bother with 3rd party installers. Rock on!

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Wow look at that. Crazy!Thanks so much, that'll make things easier and you're right I no longer need to bother with 3rd party installers. Rock on!
I can't help you with the tearing issue - as I could not duplicate it on my default setup.In my experience that usually happens when there is an elevation mis-match between a terrain enhancement and the airport enhancement. Sometimes a properly placed "flatten" covering the airport property will correct the issue.Hopefully someone else will chime in on that issue.

I couldn't reproduce any problem either in preview dx10 or dx9 modes. I did note the author lowered airport elevation from 2.743 to 2.742, I guess so the compass rose that sits on the apron at one point would appear correctly. That might cause a texture flash on the runway but I have my mesh settings cranked up and that might make a difference. OP might try different mesh settings and see if the problem goes away.scott s..

Thanks guys. I noticed it again at KEWR. I'll try adjusting the mesh to see if that helps at all.What is this "flatten"? Sounds like a command but I have no idea how to implement it.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Thanks guys. I noticed it again at KEWR. I'll try adjusting the mesh to see if that helps at all.What is this "flatten"? Sounds like a command but I have no idea how to implement it.
A "flatten" is normally a bgl file which is created with one of several available utilities. I use FSTflatten by Steve Greenwood when I make them.It is basically a polygon, in whatever shape you need to cover the airport property, which sets the elevation of the terrain covered by that polygon to a height which you specify. Usually one would use the airport's elevation and the flatten would raise or lower the terrain to match that figure.The utility I mentioned is available here:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/welcome.shtml